Skip to main content
Topic: 3.8L engine problems (Read 539 times) previous topic - next topic

3.8L engine problems

ok here goes im a proud owner of my second "88 bird and im having a slight problem getting it to start. it died out on me a few weeks ago so me being  mechninc in the army i pulled  out the book and started trouble shooting got spark wasnt getting fuel replaced fuel pump,filter, injecters,what not still nothing. so then i figured ok junk yard, pulled an eec out of a cougar of same year and motor size and started right up idled rough then  died. since then nothing still got spark and fuel and compression now i have no clue what to do and need the car. did i get the wrong computer and does anyone have a picture or six of the plug wire locations on the block and distributer. thank you.

3.8L engine problems

Reply #1
put the oem EEC back in.

I am not sure what you mean by a "picture" of the plug wires.  You must mean firing order and that is stamped on pretty  much all intakes as well as rotation.

refer to electrical tech and pay attention to the sticky called 1987EVTM,, it is pretty much the same for your 88.  You have 6 injectors but stil fires three at a time just like CFI.

Pull your codes with the old eec installed per my DIY link below.

Also, read up on the other threads on fuel delivery issues.

What book did you pull out?

Your shot gunning the problem by placing blame on the EEC and thats not troubleshooting in the least.

first things first,

install the old eec
pull codes key on engine off of course:D
look up codes,,, get completely confussed;)
I have found it very useful to replace the meter illustrated in the code pulling process with a 50cent radio shack 12v buzzer.  An audible noise allows you to keep your eyes and brain focused on writting numbers instead of looking back and forth at a light bulb or meter then to paper and wondering if you counted correctly.  Keep in mind there will be plenty of codes that will have no relevance to your issue just because you removed the EEC from the system,, god only knows why you decided the EEC was the problem.

then go to the basics...................

1- when you turn on the key, do you hear the fuel pump run and shut off after about 2 sec?

turn off key......do you hear a click in the trunk?

2- measure your fuel presure up on the shrader valve on the fuel rail on the engine, needs to be 35psi +.

3- remove any random easy to get to plug wire from its respective spark plug.  stuff in an old spark plug and lay it up on the strut tower with the threads touching metal.  crank engine, do you see spark? (easy to do at night so you can see the spark easier,, also the spark ***MUST BE bluish white in color, orange is usually a problem).

4-Pull codes per my diy link below.  Be prepared for non sense codes such as those related to the fact your EEC lost power ect... since you did force it to loose power by removing it.  It will take 40 warm up cycles for the codes to go away naturally.

5- quote my thread with your answers below each question in bold or a different color.

6- go to electrical tech and become familiar with and download a copy of the 87evtm i put up for your reference.

7- did you jumer wire a relay in the trunk in any manner?  if so, in what way?