Skip to main content
Topic: thicker oil? (Read 904 times) previous topic - next topic

thicker oil?

i heard one way to get rid of knocking is to add thicker oil. a shop added thicker oil to the GTP and the knock went away. but is it safe for a motor with 170,000 miles on it?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

thicker oil?

Reply #1
experiment with 15w30 on up.,, cause we all know how cheap oil is eh?

anyway, this is something your gonna have to figure out on your own. 

My mother in laws Kia Sofia is overhead cam but has no bearings in the head like many of those throw away motors.

Upon start, her top end was taping but this had been going on for several months.  The tap would go away when load was added,,,,kinda.

So,,, With the engine running , i wanted to experiment and find out what the engine was trying to tell me.  As the engine was at idle, I slowly added gear oil to the oil fill,,
tap went away.  I shut off car and went to napa for an oil.

Factory spec was 5w30.
I now run 15w30 or 15w40.,,, something like that.

you need to stick a broom handle to the block and listen to the other end. Its easier to hear the bottom end from the bottom while listening to the oil pan.  If it is down low, see if it is all the way across the crank or if the noise is in one area.

What does this do for you,, not much but it does narrow down the possibility of a wrist pin or perhaps a forward, middle or rear main.

Knocks are usually main or rod related.

My generic answer to you is Yes, swap to a heavier oil keeping in mind winter is coming as well and oil gets thicker in the winter.
It puts off a cheap fix that can be done now though. Right now you could probably get away with an inexpesive re-ring kit which comes with bearings/gaskets.  It would also indicate your crank would need minor cost in grinding and the block may just require a minor hone job.

Keep on and your buying a more expensive package.

Sell the motor now with the buyer knowing its running heavier oil for a minor leak and you might unload it for 100 dollars.

thicker oil?

Reply #2
Here is some food for thought. What weight does it call for and how much thicker you wanting to go? Then why did the factory tell me to run this weight? If you change up the weight of your oil there are many things that can be affected. Not saying they are all bad or that if you do it you are gonna blow the motor but, Where all those parts designed to take the little extra that you are asking it to do. To heavy weight oil can cause poor gas mileage and at $3-$4/gallon you wanna make it use more? Do you just have money to BURN! Then all those little parts and pieces that are already at the limit. for instance a T/C 2.3t the Dizzy is what spins the oil up. Well the dizzy is ran through a gear that is pressed on the shaft and held in place with a roll pin. There have been many many post over at turbo ford about snapping the roll pin and now MUNCH CRUNCH there goes the Dizzy gear and the Aux shaft gear just from using a high volume oil pump and think if parts like that can break from the little extra needed to run the oil pump don't you think that adding extra thick oil might increase the chance even with a standard oil pump. There all reasons that they tell you to run what they ask for NOt saying that you have to run what they say but should stick close to it. Think they sell all sorts of OIL THICKENER think how much of a lead weight that has to be when it gets real nice and COLD! Like pushing frozen molasses! Or more like a CHEVY ( LIKE A ROCK)
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

thicker oil?

Reply #3
PS you kinda have to take what they say as a RULE OF THUMB! and how wide do you want your thumb to be when you are swinging a HAMMER! That could cost you how much to fix might as well save the cash for the real fix. Then you don't have that "I wonder if I'm gonna make it there this time!" Thought running through your head each time you go some where in the car.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

thicker oil?

Reply #4
i heard one way to get rid of knocking is to add thicker oil

Another way is to do a proper rebuild FWIW.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

thicker oil?

Reply #5
ok, i appreciate your guys input. after reading what you guys had to say. i figure im going to stay with 10-40 oil. it gets cold up where i live and i drive my car to college at 7:30am, so the average temp is 30 degrees in the winter in the morning. plus my motor is slowly going down hill anyways. so im trying to make it last.....
so thank you for help. its greatly appreciated!!
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.