Skip to main content
Topic: Real uneasy... Update 2/24/09 (Read 2989 times) previous topic - next topic

Real uneasy... Update 2/24/09

[COLOR="Red"]****UPDATE ON PAGE 2****[/COLOR]

So I had a guy come drive the truck last night and he killed it TWICE!. I told him you have to ride the clutch out more than he was with the carb issues it has. Well he didnt listen. So after the second time it wouldnt re start (only had this problem 3 times including this one). So he really wants the truck for a guy that works for him and we where taking it to his mechanic but never made it there. So this is where things get a little uneasy for me. He said he would write me a check for 600 and leave that with me if we took the truck to his house so his mechanic could look at it since neither of us were going to be able to take it anywhere today. So He pushes me to his house (That was a fun ride... NOT!) writes me a check, I check his license (with was a paper version), The picture was him, address was different, name was him. So I write his license # on the check like I do at work, and shake his hand and leave. So me and my gf head to QT and the more I think about it the worse I feel about it. So we decided to go back and take a picture of his license plate on his car, which had 03 tags...  Well i decide I cant trust it after all of the thigs that dont match up just right. So I go to the police station and ask on of the guys leaving because I knew if I went inside I would get no where with dispatch since it is private information (understandable). I explained everything and why I didnt feel so good about it. One of them took the check and said he would check to see if the guy actually lived there and was who he said he was. They printed off his picture and it was him, lived in the house for a few years so everything was ok on that. He told me dont take a check from him though he has a history of bad checks. Good to know. So I figure if my truck does end up gone/stolen then the police are aware he had the truck in his possesion at the time.

So the list of bad vs good is way longer on the bad side but I do feel better after the visit to the station.

How bad do you guys think it will be if the truck is "gone" to prove prove he is at fault or guilty? I dont feel good about it. I dont think I should have done it. I did drive by on my way to work and it was still there.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #1
Go give the check back and take the truck.Easy.Tell him you're uncomfortable with the deal and to come back when he's ready to buy.Don't take chances.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
Thing is now im at work and I cant go get it. If I would have known it would be six before his guy could look at it I would have taken it to him after work. Then I wouldnt have to worry. I think this could be the stupidest chance I have ever taken... IT!
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #3
Perhaps it may be worth taking off work for a couple of hours.That may end up cheaper than what "could" happen.I hope it all works out for you.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #4
Quote from: vinnietbird;240350
Perhaps it may be worth taking off work for a couple of hours.That may end up cheaper than what "could" happen.I hope it all works out for you.

I might go on my lunch break... Not sure. Might have someone grive by and check. Do you guys think Ill have enough on the guy if things go wrong? I hope it doesnt come to that but you cant trust anyone now days.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #5
i'd just cash the check. If it doesn't clear, then the trade is void and you can go get it back.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #6
Quote from: Haystack;240362
i'd just cash the check. If it doesn't clear, then the trade is void and you can go get it back.

But he is not positive he wants it until his guy looks it over, so if I cash it and it clears then I just screwed with his account and we agreed I wasnt going to cash it until he made a decision and even then I am doing cash and this has been established.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #7
you have the right to verify funds in his account by calling his bank.  you need to verify funds again the day you cash it or you may also be lible for cashing a bad check as well as he writting one.

Reply #8
Update..............

Reply #9
Sorry to say it DVP but I'm of the opinion you made the deal so your stuck with it. Your right it's probably not the best deal you have or will ever make but you did agree. I think you need to follow it through and be a man of your word (even though there is a lot of fear attached)
Would'a
Could'a
Should'a
Whatever.. bottom line is you dident.
In the mean time try not to worry on it, that will just bring you additional stress... as of your last update your all worried about what he COULD do, what he MIGHT do, what will happen IF... fact is, none of the above has happened YET... calm down and stand by your word, there are times in our lives when that me be all we have.
:birdsmily:   Objects In Mirror Appear to be Loosing  :birdsmily:

Reply #10
I have stopped worrying so much about it. I talked to the officer that works at the high school I went to and he said IF things where to go bad I have enough on him. I will NOT be taking a check from him PERIOD. I am glad I did go to the station though I feel alot better. He had his guy look at it last night and said he fixed the carb (for $25, which will not be coming out of the price nor my pocket as I did not approve any work to be done) which needed done and I told him about. He is taking it to the shop down the street from his house to get the crankshaft pulley looked at. I told him it was the key but didnt listen to me. So he is going to give me an answer tomorrow night. So far I can trust him on everything but the check. So no worries as of now.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #11
He is suppose to be comimg to pick up the title from me in a little bit. Tried to do a check but that is not going to happen. Ive  taken enough chances with this deal. Cah or im walking. He is only giving me 450 for the truck which is a huge loss but no matter what I do Im going to lose on the thing.

SO we will see what kind of guy he really is within the next few hours. I have the title and BOS sitting right next to me, signed and reeady to go. I hope it works out for me. I will be taking a counterfeit pen out with me. Things just seem shadier as time goes on.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #12
No money... No SHO... Not happy. Guy BS'd me all week about getting me the money. Point is he didnt so I took the truck back last night after he BS'd me all the way til 1-2 AM. I got another tomorrow answer from him today. If it isnt tomorrow I dont care anymore Ill seel it to someone else. Time is money and Im losing time on fixing the SHO because I cant go get it. Well live and learn.  We'll see what happens tomorrow...
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #13
Update on this. I posted this on 10-25-08, Which means that I dropped off the truck on 10-24. That makes it  4 months to the day.
[COLOR="Red"]
Ill start with this I AM A DUMB ASS!
[/COLOR]

Long story short, my heart is bigger than my brain at some times.

A day or so after I dropped off the truck I got a call from this guy asking me to cash a check from him because his buddy got locked up. I tell him I have the cash as he was supposed to pay me for the truck the next day or day after anyways and I would collect it all then. I wrote up a "contract" that I was loaning him the money (HORRIBLE IDEA TO THINK ABOUT) but he was in such a rush I didnt have him sign it (FAIL).

Fast forward to when I got my tickets. His brother is a "St. Louis County Cop", from what I was told. I called him because I needed the money to pay for a lawyer and stuff and forgot he told me about his brother. He said he would call me back and see what could be done. Calls back and tells me he needs the ticket and will get it dealt with.

Next day he calls and says it is going to be $100. I told him cool thanks. He then ask for the money. WTF! I told him to use the $100 h owed me. Fine. Calls back, I cant get anymore than $50, ATM isnt letting me withdraw (I will hear that a lot more). I tell him I dont have it (I did, but I knew he did too). Got off the phone and finally decided that I should take the chance and give him the $50. If it was all taken care of it would be worth it. Told him I HAD to have it back ASAP because I borrowed it from my G-Ma. Didnt happen.

Decided that since things didnt go the way he explained when he told me how everything was going to happen I should check on them. Called the resource officer at my High school (great guy) and explained everything to him. He told me to go down and ask them the status of my tickets. They had not been touched. Call the guy and explain. He told me he was going to call and see what happened. I called my buddies Dad and he knows the judge and he got them dealt with, still had a fine of course and told me this is a one time deal so straighten up. That I did. Told the guy when he called back I needed my $150 back, I got things fixed ($100 loaned, $50 to fix ticket).

Multiple phone calls, stops to his house, his cell phone being cut off, and 4 months I still have no money and he is still lying.

I have a check from him for $600. I know I can not cash that, it is dated the 24th of Oct. I wouldnt anyways since the officer that night told me he had a history of bad checks.

Here is the question, is a check a form of a contract? Could I use this against him? It is beyond the money now. I am sure he does this a lot. If it is possible for me to sue him using the check then I would if I could break even just to put him to a stop.

Figured some of you guys which have some legal insight on this. V8Demon, Birdman, anyone really.

Closing note,

[COLOR="Red"]I AM A DUMB ASS[/COLOR]

Live and learn, young and stupid, I fit almost all the cliches right now.

You can bash me all you want, I really need opinions on what is best.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #14
Uh, wow...

Who has the truck? (your prior post said you took it back from him) Who has the title?

So he owes you what? $150?
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon