Skip to main content
Topic: Real uneasy... Update 2/24/09 (Read 2991 times) previous topic - next topic

Real uneasy... Update 2/24/09

Reply #15
Quote from: Chuck W;258443
Uh, wow...

Who has the truck? (your prior post said you took it back from him) Who has the title?

So he owes you what? $150?

Oh sorry about that. I bought the SHO (had to borrow 200 from a friend for a week) and sold the truck the next weekend to a different guy.

Yes 150
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #16
Guess you're out $150.

Cost of a lesson learned.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #17
Quote from: Chuck W;258446
Guess you're out $150.

Cost of a lesson learned.

I think that is where it is going to end up.

Both phones are off now. House and cell. Forgot to mention I saw a U-Haul last time I went by.

I guess he'll get his eventually.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #18
Waitaminit... He wanted $100 to "fix" a ticket? You buddy's dad knows the judge and had him fix it? What is this, Hazzard County, and the judge is Boss J.D. Hogg?

As for the $600 check: I dunno about USA, but in Canada a check (we Canucks spell it "cheque") is good for six months after the date printed on it. If it's the same down there you can still cash it, and if it's bad the guy that wrote it could be charged with passing bad cheques, but chances are it'd go nowhere and you'd only end up getting stuck with a bounced cheque fee.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #19
I would still at least try and cash it, take your 150, (given it clears) give him the rest back. It sucks getting screwed when you are trying to help someone else out - especially in these hard times.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #20
If he still had the truck that would be one thing, but he doesn't so I'd just cut my losses and take this as a life lesson.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #21
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;258458
Waitaminit... He wanted $100 to "fix" a ticket? You buddy's dad knows the judge and had him fix it? What is this, Hazzard County, and the judge is Boss J.D. Hogg?

As for the $600 check: I dunno about USA, but in Canada a check (we Canucks spell it "cheque") is good for six months after the date printed on it. If it's the same down there you can still cash it, and if it's bad the guy that wrote it could be charged with passing bad cheques, but chances are it'd go nowhere and you'd only end up getting stuck with a bounced cheque fee.

LOL I wish it was Hazzard County(not really). It was the fine. The judge knocked it down to a non moving violation. I was EXTREMELY LUCKY!

When you look at that point of it there is still a positive side to all this.

What really bothers me is the fact that Im almost positive it will happen again. Worst part about this guy is his name... Kevin Smith. How common is that? There is only so much I can do now. I can deal with cutting my losses if I have to but knowing that this will happen again bothers me the most.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #22
What really bothers me is the fact that Im almost positive it will happen again.

Thats why you should try and cash the check - the guy obviously has no intention of giving you your money back and probably never did. He hustled you. What makes it even worse is that you borrowed money from your grandma to give to him. Its at least worth a try man. Do it for Grandma.:hick:
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #23
Youve done nothing but good here on the board and good for your family as well.  My advise,, DO NOT CHASH THAT CHECK.

it is a time bomb waiting to happen if you do.  Go through the senerio in your head and ask yourself what happens when it bounces (with reguard to your banks policy).

It looks like you have worked hard to try and strike a deal, worked the best you could and took a couple of chances.  Most of the time deals like this come out on the good end.  Its when your gut says different that you typically "screw yourself".

Listen to your gut, you got a good way of seeing things ahead of you anyway.

Reply #24
Quote from: jcassity;258477
Youve done nothing but good here on the board and good for your family as well.  My advise,, DO NOT CHASH THAT CHECK.

it is a time bomb waiting to happen if you do.  Go through the senerio in your head and ask yourself what happens when it bounces (with reguard to your banks policy).

It looks like you have worked hard to try and strike a deal, worked the best you could and took a couple of chances.  Most of the time deals like this come out on the good end.  Its when your gut says different that you typically "screw yourself".

:iagree:
Like I said, if you cash that cheque you'll likely only end up getting nailed with a bounced cheque fee. It should be illegal for banks to charge the recipient of a cheque a fee just because the person that wrote it is a douche, but it isn't illegal, and banks do it. And the fees are generally quite high, anywhere from $25-$60. Plus I'm pretty sure it would ding your credit rating.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #25
Like I said, if you cash that cheque you'll likely only end up getting nailed with a bounced cheque fee. It should be illegal for banks to charge the recipient of a cheque a fee just because the person that wrote it is a douche, but it isn't illegal, and banks do it. And the fees are generally quite high, anywhere from $25-$60. Plus I'm pretty sure it would ding your credit rating.

Wow i had no idea the banks would chaarge you if someone wrote you a bad check i thought it was only the person who wrote it. That sucks, seems like it would be some kind of racket and should in fact be illegal. dont listen to me man i wouldnt cash it.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #26
Quote from: jcassity;258477

Quote from: Thunder Chicken;258482
:iagree:

Thank you both. I am not planning on trying to deposit the check. From my understanding it is too old anyways. I am in good standings with my bank and plan to keep it that way. I didnt listen to my gut on this. I cant remember anything good that has happened when I didnt. Heart is bigger than my head, dumber too.

Quote from: 20thanniver-ls;258486
Wow i had no idea the banks would chaarge you if someone wrote you a bad check i thought it was only the person who wrote it. That sucks, seems like it would be some kind of racket and should in fact be illegal. dont listen to me man i wouldnt cash it.

They get the charge and pass it to me. Same thing we do at work. People write a bad check we get charged so we charge them. In the end it is probably more expensive to get that $25 then paying it. Long run though it is worth it for them.

I am going to talk to my advisor Thursday morning, he is going to refer me to a lawyer around campus more than likely. I just want to see what my options are, more for prevention of this occurring again than anything. I doubt I will have anything but if I could pass this along to helps other it would be worth it.

Although his name is common, I have his DL # and now previous address. He can be found.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #27
the check is an easy thing to find out what the right thing to do is... your "in good standing with your bank" you say.. well ask them!
I would simply take the check into my Credit Union manager... tell him I have this but after the fact I found out the guy is not too trust worthy, what can I do with it that won't jeopardize my standing with you or the bank?
Most likely he could make a simple phone call and verify funds... if no funds he could tell you how to proceed. That's his job, that's what he's trained for.
:birdsmily:   Objects In Mirror Appear to be Loosing  :birdsmily:

Reply #28
Quote from: Jim_Miller;258496
the check is an easy thing to find out what the right thing to do is... your "in good standing with your bank" you say.. well ask them!
I would simply take the check into my Credit Union manager... tell him I have this but after the fact I found out the guy is not too trust worthy, what can I do with it that won't jeopardize my standing with you or the bank?
Most likely he could make a simple phone call and verify funds... if no funds he could tell you how to proceed. That's his job, that's what he's trained for.

Jim you are brilliant!
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #29
I have been searching though court records on line to figure out as much as I can about this guy. Since his name is so common it takes forever.

When I wrote down his license number, the address was on Virgina St in the city. I remember because I questioned it and my Aunt live in the state of Virgina.

Found some cases that would fall into the time before he lived in his house by me, which a Virgina st address.

Google map it and look at this. Sign from God.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&q=3425+VIRGINIA+ST+LOUIS,+MO+63118&ie=UTF8&split=0&gl=us&ei=p-ykSbH6Foi5nQek4vCkBQ&ll=38.594081,-90.23822&spn=0.000477,0.001194&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=38.594096,-90.238182&panoid=O8ZFswa5v6mGINSrydZpfg&cbp=12,309.10331722412394,,1,-2.749558006758092

Guess who that fat guy is?
1986 Cougar LS