Skip to main content
Topic: Well, that was fun... (Read 1909 times) previous topic - next topic

Well, that was fun...

So I get a call at 12:00 or so from my Wife in tears.

The passengers side balljoint on her 95 LX went out at about 40 MPH.  She glided the car over to the side of the road without incident (thank god)  but I have some work to do.  It looks like the ball itself pulled out of the cup.  Luckily, the wheel did not fall over, and only lightly scuffed the inside of the wheel.  It looks like nothing else got buggered up, as the wheel stayed put for the most part. 

The funny thing is that the joint gave NO warning that it was going.  The car just passed a safety inspection done by Ford TWO DAYS AGO.  And I was right  there when they looked at the front suspension, and it all seemed tight.  Oh well. 

100 bucks in tow charges later, its sitting in the driveway on jackstands.

The wife is driving the TC for the time being (she better not hurt my baby....)

And I GOT THE BRONCO RUNNING YESTERDAY!  Talk about timing....

I had no Idea what I was going to do on my day off on Wednesday.. but at least I know now! ;)
88 TC, Lots of Mods.

Well, that was fun...

Reply #1
Did you suspect it , since you say you seen it inspected.
Sounds like lick and stick to me.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Well, that was fun...

Reply #2
god back to the inspection station and tell them they owe you reimbursp00get for the tow, labor and part. Thats serious man, someone could have gotten seriously hurt from that. suspension and brakes are somethings that should not be looked upon lightly
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Well, that was fun...

Reply #3
wow,, im glad and i cant imagine mine having that happen to her.  Mine would have my you know whats on a platter!

glad nothing bad happened and by the way, yes the universe knows what days you have off wayyyyy before you do:hick:

Well, that was fun...

Reply #4
The car just passed a safety inspection done by Ford TWO DAYS AGO. And I was right there when they looked at the front suspension, and it all seemed tight. Oh well.

That's a phone call to the BBB and possibly your attorney at the very least.

by the way, yes the universe knows what days you have off wayyyyy before you do

And how much extra cash you have for "play money" as well.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Well, that was fun...

Reply #5
Good to hear nothing bad happened....other than the car breaking.

Must be something to it. I drove the 88 2000 miles home no prob, and the next morning it wouldn't crank. (dirty terminals) Then I just got my S-197 was just inspected last week, then wouldn't start today. Apparently the original battery has decided to pass away.

I just had the car checked:beatyoass:
5 Mopars, an S-197, and the Turbo Twinkie[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well, that was fun...

Reply #6
Yeah we called the garage, and they are reimbursing us for the tow at least.  They were as shocked as i was..

No suspicions just the normal pre-winter inspections.

I watched him do the suspention tests, hell everything looked fine to me too.  At least the timing was good,  just got my 3rd quarter bonus and the truck just got done.
88 TC, Lots of Mods.

Well, that was fun...

Reply #7
Then I just got my S-197 was just inspected last week, then wouldn't start today. Apparently the original battery has decided to pass away.

Which stereo system do you have?
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Well, that was fun...

Reply #8
I watched him do the suspention tests, hell everything looked fine to me too.
I bet they didn't jack up the lower arms a bit (with the car on the hoist) to take the strain off the struts. Can't tell if there's play in the ball joints otherwise.
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Well, that was fun...

Reply #9
Yep, They did.

Other than it coming apart, the joint actually looks new.  The P/O had the balljoints replaced, I have the receipt somewhere....

Oh well, I'm probably getting the repairs done for free by the shop, and they already paid e for the Tow.  My local dealer is awesome like that.
88 TC, Lots of Mods.

Well, that was fun...

Reply #10
Quote from: V8Demon;243616
Which stereo system do you have?

It has the Shaker 500 in it, and it's an '05. Could just be time. I don't see a date on the battery, but I don't think any of the O.E.'s are meant to last a long time.

Well, that was fun...

Reply #11
EVERYONE I've asked who's had battery issues has had the shaker systems.

Some guys can't let there cars sit 4 or 5 days without starting it because the battery will drain too low to start.  And that's after only a few months of ownership for a couple of them.

I went with the base stereo when I ordered the car way before pretty much anyone even heard of this.  My car is 45 months old original battery and I've let it go up to 6 weeks.....It starts right up without fuss.

2 words:  trickle charger.

Well, that was fun...

Reply #12
Interesting. I haven't let it sit for SIX weeks, but I've let it sit for a month before, and no issues. I think the SPD of mine was 11/04 which makes it exactly 3 years old. Guess I need to try  to start it when I get motivated enough to get up. And if it doesn't start, I'll have a look for a date on the battery.

Well, that was fun...

Reply #13
Well MN-12s are know for ball joint issues. This summer the steering wheel in my 95 started to shimmy when driving. I jacked it up to check the front end and ALL FOUR balljoints were fubar and clanked around. So $400 and some swearing later I had new ball joints. What gets me is the car only has 73,000 miles on it. My 88 has just turned 130,000 and the ball joints are fine. Odd.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Well, that was fun...

Reply #14
I've had a ball joint pull apart in my '86 before.  Not fun.  Thankfully I wasn't going more than 25. 

The part that sucks