Skip to main content
Topic: !... broke the cougar tonight (Read 1385 times) previous topic - next topic

!... broke the cougar tonight

I just got in from a cruise in the cat, to take my mind off some personal issues going on in my life.:toilet:  Well I rounded a corner from a stop sign and decided to drop the shifter in to 1... :evilgrin::burnout:  when I did the shifter felt funny, and it didnt downgear?:punchballs:  oops, im thinking...  ("did I just hurt the tranny?" I think to myself...) I slip the shifter back to OD and there is no tension or nothing there at all... :toilet:  :mad:  I just broke the cable!  SO....  time to do the same thing Vinnie did....  T5 swap time...:evilgrin: :hick: gotta go up town and get a new clutch kit tomorrow and swap it in...  should have it up and running again tomorrow night.:flip:

Reply #1
Sorry to hear about the broke tranny,but,it's a mixed blessing.Like you said,5 speed time.It took my friend and I about four hours to get it all together.We weren't in a hurry.MUCH easier than I had thought it would be.By the way,there's a guy selling new adjustable clutch cables on Ebay,and he said he'd sell two of them (brand new) for $55.00 shipped.Not a bad deal.I bought two.One for me,one for my friend.The car has been great,but I'm still adjusting to it after 20 years with an AOD.I LOVE the pistol grip.Man,it's perfect.Good luck,and kep us posted.Remember,pics are required !!!
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
I want a 5 speed....
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #3
I got a question??? (sorry eric im sure it is but I have to ask anyway) Is coolcats still correct that it is not wise to put one in a 3.8???
:ford::oldcougar::mercury:

Reply #4
it is not wise to do ANYTHING to a 3.8L, besides use one for a boat anchor. ;)

Reply #5
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;230635

Eric's gonna ban you....:rollin:
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #6
I'd love to do a T5 swap also, but my AOD has been working perfectly, even after I've done both of the things on Coolcats' "Do not do to an AOD" list:  I manual shift it at the track and I drove about half a mile back home when the TV cable broke.  Still works perfectly, so no reason to go T5 yet, unless I come across a lotta extra money.  Would anyone like to chime in on how much total it'd be to do a T5 swap with mostly used/rebuilt parts?  I've seen T5s on Corral for $400-500.

Reply #7
Here's the thing,if you want to do a 5 speed swap,this is how it worked for me.I don't take any money from our paychecks for the car,only trading or from selling parts (or freebies of course).I bought the tranny for $200.00,complete with bell housing and fork.

$200---tranny,bell housing,fork
$50.00---New clutch kit from Ebay after watching patiently for a while
$60.00---Two adjustable clutch cables (new in the boxes)
Free pedal assembly from a busted Stang 4 banger
$14.00--- new pedal pads
$35.00-- new firewall adjuster I can't use (It's for sale)
$12.00--Ford Racing aluminum clutch quadrant (Ebay)
$30.00---for fluids
Everything else,like the crossmember,tranny mount,driveshaft were a direct fit from the AOD.The bottom left electrical plug on the 5 speed plugged right into the AOD harness for backup lights.

If you take your time and shop around,one piece at a time,you can get it all for cheap.Patience and a little time go a long way.Believe me,I'm into my Sport and everything in/on it for nothing (after selling trading and freebies).
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #8

And not good for even a moderate size boat...

Reply #9
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;230693
And not good for even a moderate size boat...

LOL

Well I dunno If I am going to just fix the cable for now or do the swap...  My Dad and I are taking the Cougar to Prince Edward Island in a couple weeks, (20+hour drive) for a week of Golfing and an AOD would be nice for that, then we are going to Nova Scotia for a day, (wanna meet up Carm?:mullet: :cheers:)  Might wait to do the swap til after the trip....

Reply #10
Quote from: vinnietbird;230661
Here's the thing,if you want to do a 5 speed swap,this is how it worked for me.I don't take any money from our paychecks for the car,only trading or from selling parts (or freebies of course).I bought the tranny for $200.00,complete with bell housing and fork.

$200---tranny,bell housing,fork
$50.00---New clutch kit from Ebay after watching patiently for a while
$60.00---Two adjustable clutch cables (new in the boxes)
Free pedal assembly from a busted Stang 4 banger
$14.00--- new pedal pads
$35.00-- new firewall adjuster I can't use (It's for sale)
$12.00--Ford Racing aluminum clutch quadrant (Ebay)
$30.00---for fluids
Everything else,like the crossmember,tranny mount,driveshaft were a direct fit from the AOD.The bottom left electrical plug on the 5 speed plugged right into the AOD harness for backup lights.

If you take your time and shop around,one piece at a time,you can get it all for cheap.Patience and a little time go a long way.Believe me,I'm into my Sport and everything in/on it for nothing (after selling trading and freebies).

Where in the world did you find a complete T5/bellhousing/fork for $200?  I want some of that!  If I could get all that stuff for those prices, I'll definitely go T5.

Reply #11

besides this answer noone really chimed in (sorry for the hijack didnt wanna start a new thread for something wthat would take a minute to answer) Will it work swapping a 5 speed into a 3.8??
:ford::oldcougar::mercury:

Reply #13
Quote from: kingcars;230755
Where in the world did you find a complete T5/bellhousing/fork for $200?  I want some of that!  If I could get all that stuff for those prices, I'll definitely go T5.

I got the tranny assembly from a guy on Ebay who was selling it in Canada.He said he would allow for local pick-up only,so,I just watched it.After 4 days,I asked if he'd ship it if I pay for it.He said he'd do that,and,he would ship it from Washington (if I could wait for a couple of weeks) when he went on a monthly work trip.No problem for me.I got it cheaper than he had planned and shipping.Patience REALLY pays off.I just got a World Class,freshly rebuilt tranny today for the Bird.we're installing it Friday morning.My T-5 will go to a new home somewhere.The guy helping me also has a stage 2 clutch he's adding to the deal.My clutch is a factory replacement,but it's new,BUT,a Stage 2 will be nice as well,and my new clutch cable should be here by then as well.

Reply #14
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;230702
LOL

Well I dunno If I am going to just fix the cable for now or do the swap...  My Dad and I are taking the Cougar to Prince Edward Island in a couple weeks, (20+hour drive) for a week of Golfing and an AOD would be nice for that, then we are going to Nova Scotia for a day, (wanna meet up Carm?:mullet: :cheers:)  Might wait to do the swap til after the trip....

Just do the swap now and get it over with,then you can relax when you get home.The swap only takes an afternoon..5th gear on the highway is nice as well.