Skip to main content
Topic: Oil Galley Plug On Back Of Head!!!!! (Read 979 times) previous topic - next topic

Oil Galley Plug On Back Of Head!!!!!

I had another member of a forum give me advice on using this plug location to run the turbo feed line from on m 2.3L turbo motor. I am not saying that this was the cause for what happened but would like to know if it could be the problem. If it is then I wouldn't want to tell anyone else to do this. I put the new turbo on and ran the brand new stinger oil feed and return lines. We left the feed line disconnected at the turbo for a few seconds to prime oil system and clear any debris that may have been caught up in them due to install. We then connected the feed line to the turbo and primed again to get a good supply of oil to the turbo. Then we started the car and it ran great. No problems whatsoever. We took the car for a short(800 ft) ride and noticed smoke coming from under the car. I assumed that since I had painted the exhaust  etc. with VHT flameproof paint that it was just baking on. Well I noticed about that time that the car seemedto be losing a bit of power so we turned around and headed back. I made it right to the end of my buddies driveway and the car stalled. I tried to turn it over again and thats when it happened. The timing belt snapped in half. I thought maybe bad belt then I remembered that we just got it whe we started head job. I confirmed my suspicions when I wrapped the belt around cam gear and tried to turn it. It was locked solid in place. It is a ranger roller setup by the way. The only thing we can come up with is that the plug is actually a blockoff of sorts to the cam supply oil galley and we took away too much oil and voila no more worky. Any one who has any idea if I am correct or if the could be another anser please let me know. I have spent two months working on this car since I bought it. I haven't even made one decent ride in this car. First we hade the head surfaced and did the head gasket and brand new six point head bolts, then we put a rebuilt turbo on(which blew up upon startup), then we put a new turbo on and this happend. All the while I have been purchasing parts for the interior/exterior to bring the car back to nice condition and installing them while waiting for parts to fix the turbo/head problems. Please help me. the next step if I can't fix it with yet another head, head gasket, roller cam/followers, and head bolts is to send it to the crusher.:punchballs: :mad:

Reply #1
The plug is a block off for the oil feed galley in the head, but if you had oil pressure it should not be a problem.

I know guys have used that location before for an oil feed.  The oil would either leave out that hole, or the big hole on the driver side of the head to the stock oil feed.

The head shouldn't be damaged, but the cam bearings may be.  Best to pull the cam out and see what they look like.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #2
OK. Thanks Chuck. Thats what I gathered from about 4 hours of searching and reading posts. I think there is probably extensive damage, but I won't know till I get the valve cover off. I won't see the car until we get home today. We are down in Jersey at the inlaws for the weekend. I hope I can just take out the cam,followers,HLA's, have it cleaned and new cam bearings installed. I would assume that I could find another roller cam in the yard and take everything for mine right?

Reply #4
Tom,

Sorry, to hear about yet another set back.  While I don't know what has caused your problem, I can assure you that using that oil feed location is not it.  There are at least 5 TurboFords running around with turbos being fed oil by that galley that were done by me personally.  Some of those still have slider cams installed. 

Let us know what you see when you pull the cam cover off and we'll work from there. 

Tommy

Reply #5
I didn't think that it would cause that problem. I am getting answers from you guys so that I am armed and ready. My buddy that I bought the car from insisted that had to be it. I want to be able to show him that no in fact something else was wrong before I did that. He doesn't want to take responsibility for anything that was wrong with the "excellent shape" car he sold me. He blew smoke up my hind end and expected me not to do anything about it. Tommy, I am running a ranger roller conversion. I just need to find out what caused it so I can fix it.
Jcassity, I put brand new oil feed line setup and a brand new oil return setup on from Stinger. I double triple checked to make sure that everything was done right before we buttoned it up.

Reply #6
was the allen plug in the back of the cam?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #7
Nope. It was in the back of the head just around the side of the head from the original feed for the turbo and oil pressure sending unit.

Reply #8
Well as it turns out after getting the valve cover off the only damage was the cam bearings. I got the cam out last night and the front cam bearing was seized to the cam and the front cam seal was destroyed. The second cam bearing was much better but still not good. Three and four were lightly scored. The funny part is that there was plenty of oil laying in the valley of the head and the cam lobes, followers, and HLA's were covered in a nice coat of oil. I don't get it. Is it possible that I overtightened the timing belt and it took out the front bearing which in turn took out the others. One more question, there is a little nub that is part of my VC gasket that sits in the front cam bearing hole, should it be there?

Reply #9
I would check that oil feed to the #1 cam bearing for blockage.

The holes on the top of the cam towers do nothing.  They are there from when they drilled through them to drill the oil feeds for the cam bearings (on the bottom of the towers). 
Mine are tapped/plugged on my head as I am using the "oil control" cam bearings that are grooved on the outside to feed oil to the top of the bearing, instead of out the bottom (since the cam is being pushed up to the top of the bearings by the valve springs).

If you pulled the head, I'd go through and remove the front and rear oil galley plugs and make sure all the oil feeds to the cam and HLA's are clear.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #10
Yeah I still have to pull the head. I have to have the first cam boss checked since the bearing seized to the cam and spun in the boss.