Skip to main content
Topic: What to do what to do?with pics 8/22 (Read 1131 times) previous topic - next topic

What to do what to do?with pics 8/22

I just got a letter today from the storage place I have my 85 cougar at. I know it isn't much money $10/month but I need to figure out what to do with it. It is a real slick car just needs some TLC. 85XR7 2.3T Auto Floor shift. White with the Gray stripes at the bottom. Leather interior in fair shape. The motor is toast. The head is cracked and the #3 piston has a piece missing and score marks in the cylinder walls. The biggest problem I have is that I never received the Title form the owner as they didn't have it from the Bank yet. I did get a Bill of sale:

Just very short on cash but want to keep the car. Anyone have any ideas. I've talked to the local DMV and they told me that the P.O. only had 30days to get me the title and I told them it has been 4-5yrs and the lady told me to talk to the prosecuting attorney! I don't want to case problems but I really want this car. It is so nice and it would fit right in next to my 84 Turbo coupe. I've looked and can't seem to find those P.O.'s to talk with them. I'll get some pics maybe tomorrow. Wishing I could get something done with this one. 4 eyed early COUGAR 2.3Turbo.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #1
dad bought a boat trailer from the sear and robuck mag back in the early 60's. i have the trailer and when i got here, dmv wanted the serial number on it .  I told them there was not one and they freaked like it was impossible.

I had the police come out,, verify it had none, got a signed dospoogeent from the officer stating so, applied for a title on something that dmv could finaly track and tax.

in your case,, no title,,, talk to the police and learn what the process is in your state.  its probably going to be some sort of abandonment title if you can spin it off like that.  You are willing to take possession of said abandoned car and take on proper taxation.    you will be required to advertise the abandoned car to the public in some form such as a newspaper article for a period of 30day (here in wv).  At that time, there is a process at the courthouse that paves you a path to your first step in getting a title.

or.......

a salvage title based on the your cirspoogestance.  you do need to talk to the state police and ask them to please explain the options, not "your screwed".

Reply #2
If a bank had the title, it must have had a lien on it.
You may have got it just ahead of the repo man.
Or it could be they never legally owned it when they sold it to you.
Can't understand why you let so much time go by.

Reply #3
I don't know about there but in GA once a car is a certain age a bill of sale is all that is neccessary to register the car.

Reply #4
Quote from: softtouch;231906
If a bank had the title, it must have had a lien on it.
You may have got it just ahead of the repo man.
Or it could be they never legally owned it when they sold it to you.
Can't understand why you let so much time go by.

It sounds likely that they used the cash for other things instead of paying off the lien. But if they gave you a bill of sale stating that they would give you a title then they still owe you a title.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #5
Most states also have a mechanics lien or storage lien you can use to get a new title. This is sort of a rough idea but since you have a bill of sale, and have been paying storage on it, then the "owners" would have to either reimburse you or forfeit the title to you. I know it usually doesn't take much to make this happen, just some dmv paper work, couple of ads in the paper stating your claim, if no one shows up to pay the bill by a certain date its all yours. Just an idea.

Reply #6
I VA you can also apply for a title on a abandoned vehicle that's in your possession, paper work is similar to the mechanics lien...

Reply #7
well I got some pics of her today. they are cell phone pics. Here we go.

and yes she needs a bath

She still looks so good to me just need to get the title worked out. And Yes I know it has been far to long but I got this car when I had a broken back and just haven't had time to get back to it. Kinda outta sight outta mind type deal. Just need to get it working in my favor.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #8
Just send it up to me. I could use so much off that car.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #9
Not too many options there.;)
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #10
Quote from: V8Demon;233274
Not too many options there.;)

Hey hey hey he got the optional cassette in the deck. It looks decent what were you planing on doing with it?