Skip to main content
Topic: Project Budget Bird... (Read 1697 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Budget Bird...

... is about to commence. I've been contemplating what I am going to do with this car for about 2 years now. It's been sitting in my garage under a cover but now it's time to get it back on the road. My house is going into foreclosure and I need to do this while I have a huge flat concrete driveway :)

The plan is to do a stock HO rebuild from start to finish for around $1200-$1400. The reason I'm not making it a drag car or doing something cool with it is because I agreed to sell it to my son for $2000 when he turns 16 in a couple years. (a pretty  good deal all things concidered).

It's already got a long list of upgrades but here are a few of the highlights...

AOD w/solid input shaft and wide ratio gear set
2000 RPM non lock-up convertor
3.55 8.8 TC rear w/ disk brakes
11" TC front brakes
HO Headers and H-Pipe
Magnaflow custom catback exhaust
MM CC plates
Chuck's Motor Mounts
3 row copper/brass radiator
Nice Pioneer deck that you can plug an I-pod into.
and a bunch of other little things...

I think 2 grand will be more than fair concidering all the work that's gone into it. I asked him what he would rather do... Pay me for the Bird or get something else with his 2K and he wants the bird... Smart kid :)

Most of you have seen this car before but here's a couple pics I snapped today....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

Project Budget Bird...

Reply #1
Believe me,I KNOW how to build a budget car.I've got zero dollars into my car.Not a cent has come from our paychecks.Selling on Ebay,here,and the Corral...trading,getting parts for free,etc.It's been a long journey,but I'm finally getting to the end (well,it's never REALLY over,but you know what I mean).Good luck with your build.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Project Budget Bird...

Reply #2
Quote from: Dogcharmer;234008
My house is going into foreclosure

Screw the car, you need to get your financial woes straightened out...

Project Budget Bird...

Reply #3
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;234035
Screw the car, you need to get your financial woes straightened out...

X2 man...  the car can wait, wory about keeping a roof over your head first....

Project Budget Bird...

Reply #4
Not if you don't care?
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Project Budget Bird...

Reply #5
Quote from: kitzdnm;234041
Not if you don't care?

True.....very true.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Project Budget Bird...

Reply #6
Our cars arent comfortable enough to live in
1986 Cougar LS

Project Budget Bird...

Reply #7
I fall into the "dont care" catagorie. I guess I should elaborate a little...

I got divorced back in April and got stuck with the house (got to keep both birds though:D ). It's been on the market since Feb and I cant afford it. I'm moving in with my girlfriend this weekend so I'm basically ditching the big house... But not until I've done the engine rebuild. I figure I've got another 5 to 8 weeks minimum before the mortgage company takes it. I've only missed 2 payments and they dont send the Sheriff to evict you till you've missed about 6.

The reason I want to do the work at this house is because of the nice driveway. My girlfriend's house only has a single car slab so I might as well make use of what I've got while I still have the chance.

My credit is FUBAR'd from the divorce but I do have a roof over my head :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Project Budget Bird...

Reply #8
Sorry to hear about the divorce, know it must be rough... Been there...

Project Budget Bird...

Reply #9
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;234091
Sorry to hear about the divorce, know it must be rough... Been there...

Me,too.I'm sticking with my Gayle.She has taken good care of me and been the best wife I could ever ask for.

Project Budget Bird...

Reply #10
Uh back to the build;)  I would suggest a 2400-2600 rpm converter. 2000 is too low for even a stock HO. Hell I need a 2400-2600 in mine plus your built wide ratio AOD, so I don't have to rebuild mine. Wanna put in a T5 and send me the AOD? ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Project Budget Bird...

Reply #11
I wish I could do a 5 speed conversion but that's way outside my budget...

I'm concidering a higher stall converter and may do that if I can get by without having to buy pistons. If I can get away with just honing the cylinders a looser converter would be my first choice. Now would definitely be the time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]