Skip to main content
Topic: Body kits and wood screws do not mix (Read 1617 times) previous topic - next topic

Body kits and wood screws do not mix

Reply #1
yeah that was posted on my local Mustang Forum....  that would suck, lol...

Reply #3
why did he think a good job would really be $250 to start with?
Paint alone would cost more than that. You really do get what you pay for. and he paid for every bit of it when he took the car home. He should have took a lawyer to see it at the shop.

and why didn't I think of using drywall screws to put my car together? I've got thousands of them. LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #4
he paid $750. not $250. it was in BIG bold letters, too.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #5
Doesnt matter 750 or 250, he got what he paid for. As Daminc said supplies would cost that. If it sounds to good to be true.... it is.

Reply #6
i find it hard to believe $750 isnt enough to have a "lip" kit prepped, installed, and painted.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

Reply #7
Quote from: 32VFoxBird;238904
i find it hard to believe $750 isnt enough to have a "lip" kit prepped, installed, and painted.

pait and double sided tape. plus labor. yeah $750 should have covered that.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #8
The kid seems amazingly calm about the situation...I got a sense that he knew they were kind of taking the cheap way out from the start. Maybe that knowledge is why.

As a veteran of the Xenon kit for our cars (about 20 years experience with them) I can attest to the rather poor fit and finish of urethane ground effects kits. They are difficult to install and even more difficult to make them look good (lined up, no gaps, etc.). They are also time-consuming to prep correctly for paint. True, they are essentially an extension of your bumper covers and act as such, as far as durability goes. Thank God for that...by now I'd have obliterated plastic or fiberglass kits. But in the overall scheme of things I'd rather have fiberglass or plastic for smoother looks.

That being said, you get what you pay for. Not condoning the shop's actions but I can see where the kit didn't fit well, and the guy probably got frustrated and just said, "Aw hell with it, we'll just run a screw through." You guys should have seen my first '84 with the ground effects kit, right after I let some kid put the kit on. At the very least, he did use pop rivets, and then he painted over them so they would sort of blend in. But that's what was needed to get that particular urethane kit hanging and fitting tightly. I didn't like it but it did the job. In this case, exposed aluminum pop rivets inside the door jambs of the Z would have probably lent a machined look that complimented the car's more modern feel. That is, after a die grinder was taken to the urethane to hollow out the ill-fitting areas.

The convertible has the front and rear pieces from the Xenon kit. Back actually fit very nicely. It's being held on with silicone and double-sided 3M tape. Now the front...it looks good enough. I had to slot the fender holes and slide them about 1/2" forward to work on the alignment gaps. That helped a little with lining up the air dam. It's also 3M taped and siliconed. There is, however, a pr0nounced sag right in the middle. I chose not to use pop rivets or screws there. All I can say is, for the first time in my life, I'm sure glad that Ohio requires a front license plate. ;)

I feel bad for the dude, but he's moving on after realizing the comedy of errors that this endeavor acspoogeulated. Actually I applaud him for not getting irate. Live and learn...

Reply #9
This is an example of why body kits do not belong on cars ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #10
Obviously the person he brought it to doesnt care about his workmanship.. i dont care if it was just to help the guy out... he should still have done a better job.....
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Reply #11
Sorry, I thought I read the original job quote was $250, and bumped to $750 after he started working on it.

It was early, only had 1 cup of coffee and 1 eye open when I was reading. LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #12
it was in large bold red letters! LOL!
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

Reply #13
Been a rough week.
I'll have to re-read that..
I now wonder if i was dreaming of the drywall screws in the door jamb. LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #14
He Got Screwed... :rollin:

But seriously,
I don't care how much money they got paid for that job.

You could do far better with just rattle cans, shears/hack saws, double sided tape and adhesive stuffs.

That's just plain disrespectful and terrible work. :mad:
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~