Skip to main content
Topic: Question about 140 mph speedo mod(Updated Pics 10/22/08) (Read 6616 times) previous topic - next topic

Question about 140 mph speedo mod(Updated Pics 10/22/08)

I was reading one of the archived threads about the 140mph speedo mod. My question is did anybody get any good speedo faces made? I want to do the mod but I really want mine to look stock. I've seen the link to the one that is posted on coolcats but I don't think I have the patience to try and print one out and trying to get it to match the other gauges.

Thanks.

Reply #1
I'll make it easy for you.You can buy mine for $600.00.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
Quote from: vinnietbird;233063

, man! you're always on the clock, when you're logged in!
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #3
LOL, anyway just subscribing to the thread I'd like to know as well. I really don't care too much about buying a real 140 mph speedo just too much $$ for numbers that I'll only see at the track and I will not be looking at the speedo anyway but it is a nice mod if it can be done cheap like under $50
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #4
One of the members over on NATO was converting and replacing the face... Dunno if he still does...Check out their FAQ...

Quote from: vinnietbird;233063

That should come with a case of K-Y jelly...

Reply #5
Yep,a really BIG case of the ol' jelly.LOL.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #6
Looks like I'll be pulling the cluster out of the 88 sport at pick-n-pull so I can "experiment" a little bit.

Reply #7
first born child,1 arm, and 1 leg please.

Reply #8
I made one, worked great.  Just have to use good print media (photo paper starts to discolor around the firm ride light in TC's)
1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
'89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

Reply #9
Quote from: booksix;233158
I made one, worked great.  Just have to use good print media (photo paper starts to discolor around the firm ride light in TC's)

Can you show a pic on how good it matches the rest of gauges.

Thanks,

ken

Reply #10
There was a member here that made custom gauge faces. Panther47 I think. I cant say much about his quality though.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #11
U can download the printal gauges and print them on photo paper, and goto coolcats.com and look for the 199 digatal speedomter mod. From what I have look at mine the TC gauges are different and don't have the W2 place to solder, and the hole mother board is different form what I can tell. If any one can tell me were the w2 is on the mother board for the TC gauge cluster.

Reply #12
I have someone that makes white face overlays for our cars. He is going to make the a brand new set of overlays in black(so they all match). He is charging $40.00 plus shipping. I'll buy the first one and show you guys what it looks like when I get it. I have to take a picture of my cluster at night because he wants to make sure about the way the numbers and the dials illuminate(or not). I'll pay for them  on monday and see how long it takes for him to make them. I'll keep you guys posted.

Ken

Reply #13
Quote from: 88TurboCoupeman01;233189
U can download the printal gauges and print them on photo paper, and goto coolcats.com and look for the 199 digatal speedomter mod. From what I have look at mine the TC gauges are different and don't have the W2 place to solder, and the hole mother board is different form what I can tell. If any one can tell me were the w2 is on the mother board for the TC gauge cluster.

We're talking about the buttstuffog speedo here, not digital.
Another thing to consider is this: After you install the 140mph overlay or whatnot, your speedo will be INACCURATE!
There's a resistor that must be soldered in, see the writeup on Coolcats.net for the details.

Secondly, I told you in YOUR thread to go to CoolCats for the mod. :D AND..it's better known as the W2 mod ;)

Thirdly, you're gonna look awhile for the W2 position on the TC (and Sport) buttstuffog speedo...because it's not there in the first place! lol :evilgrin:

If you (or anyone else) want a converted and working base digital cluster that also has the stainless bezel that you can find on ebay, PM me...I have one I'll sell...

Panther, as mentioned before had a thread in the Vendor's section about custom gauge faces. Not sure how active he is though, maybe a PM to him...?
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #14
What is the process for coverting the TC gauges to 140mph.

Hope I am not maken anyone mad but I really want to do this mod cause it would cost me $75 to get it calabrated and I could use that for something better.