Skip to main content
Topic: The turbo dilemma continues... (Read 1125 times) previous topic - next topic

The turbo dilemma continues...

I can't find a single dealer that sells watercooled T3's.  Or any watercooled turbo for that matter.  Has anyone ever run an oilcooled only turbo?  Seems awful dangerous... 

Let me know if you can any water/oil cooled turbos around or where you got yours.  Thanks...

Reply #1
Yeah the factory 83-84 Turbo coupe had the non water cooled version. And I didn't order a water cooled on but I did ask for one for an 86 turbo coupe that came with the water cooling. The ones I've seen you can run both ways with or without the water. I Bought mine form Turbo City. Been about 7-8yrs now and all is well. You might even try Evergreen turbo that is where guys over at turbo ford swear by. I guess Charlie at evergreen is a member of turboford and knows what to get you for a 2.3t setup.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #2
For what it's worth, a junkyard near Marietta, OH has an '86 TC and an '88 XR4Ti with water-cooled turbos. I've checked both for shaft play and they seem to be decent. I don't remember the finshiznitting the compressor housing.
You could probably snag one for less than $100.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #3
Yea there's an '86 TC in a yard about 10 minutes from me that the guy wants $50 for.  I kind of want to just do it "right" though.  If I don't sell the car at SuperFord I'm probably going to be driving it for a while.  Thanks for the info, guys!

Edit:  Is this the one you went for?  There's one for an '85-'86 T-Bird but it's for auto.

http://www.turbocity.com/product_info.php?cPath=15_18&products_id=272

Reply #4
Quote from: tc²;243780

Edit:  Is this the one you went for?  There's one for an '85-'86 T-Bird but it's for auto.

http://www.turbocity.com/product_info.php?cPath=15_18&products_id=272

Must be the same one. It doesn't matter 5spd or auto same turbo. The only difference was the boost setting from 5spd to auto.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #5
(Must be the same one. It doesn't matter 5spd or auto same turbo. The only difference was the boost setting from 5spd to auto.)
In 87 and 88 they used the same turbo, with the computer limiting boost on the automatics.  The 83 thru 86 cars actually used t-3 with a smaller a/r number for the auto cars.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

Reply #6
the only reason for a water cooled turbo is so that you dont have to cool down the turbo by letting the car idle after long trips at wot then going to shut the car off,  like getting on the freeway and then having to get right back off.  now keep in mind that it doesnt mean you can go to the drag stip run a 1/4 at WOT, and shut down immediately after you have crossed 1/4 mile mark,  you still need to let it cool for at least 2-3 mins.
86 t-bird 226k miles and blown transmission

Reply #7
Yea, I've always let the car sit for atleast 5 minutes.  Thanks again for all the great info everyone.

Reply #8
Quote from: jangus;243817
In 87 and 88 they used the same turbo, with the computer limiting boost on the automatics.  The 83 thru 86 cars actually used t-3 with a smaller a/r number for the auto cars.

With that being said, is there a performance advantage using a 5-spd turbo on an automatic pre-87 car?

Reply #9
Using a 5speed turbo (.63 A/R) as opposed to an auto turbo(.48 AR)
will result in being able to run a few more pound of boost before it runs out of breath.  It'll also do it without heating the boost charge up as much. The only down side will be a slightly slower spool up.  But just put a ported E-6 on, and thats taken care of.
Your trans life will be shortened.  I would recommend the largest trans cooler you can afford, and install a tranny temp gauge to keep track of things.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.