Skip to main content
Topic: valve spring (Read 702 times) previous topic - next topic

valve spring

hey guys.  ive got a question for ya.  what is the biggest lift cam i can use with stock valve springs and rocker arms??
86 t-bird 226k miles and blown transmission

valve spring

Reply #1
The stock cam. Really.

If you change the cam get the proper springs for it. If you don't it will not run right and you'll have some fun valve float issues.....
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

valve spring

Reply #2
As big as you want till it hits the pistons.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

valve spring

Reply #3
Depends on a lot of things.

Duration,

Ramp Rate

Cam Timing
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

valve spring

Reply #4
i guess i should have been more thorough.  i was looking at one of the ford alphabet cams.  (stock cam timing btw).  i was thinking like an X cam 542 lift, 224 dur at .050.  what other cams would be good that will help make a hefty amount of power below 7k rpm.  i plan on using a single plane intake,  this will be a strip driven car.  to the strip on the strip and hopefully back home.  i plan on using about a 3-4k stall btw
im going to run it carb'd until i get all my turbo stuff then im going back to efi.  reason im going carb'd is cause im getting a ton of stuff for cheep.  302 roller with 10k miles since rebuild.  i have heard it run and it sounded really good.  long and short tube headers (shorts are bbk equal length), full exhaust from headers back,  600 cfm holley carb, built by an old racing buddy,  an AOD trans (mines toast) a c4 trans that im going to rebuild.  distributor, msd 6al box,  gt40p heads with the cobra 1.72 roller rockers, and a bunch of other stuff.
86 t-bird 226k miles and blown transmission