Skip to main content
Topic: Got a few new toys for the Mark (Read 3762 times) previous topic - next topic

Got a few new toys for the Mark

A new china Cobra intake, Professional Products 65mm throttle body, and the stock MAF intake hoses I've been trying to find for almost a year now. :hick:

359.95 for the intake, 126.95 for the throttle body, and only 14.95 to ship from 50resto. It was just too tempting so I went ahead and got em.

It really has made a noticeable difference in power that I can feel. These intakes are good for 10-15 rwhp even with E7s while keeping the torque that you get with long runners. The cobra intake runners are just huge compared to a HO intake. And the best part is that when I do heads and cam I'll already have the intake.

The intake tubes came from Delk Performance in Lebanon, TN. They said they have a bunch so give em a call if you need one and they'll ship it.

Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #1
Sweet.Not only are those parts better than stock,they add a little eye candy as well.Two thumbs up for you.....and the Mark.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
Thanks Vinnie. I also forgot that I put new Gabriel Ultra struts and shocks on. That made a huge difference since the ones on there were the originals and had almost 140,000 miles. :eek:
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

Reply #3
I am surprised you didn't get an aftermarket CAI setup for the car with the filter inside the fender.Still,it looks great.How are the shocks and struts doing?I would like to replace my air shocks and struts as well.The air shocks are kept low,but I use them if I have to haul the groceries (2 baskets worth) so the car won't sink in the rear.My front strut bushing need replaced as well.I'll eventually get to that.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #4
Looks good and the car should run a little or a lot better.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Reply #5
Looks good:D

Did ya have fun getting the distributor in? The *Chinese* GT40 lowers don't have the notch in the water outlet that the factory ones do, which makes it fun to get the distributor in right.

Oh and if you want a cheap MAF upgrade get the sensor(part# starts with F2VF) and housing from a 93-94 Crown Vic, Town Car, or Grand Marq. The are 70mm and plug and play with the stock A9# series MAF computers. I'm running one now in place of the stock 55mm MAF with my A9P and it improved throttle response a bit. Plus it's a cheap upgrade :hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #6
Quote from: vinnietbird;235806
I am surprised you didn't get an aftermarket CAI setup for the car with the filter inside the fender.Still,it looks great.How are the shocks and struts doing?I would like to replace my air shocks and struts as well.The air shocks are kept low,but I use them if I have to haul the groceries (2 baskets worth) so the car won't sink in the rear.My front strut bushing need replaced as well.I'll eventually get to that.

On anything but a highly modified motor the best intake setup imo is to run a K&N filter and remove the air silencer since the stock airbox gets cold air from the fender and has the capacity to flow plenty of cfm to the motor. The main restriction in the intake is the stock filter and the milk jug. Anything else just isn't needed until you're at H/C/I or a stroker. I have been thinking about a larger MAF since it's only 55mm. Money----->:flame:

As far as the struts. Everything I've read says that Gabriels are the best for the money and that none of the Monroes last any time before they're mushy. Mark VIIs use the same front struts as a Mustang SVO so not just any Mustang strut bolts right on. But for 135.00 front and rear the Gabriels give the best ride and life.
Matt

Reply #7
Quote from: thunderjet302;235861

Did ya have fun getting the distributor in? The *Chinese* GT40 lowers don't have the notch in the water outlet that the factory ones do, which makes it fun to get the distributor in right.

Oh and if you want a cheap MAF upgrade get the sensor(part# starts with F2VF) and housing from a 93-94 Crown Vic, Town Car, or Grand Marq. The are 70mm and plug and play with the stock A9# series MAF computers. I'm running one now in place of the stock 55mm MAF with my A9P and it improved throttle response a bit. Plus it's a cheap upgrade :hick:

Actually I didn't really have a problem getting it in, but I did notice that there's not much room to adjust timing now.
Matt

Reply #8
The power increase with a Cobra intake on an otherwise stock motor comes mainly from the fact that the stock 5.0 lower is the biggest bottleneck on the intake side of the equation for the entire engine.  Thei beuty is in the fact that they allow a great amout of room for additional mods as far as flow potential is concerned and they are good looking to boot.

I have been thinking about a larger MAF since it's only 55mm

I've always been a fan of making sure your MAF can flow the same or more CFM than the throttle body....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #9
I hope you made a proper baffle for under that intake before you bolted it on....

looks good though...  and yes they do add quite a bit of power....

Reply #10
Quote from: thunderjet302;235861

How are you using a Crown Vic MAF if they use a bolt on  like a 94-95 Mustang GT?

The only ones I've seen that are 70mm that would physically work are for a 91-95 Thunderbird SC, 93 Cobra, or a 94-95 4.6 Thunderbird, and then I would have to swap my stock sensor into the housing.
Matt

Reply #11
Quote from: 5.0 bird;235915
How are you using a Crown Vic MAF if they use a bolt on  like a 94-95 Mustang GT?

The only ones I've seen that are 70mm that would physically work are for a 91-95 Thunderbird SC, 93 Cobra, or a 94-95 4.6 Thunderbird, and then I would have to swap my stock sensor into the housing.

DO NOT use the housings you have listed with the stock 55mm MAF sensor. They will cause false readings and/or a lean condition which can screw your engine.

Yes you can use the 94-95 Mustang GT MAF (same as the Crown Vic) easily. Just cut off the  with a Dremel, grind it down smooth and tada a blot on 70mm MAF :D. I didn't bother with the MAF bracket as it's secure enough with just the tubes, plus there is no where to bolt the bracket to the MAF housing. Oh and use the F2VF sensor than is on the housing, not the stock 55mm sensor in the Crown Vic housing;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #13
Quote from: thunderjet302;235963
DO NOT use the housings you have listed with the stock 55mm MAF sensor. They will cause false readings and/or a lean condition which can screw your engine.

Yes you can use the 94-95 Mustang GT MAF (same as the Crown Vic) easily. Just cut off the  with a Dremel, grind it down smooth and tada a blot on 70mm MAF :D. I didn't bother with the MAF bracket as it's secure enough with just the tubes, plus there is no where to bolt the bracket to the MAF housing. Oh and use the F2VF sensor than is on the housing, not the stock 55mm sensor in the Crown Vic housing;)

That's true about the smaller diameter, I forgot about that. A 94-95 Mustang MAF in a 93 Cobra/SC housing would work also wouldn't it? Since they're both 70mm. That's basically what I did when I had my Thunderbird, and it was fine.
Matt

Reply #14
I put a 70mm cobra MAF on my car, but I programmed a chip with the factory 70mm transfer function. The transfer function for the 55mm MAF and 70mm MAF are very close though (especially at low air flow). That's why alot of people can install the 70mm in place of the 55mm and the car runs fine (although maybe a little lean on the top end).
1988 Thunderbird
306 HO w/ A9P processor
AOD w/ Transgo Reprogrammer
Full Digital Dash w/ twin Cyberdyne A-pillar gauges 
245/50/16 Tires on Snowflakes
Engine swap - CA smog compliant