Skip to main content
Topic: Noisy power steering (Read 1398 times) previous topic - next topic

Noisy power steering

I'm curious guys, on my Mom's 83 Cougar her power steering unit is very noisy.  It's not a real old unit, works well, doesn't leak or use fluid, yet continually makes ALOT of noise.  What's the issue?

Noisy power steering

Reply #1
I had that problem.I pured a bottle of Lucas steering fluid in there and it got real quiet.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Noisy power steering

Reply #2
+1 on the Lucas product.  My 88TC was making a lot of noise also, and it quited right up.  Still need to do a complete fluid change some time though. It is kind of dirty.  I imagine a complete fluid change plus the Lucas stuff will make it REALLY quite.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

Noisy power steering

Reply #3
my 20th is kinda loud but im using transmission fluid.  maybe your fluid is a little too thick.

Noisy power steering

Reply #4
Wasnt Type F atf the original fill in our cars? That stuff is really thin.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Noisy power steering

Reply #5
Belts not tight enought??
===85BIRD===
:birdsmily:

Noisy power steering

Reply #6
Maybe there is still some air in the system. I remember reading somewhere that to get all the air out you have to jack the front end up and work the steering wheel back and forth lock to lock. IF nothing else can make it stop then it sounds you might be in need of a new rack!
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Noisy power steering

Reply #7
I've had a noisy p/s pump in the convertible for 7 years now. It's definitely not air bubbles. ;)

The Lucas stuff works great, and I'm sure other additives are just as good. The directions state that it may take up to 500 miles for the additive to work but in my experience it's been more like 1000 miles. Still quiets things up eventually though.

Noisy power steering

Reply #8
Our ford P/S pump have a habit of getting noisy, someone told me a long time ago keep them clean and put type F in only. I listened and knock on wood I haven’t had a problem in years and owned many fords since.

Noisy power steering

Reply #9
Bigger tires don't help either.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Noisy power steering

Reply #10
Ill give the "air thing" a valiant effort and go under to loosen the two line fittings on either end.  I'll assume i can get air out from there but if it still happens, im lost.

my pump is oem but the rack / lines are new.

Noisy power steering

Reply #11
mine whines like a scolded dog, i guess i'll try the lucas stuff in it, see if that helps