Skip to main content
Topic: recomendations (Read 820 times) previous topic - next topic

recomendations

Hi all, i have been lurking, learning and listening to alot of people but im in need of some help.  I am going to rebuild my engine and i am in need of some recommendations.  like cam, rods, and a few other things. let me give a description of what i am planning on using and what i want the car to do. the car is going to be fuel injected with mass air flow setup, using a built AOD transmission with about a 2400 stall.  i will more than likely use a set of shorty equal length headers, but i have a set of long tube headers i can use as well (whichever is better).  when i rebuild the engine i plan on using a stock, machined crank, forged pistons, heavily ported gt40p heads, roller rockers, a 302 truck lower intake, and a modified truck upper or im going to find a box style upper intake to fit the lower since the truck lower has bigger runners.  im going to use 19lb injectors at first unless they are maxed out then i will go with a set of 24 lb injectors.  this car will be  a street car with a little bit of a drag strip time too. with a 2400 stall i would like the power band to be around 2000 - 6500 rpm. 

phew..... that was long...  oh btw sorry for such a long post but i figured u guys would need to know what im planning or else you guys wouldnt know what to recommend.

i would like to know what cam should i use.  i dont think ill be going turbo/supercharged anytime soon,  yet there is a possibility in the near future.  if i do super/turbo the car, i will change the whole engine with it. 
Also i would like to know what kind of rods i should use.  get the stock ones reconditiond, or save my money and go with a set of i or h-beam rods.  i dont know how much power i plan on making.  i plan on having less than a 10:1 compression ratio, and i dont plan on ever spinning the engine faster than 6500, unless the spark box decides to take a dump. 
again sorry its so long of a thread,  but i figured i would throw all my info in at once instead of over 10 or so posts. 
thanks, kevin
86 t-bird 226k miles and blown transmission

recomendations

Reply #1
Forget the truck intake, get a GT40 style from a Explorer... Stock rods are fine, even most of the supercharged guys run them... The stock computer cuts fuel at 6250, you'll need a chip to spin it higher...

For cam you can spend a bunch of money or buy the Stage-1 Trick Flow that Summit sells... It's a hellva street cam, nice lope but not too much, likes a 3000-3200 stall converter...

recomendations

Reply #2
im having a hard time finding the Stage-1  trick flow cams.  i found the 3 track max cams there is one that is a .499/.510, a .542/.563, and .574/.595.  i am assuming that stage 1 is the .499/.510.  i already have a B&M 2400 stall,  and i would like to use it, but if i need to get another one i could.

recomendations

Reply #3
The .499/.510 is the one... I think the Corral guys started referring to those as Stage-1, 2, & 3...

It'll run OK with a 2400 stall but a little more would be better... I run it with the TF heads, a 2600 stall & 3.73 gears... On a cool 50* night she ran a 13.11 @ 105, with more stall, would have been a 12 sec time... BTW my car isn't stripped, it's fully optioned with all accessories(AC, cruse etc) in place and working, a fat girl for sure... Race weight with me, was over 3700 lbs...

The 1/8th mile time was 8.42, and since it's ran 8.40/8.41 a few times down at the little track in NC, still running the 2600...

BTW any cam that makes power like the TF will absolutely require Mass Air, don't even think about trying it on speed densety...

recomendations

Reply #4
yea i figured that any fat cam like that wont have enough vacuum for the map sensor.  well im going to sell my 2400 and try to find a 3000+ stall converter.  so i can run a big lift/ big duration.  i talked with my local engine builder, and he is saying that with a big valved gt40p head combo i should try to find a 550 + cam with 286 or better duration with cam specs from 2000-6000 or 6500.  he is also willing to help me out with some flow bench time on my heads too!!!

recomendations

Reply #5
sorry for extra post, but locally all we have is 1/8th.  i'd love to get into the low 7's but mid to high 7's is more realistic for me and my budget.  oh no a/c btw.