Skip to main content
Topic: PS fluid GONE!!! (Read 1284 times) previous topic - next topic

PS fluid GONE!!!

I pulled into work today and i go to swing around so I can back into my spot and I hear a whine over the radio... turn it off and its the PS pump. Right off the bat I assume the worse and think the pump is out. No its just out of fluid COMPLETELY.

I changed the pressure side hose under a year ago so it shouldnt be that. I really didnt have time to look at it since Im at work and its dark. It wasnt like it started off and got worse. It started and was screaming! So here is my question, what could have gone for it to go empty so fast? Im going to look and see if there is any fluid on the lot but its kind of wet so I might not see anything.
1986 Cougar LS

PS fluid GONE!!!

Reply #1
Only you can answer that!
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

PS fluid GONE!!!

Reply #2
That leaves the front pump seal, return line or possibly the rack itself. I had the o-ring give way on my rusty return line this year and the pump seal blow out at the racetrack, so you'll have to see and let us know.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

PS fluid GONE!!!

Reply #3
Even the o-ring on the reservoir where it attaches to the pump itself can be brittle and leak.  I've had that happen before.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

PS fluid GONE!!!

Reply #4
wow, better presure wash the rack/pump off or spray cleaner.

fill'er back up and spy for a leak.

the high pres line at the pump has an oring and plastic washer.

the return line just clamps on (i know you already know this.)

the lines down on the rack have brass washers and a plastic oring iirc.

the rack itself may leak so maybe you ened to pull the boots back temp and spray clean up in there on / around the inner tie rod end.
spy for leaks there also.
You should be able to duplicate the problem by just moving your steering in place.

good luck.

Napa sells very high quality lines imho, but you said you already changed out one.
BTW, I am using trans fluid for power steering right now and it works fine.

PS fluid GONE!!!

Reply #6
The one that drove me nuts was the ARG "high performance" PS pump I bought from Summit. It never stopped leaking at the high-pressure outlet no matter what fitting or o-rings I tried on it. Then at the racetrack, the front seal retainer let go at the starting line, thus blowing the seal out onto the shaft and all of the fluid in the system onto the starting line.

Thanks AGR for making me look like an ass.

Thanks AGR for charging me $130 for a piece or poorly engineered JUNK!!
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

PS fluid GONE!!!

Reply #7
I had a similar problem with my old 'Bird...everything was fine on the drive home (about 5 miles straight, no turns), but as soon as I went to turn into my neighborhood, no P/S at all....didn't see any external leaks until the next morning....right under the left side inner tie rod boot.  The rack was leaking during "spirited" driving....drove it for awhile like that, it was okay if I kept it under 4k rpm...lol.

Good luck,
Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

PS fluid GONE!!!

Reply #8
can you get to the lines to replace the pump without having to pull the motor? would un-doing the motor mounts make it easier?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

PS fluid GONE!!!

Reply #9
Quote from: Haystack;243743
can you get to the lines to replace the pump without having to pull the motor? would un-doing the motor mounts make it easier?

I think you mean getting to the lines on the rack???

if so, when you figure that you, pls share.  I had to drop the rack and even doing that, it has to roll or tilt downward and out just to get at the lines.

he has a new line(s) so i dono on that part.

PS fluid GONE!!!

Reply #10
Well guys I do have a leak but its not as bad as I thought. Im not sure why it started to howl so bad at that exact moment since it doesnt seem to be as fast of a leak as I though. When I looked at it after work I could see some fluid in it (it was really really dirty so it looked like nothing when I looked at first). So I eased my way onto the highway back to school. I pulled into the parts store at 915... They closed at 9. So I went to leave and my battery was dead (the thing is like 7-8 years seriously) So I got my little jump box out that Ive been using... DEAD. So I sat there until they people finally left and one of them gave me a jump. Went back today and got some fluid and filled it up. I drove it about 30 miles today and I am going to let it sit tonight and check the level tomorrow.

When I did my pressure side line I didnt move anything, I just froze my a$$ off in the rain/ ice  that was coming down.

I just find it odd that if it was a slow leak that it would just start screaming like it did.
1986 Cougar LS

PS fluid GONE!!!

Reply #11
If you don't find any obvious leaks but the fluid still goes away, check inside the rack boots. If a seal in the rack goes out it can leak into those boots and it will not be visible at first. Either pull the boot off the rack or cut a small hole in it. If the fluid flows out, replace the rack.

PS fluid GONE!!!

Reply #12
ford pumps whine like hell to begin with... but when they are even low, ive had mine howl really loud when it hit the add mark on the stick.  if it was empty any pump will scream when its empty
86 t-bird 226k miles and blown transmission