Skip to main content
Topic: Should I keep 20th anniversary Cougar around? (Read 1506 times) previous topic - next topic

Should I keep 20th anniversary Cougar around?

I have this car, but I am having a baby and am planning on buying a much newer car with 4 doors. It is not in the most spectacular shape, but I know that there were not that many made as compared to other models. So, my question is, are there any genuine Cougar enthusiasts who might get a little more satisfaction out of buying this car than some random kid I could sell it to? My grandpa collected cars, so I don't want it to go to waste if so...

Reply #1
Congratulations by the way, my local dodge dealership just wrapped up their push pull and drag sale guaranteeing 2008 dollars on anything you trade in.  Might be a good way to get into something like a caravan or something family friendly like that.  If that doesn't feel right then maybe put it up on Craigslist and list it as a 20th anniversary cougar.  People who know what that is and want one will find you.

Reply #2
i think you should hold on to it,, as the family grows, a car to carry all of you is handy, but having something like that is worth keeping around if you like it.

There is a lot of help here to get any bugs you have in it worked out.

questions.....

has it always been in FL?
Got any pics?
what sale price is it?

Reply #3
I guess the question is...
How many cars do you have, and how many do you need?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #4
First of all welcome Taylor I would keep it because if u look at the cost of buying a new one versies keeping your Cougar u will save more in the next three years by buying a new car but once the loan is paid for which u probley know is 3 to 5 years. In that time from the 3 to 5 year and beyond period if u can keep your kid from tearning apart the seats and interior or spilling anything in the car. U will save over $1000 a year just by keeping it for the next 3 to 5 years. U want notice the saving untill around the 3 year but u will. Car loans are rising and the intrest is rising every day and on a 300 car loan for 3 year loan like I said u will save 1000 a year.

Reply #5
Here is what I mean Taylor I am a loan Officer and I know these things. If I am not mistaken unless u have perfect credit the averiage loan for a average purchese price for a car is around 25 to 30K, and the loan for for an average 5 years now minium.  The average intrest Rate is 3 to 5%, to get a 0.9% percent the car manufactors avertise u have to have a credit Scor of at least in the high 600's or higher.

So for a 25K loan at 3% with the average credit score which is in the mid to low 600's u will spend with the minium down payment u will pay minium 400 a month if luckly but it will be closer to 500 a month. and u will pay  around $1000 a year for interest a year.

Keeping the car.
 Around $1000 in repairs a year. - Theres you interest rate
 Gas u will probley spend $50 to $80 a weeek  on the cougar depending on were and how u drive. - So there is like half of your loan if u bought a new car.
Insurance- Much cheaper even w/Full Coverage, which I won't get if u total it well just buy a new one.

SO basicly what I am saying is what your probley spend on the car in what u need to have it run and legalise would cover the loan and insurance. SO If u bought a new car u would have double the expense versies keeping the Cougar.

And the most important the Foxbody Cougars and bird are becoming more valuebile. So u might be able to sell it for more than what u would get now if u keep in the shape is in now or improve the shape.

Reply #6
Who saw that one coming
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #7
[derail]
You're a loan officer? You type like that and you're a loan officer??? I should think a loan officer should at least be able to spell the word "interest"

In the words of Charlie Brown... Good Grief! Seriously, dude, get and install Firefox and use the frickin' spell checker. It won't straighten out your horrid grammar, but at it might at least make your posts tolerable.
[/derail]
Back on topic:

Taylor: Asking a bunch of guys that would part with a vital organ before giving up a 20th Cougar probably isn't the best way to get a "taylor"-made answer. Only you can decide if you want (or are even able) to keep the car.

If you can only have one car I'd recommend moving on. Fox Cougars are reliable and quite safe, but they are also becoming quite hard to find parts for. You wouldn't want to be left without wheels because of a silly problem that is easy to fix but no parts are readily available (for example, a rear wheel bearing damaging an axle shaft). Also, regardless of the Cougar's reliability, it's a 21 year old car. That means 21 year old suspension components, 21 year old brakes (some of the parts themselves may be newer, but the design is 21 years old, and many parts such as master cylinder and brake lines are likely original), 21 year old drivetrain, etc.

If you can keep a second car around, even if it means keeping it at a relative's place, I'd recommend keeping it. These cars are becoming scarcer, and 20th's are rarer still. If you really like the car and sell it you may end up regretting it, because down the road you might decide you want another one only to not be able to find one, or you'll pay through the nose if you can find one. I made this same mistake when I sold my '87 Sport - it took me nearly 5 years to find a replacement. I also made this mistake with my first (78 Trans Am) and second ('80 Formula) cars. I sold 'em both for under a grand (each) in the early 90's. Now you can't find a decent one for under eight grand.

Of course, this only applies if you're "into" these cars. If you've got no particular affection or sentimental feelings for the car (which is the case with most T-Bird/Cougar owners, hence our messageboard's large membership but few active members) and can't see yourself looking back wistfully on the Coug once it's gone, get rid of it and get yourself something you like or can get better use out of.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #8
What Thunder Chicken said.... +1.

When I picked up my wife-to-be for our first date in 1978, I was driving my 1969 Torino. When we got married in 1983, it was in my 1969 Torino. When we had our kids in 1986 and 1987, what was still in the garage? My 1969 Torino. When I walked out into my shop after our 25th Wedding Anniversary this spring, what was still sitting there? Yep, my 1969 Torino. Words can not describe how bummed I would be if I would have ever sold that car. So, if there is any way you can possibly hang on to a second car, please, KEEP THE COUGAR!!!!!!
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

Reply #9
Keep the Cougar and buy a nice Crown Vic P71 4 door for the kid should be able to find one nice on Auction.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Reply #10
I would just like to say, When I grew up, the family cars were my 83 TurboCoupe, and we had a 88 Cougar as family cars. there was me my mom dad and sister, and thats all we ever knew. It was not until 2000 when we finally got our first four door car and its just because we got a good deal. There is no need to get a 4 door all because your have a baby :D  THis is clearly an opinion, but I dont see 4 doors necassary!!

Frank M.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/665379

1983 TurboCoupe-T3 .60/.63, 3" exhaust, Motorsport front mount, PJ, large VAM, green tops, 8.8" w/ 3.55's, 13.72@97mph
1985.5 SVO
1984 Fullsize Bronco- 300, NP435

Reply #11
Well I don't like to use spell check if I don't have to, but I do use it when needed.

Reply #12
Quote from: turbo83coupe;236863
  There is no need to get a 4 door all because your have a baby :D  THis is clearly an opinion, but I dont see 4 doors necassary!!

Frank M.

Exactly what I was thinking.:D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #13
I think you should look at your options.  I still have my 88 TC.  I was considering selling it when the new one came along ( Hell he's a year old tomorrow!)  but decided the car had too much history with me.  I decided to keep it.  Everything worked out just fine in the end, even though it was tough for a time.  I still have it, and will never let it go.
88 TC, Lots of Mods.