Skip to main content
Topic: 100K Miles!!! (Read 2221 times) previous topic - next topic

100K Miles!!!

I did it yesterday afternoon on the way home from work! I tried to capture the moment, but that darn camera phone is hard to handle while driving! :hick: Still, I've had this car for a few months now and I've really enjoyed it! Despite the age, I'm very thankful that it's been super reliable (after the fuel pump died the first day driving). Everytime I hear someone say that American cars aren't reliable, I just wanna kick 'em in the sack with my '91 Mustang with 300K-plus miles!

Time and a place to work have limited me doing the timing belt and water pump like I would like, but it's been running great! I've even averaged 20mpg combined driving! I wish it had some more low-end power (I'll be working on that), but overall, this car's been nothing but a pleasure to drive. Not only that, but I'm glad I found this forum!

Here's the moment on the 405 freeway--can't seem to hold the camera still, go figure.

After I got off the freeway, a little more steady--three miles later!

Back home in the garage. Still can't seem to hold that camera steady.

100K Miles!!!

Reply #1
Mind sharing some of that gas :beatyoass:

looks like you've got plenty to spare judging buy your gauge.
:birdsmily:

2.5" Cat Back Exhaust, CenterForce Stage 2 Dual Friction Clutch, B&M Ripper Shifter, T3/T4 Turbonetics 63 A/R Turbo, Rods Stainless Tubular Ceramic Coated Header, Boost Controller @ 15Psi, Kirban AFPR, 42lb Injectors, 190LPH Walbro Fuel pump, Ranger Roller Cam, 3" Aluminum Intake Tubing, K&N Cone,  KYB Struts, Koni Red Horizontals/Verticals, Eibach Sportline Springs, Racer Walsh C/C Plates, Polyurethane Bushings, 17x9 Cobra R Wheels

100K Miles!!!

Reply #2
And if you want some more low end grunt I would consider swapping in a ranger roller cam, Not only is it a cheap modification but it will improve your fuel economy and low end torque by a fairly good margin.

2.5" Cat Back Exhaust, CenterForce Stage 2 Dual Friction Clutch, B&M Ripper Shifter, T3/T4 Turbonetics 63 A/R Turbo, Rods Stainless Tubular Ceramic Coated Header, Boost Controller @ 15Psi, Kirban AFPR, 42lb Injectors, 190LPH Walbro Fuel pump, Ranger Roller Cam, 3" Aluminum Intake Tubing, K&N Cone,  KYB Struts, Koni Red Horizontals/Verticals, Eibach Sportline Springs, Racer Walsh C/C Plates, Polyurethane Bushings, 17x9 Cobra R Wheels

100K Miles!!!

Reply #3
Mine just did that recently - looked cool on the digital gauge :)
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

100K Miles!!!

Reply #4
Quote from: turbo88;234814
Mind sharing some of that gas :beatyoass:

looks like you've got plenty to spare judging buy your gauge.

Do you realize how many Mad Max characters I had to "off" just to fill up? :flame: Kill this guy, jump from this dune buggy to that dune buggy...it's a whole 'nother job! :D

I've been considering the Ranger cam. I hadn't gotten around to asking the right questions yet. I DEFINITELY need some low-end! I did a couple a searches to see if anyone had any comments good or bad about the Ranger cam and I couldn't really find much. But now I'll serisously consider it. I need to have the head done anyways, so I'll probably replace the head along with the new cam...

...then comes the nitrous!:burnout: Well, probably not right away...

I'd really like to find one of those old-school Ford Motorsport intercoolers...the ones that are smog legal--since I'm in the good ol' state o' California...

100K Miles!!!

Reply #5
Quote from: BlackCardinal;234920
Do you realize how many Mad Max characters I had to "off" just to fill up? :flame: Kill this guy, jump from this dune buggy to that dune buggy...it's a whole 'nother job! :D

I've been considering the Ranger cam. I hadn't gotten around to asking the right questions yet. I DEFINITELY need some low-end! I did a couple a searches to see if anyone had any comments good or bad about the Ranger cam and I couldn't really find much. But now I'll serisously consider it. I need to have the head done anyways, so I'll probably replace the head along with the new cam...

...then comes the nitrous!:burnout: Well, probably not right away...

I'd really like to find one of those old-school Ford Motorsport intercoolers...the ones that are smog legal--since I'm in the good ol' state o' California...

Ya well As you have probably realized i am currently using a Ranger Roller set-up, to optimize performance i would recommend getting an adjustable timing sprocket as well (I don't have one). Ever since I have installed it (which is no cake walk) I have been able to climb hills in 4th gear at 1600-1800RPM with no boost what so ever.

100K Miles!!!

Reply #6
Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going that route!

I read somewhere that I have to get a certian year range? It's like pre-2001 or something is what I'm supposed to get?

100K Miles!!!

Reply #7
I did the ranger roller sway on my 88, and it was an inprovement on the lower end over the stock slider cam.  Much more driveable. Slightly better mileage (1 to 2 mpg, depending on how I drive it). My stock slider was in pretty sad shape though.
You need the cam and roller followers from a 91 thru 93 Stang, or a 89 thru 93 Ranger, IIRC.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

100K Miles!!!

Reply #8
I agree with yall but u still need enough high end torque to get u out of trouble. What good about a car that takes 40 years to get to 60mph

100K Miles!!!

Reply #9
As long as were sharing milage.
I finally got to 40 on my E-250
took it while on the dog run to Cleveland last weekend.
I know, not as exciting. LOL

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

100K Miles!!!

Reply #10
Quote from: 88TurboCoupeman01;235131
I agree with yall but u still need enough high end torque to get u out of trouble. What good about a car that takes 40 years to get to 60mph

Actually, once the car gets moving, you don't need that much torque. Remember, torque gets you moving, horsepower keeps you moving. Good torque in the lower rpm range is most desirable, but at speed, torque doesn't do much--that's where horsepower helps.

100K Miles!!!

Reply #11
You know, when all else fails, there's always nitrous...

100K Miles!!!

Reply #12
Quote from: daminc;235134
As long as were sharing milage.
I finally got to 40 on my E-250
took it while on the dog run to Cleveland last weekend.
I know, not as exciting. LOL

A milestone nonetheless!!! :burnout:

100K Miles!!!

Reply #13
Just pups, try this...

Belongs to a friend... Original AOD puked at 335Kmi, He just installed another transmission
and she's back on the road... Heads never off the engine...

100K Miles!!!

Reply #14
Is that your red car?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook