Skip to main content
Topic: spare 2.3T head what to do? (Read 1601 times) previous topic - next topic

spare 2.3T head what to do?

ok, i have a spare, bare 2.3 turbo head at the machine shop being cleaned up.  other than a ranger cam...what would you recommend as far as valve size, porting, spring rates, etc as a base for building say 300-350 horsepower. what are this heads weak points as far as exhaust/intake flow as well as any oiling issues?

Reply #1
1.89/1.59 valves,have the spring pockets cut for double springs and lift clearance,new guides,cam bearings etc. Have the bowls ported also.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #2
I got 30 over valves and bigger roller rocker arms and a comp cam and a Aluminum radiator and a top end rebuild w/ new turbo and I have bout 200 to 220 Hp and it screems.

Reply #3
Quote from: 88TurboCoupeman01;234200
I got 30 over valves .

that equates to what size valves?

Reply #4
screems is spelled screams. it's called a d-i-c-t-i-o-n-a-r-y...you can get them at the l-i-b-r-a-r-y, or in your case w-a-l  m-a-r-t.

Reply #5
Actually,the first word of your sentence (all sentences) should be capitalized,and "w-a-l m-a-r-t" should be "W-a-l M-a-r-t".The "W" and "M" should be capitalized.We all make mistakes.No need to get ugly about it.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #6
It is when it derails the post. Nothing personal here, but the post was about what do do with a spare head and only 1 post (not to include this one) mentioned anything involving valve sizes, porting etc. Also please see s-a-r-c-a-s-m.

Reply #7
Sarcasm?Oh.When you post,I personally believe that you (meaning anyone here) is automatically open for any kind of comment.It goes with the territory.Don't take things too seriously,or you're going to set yourself up for disappointment every time.Thanks for being here.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #8
True...so which "her" would you be referring too?

Reply #9
I've edited.You can't prove a thing.

Reply #10
Touche'! :D  (that's french by the way;)  )

oops..almost missed it but "you" is a singular pr0noun and thus should be followed by the singular "be" verb are.  "IS" is plural(meaning more than one) and should be used in conjunction with plural nouns. ref saturday mornings schoolhouse rock.

Reply #11
30 over what ever stock size is.

Reply #12
you talking pistons or intake valves? when you bore the block, one generally refers to it being bored 10, 20 or 30 over. Intake and exhaust valves aren't referred to as .030 over, just whatever size you put in I.E 2.02" intake 1.92" exhaust. TC Man 01... i hope i dont come across as arrogant as that's not my intent and i do apologize if thats the case-- it's just that some of your posts seem to be like your texting on a cell phone...l24

Reply #13
I got 30 over valves and bigger roller rocker arms and a comp cam and a Aluminum radiator and a top end rebuild w/ new turbo and I have bout 200 to 220 Hp and it screems.

I call B.S

There is no such thing as 30 over valves.

There are NO larger ratio roller tappets for a 2.3
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #14

You could have gotten that with old stock stuff.

To the OP.  Even if you don't have larger valves put in the head, general clean-up and port work is worthwhile.  Are you planning on doing the porting yourself?  I would look to something else in regards to a cam that the RR.  Boport on TF has some nice stuff, including good street cams, and drop-in dual springs (running a set on my car currently).
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon