Skip to main content
Topic: Dash Vibration (Read 1682 times) previous topic - next topic

Dash Vibration

I know, I know, this can be almost impossible to find, and describe in a thread.  But my thinking is that maybe, just maybe somebody has had the a similar issue.

Ok, ever since I had a 351 put in my car, I have something in my dash vibrating under higher RPMs.  It only happens right before it shifts to second at around 34 mph.... and then as it shifts to third.

It is a loud buzzing vibration coming from I think somewhere behind the digital dash, up top, and toward the middle of the dash.  It sounds like plastic vibrating together... (I realize this is vague)

I have had all of my molding off and drove around.  I did not take the digital dash out, becasue there is this white tube attached to the bottom of it that I'm not real sure what it is for.

Anyway, any suggestions would be GREAT.
===85BIRD===
:birdsmily:

Dash Vibration

Reply #1
you pulled out the speaker grills yet? there is also a plastic cover that goes under the sterring colum and the fuse box as well.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Dash Vibration

Reply #2
Quote from: Haystack;239071
you pulled out the speaker grills yet? there is also a plastic cover that goes under the sterring colum and the fuse box as well.

Yep, pulled the speaker grills, but did not pull speakers.  But the sound seems to be coming from toward the top of the dash, to the left of that square piece in the center that is removable.  However when I take that out, the clock out, and feel back in between the vents, etc., the vibration seems to be somewhere to the left of that, sort of behind the digital spedo.

I am not sure how to get that spedo out of there...becasue of not knowing what that small tube.  That should probably be my next project.

It's not a small noise either.... very distinct....

It is definately inside of the dash, and cannot be stopped by pushing on the top of the dash or by sticking my fingers in the vents...

arrrggghhhh
===85BIRD===

Dash Vibration

Reply #3
my dash is almost completely out, and its an 88, ill take a look and see if anything behind the cluster can vibrate... i also dont know how different they are from 85 to 88...
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Dash Vibration

Reply #4
Could the engine/trans be making contact?
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dash Vibration

Reply #5
Quote from: t3skidoo;239125
Could the engine/trans be making contact?

I'll take a look, thanks for the suggestion.
===85BIRD===

Dash Vibration

Reply #6
the white tube is a cable that moves your shift indicator from p to r, n, 1, 2 ect.

You disconnect it up in your cluster, its just a loop on the cluster end that you pop off.

Dash Vibration

Reply #7
I'd check out your suspension. We had something similar happen in a work truck allthe time, to the extent everyone thought it was normal. A couple of months later it wouldn't stop making the noise, and it ended up being a bad wheel berring.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Dash Vibration

Reply #8
Quote from: jcassity;239222
the white tube is a cable that moves your shift indicator from p to r, n, 1, 2 ect.

You disconnect it up in your cluster, its just a loop on the cluster end that you pop off.

Thanks.  I appreciate that.  Now I will not be afraid to take it out.
===85BIRD===

Dash Vibration

Reply #9
Quote from: Haystack;239241
I'd check out your suspension. We had something similar happen in a work truck allthe time, to the extent everyone thought it was normal. A couple of months later it wouldn't stop making the noise, and it ended up being a bad wheel berring.

The suspension is all new.  Everything in the front and rear is new.  Springs, etc. 

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll keep looking.

I think once I get the cluster out I can get my hand back in there and figure it out.

Keep the suggestions, coming, however.  I really appreciate them!
===85BIRD===

Dash Vibration

Reply #10
Sounds kinda dumb, but the check the trim around the windshield.  I had a similar problem recently and it turned out I was missing a screw near the top where the door closes.  It took MONTHS for me to figure out wtf was going on.
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

Dash Vibration

Reply #11
Quote from: amooset;239335
Sounds kinda dumb, but the check the trim around the windshield.  I had a similar problem recently and it turned out I was missing a screw near the top where the door closes.  It took MONTHS for me to figure out wtf was going on.

I'll give it a look, thanks.
===85BIRD===