Skip to main content
Topic: Tranny Overhaul (Read 818 times) previous topic - next topic

Tranny Overhaul

I need to rebuild my C5 out of a 86 cougar.  Ive never dug to far into a trans before. On my 97 tbird I pulled the valve body to do a J mod and upgraded some valves.

I have a overhaul book and have many shortcuts saved to my computer with some helpful info to do it. But is this something that can be done by someone that has never done it? What special tools would be needed. Or would you just recommend taking it to a shop and getting over charged?

I attached a pic of my project. Its a 3.8L thunderbird sc motor from a  89supercoupe transplanted into a 88 mustang Lx. :burnout:

No tune and a  tranny and it still gave me a WOODY :rollin:

Thanks
Doug

Tranny Overhaul

Reply #1
Nice project. Yes you can rebuild that c5. It is basicaly a c4 anyway. Two things:

1). Take your time and replace everything. You will need compressed air and a few tools that you will have to buy/borrow/make.

2). Clean. Think of it as your heart/eye/brain, whatever. Clean, as in hospital clean. Everywhere, all the time.

The last c5 I built is over 15 years old and still works better than when ford did it. I used to get lots of practice, but not much lately. I don't have the space or money for that right now.

Tranny Overhaul

Reply #2
you will need a clutch pack piston depressor, or take the stuff that you will need special tools to a trans shop.
86 t-bird 226k miles and blown transmission