Skip to main content
Topic: distributor gear ?????'s (Read 811 times) previous topic - next topic

distributor gear ?????'s

THE QUESTION : can any one tell me what car i can get a tfi with iron gear from i have searched hi and low and i cant seem to find any thing that is helpful i was told a lincoln town car but not sure
i was given one out of idk what is there a way of telling what gear it has on it

Backstory:

well every one i havnt been on in a long while cause some drunk ran a red light and totaled my bird but i gots me a new one with a weird engine combo

i got a a9l and a 91' mustang harness slapped on a 289 with ported e7 heads cobra rockers and a comp 280h cam (302) firing order the a9l has been tweecered to the right firing order all dumped in a 84' t-bird

yeah i know its a lil diffrent but it works i ahve fired it up it idles good and revs fine i have not driven it yet because i dont have the right gear on my distributor it has a steel one and i need a iron one

WOOOO ITS GOOD TO BE BACK IN A BIRD!!!!!
:flip:I GOT MORE POWER NOW:flip:
:mad:..BUT I NEED EVEN MORE..:mad:

distributor gear ?????'s

Reply #1
any non-roller cam 289/302/351 should have an iron gear. its the shaft diameter is what you need to determine. there is a .468" and a .531".
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

distributor gear ?????'s

Reply #2
i will measure the shaft but does the shaft diameter determine wether or not it is iron i am looking for a tfi that i can just drop in that has an iron gear

i really dont want to mess with swapping gears in the dist

distributor gear ?????'s

Reply #3
typically the roller cam motors have a steel gear. an 85 CFI mustang may have the iron gear.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

distributor gear ?????'s

Reply #4
i will look into that is there any thing on the distributor that will let me know what gear it has on it

distributor gear ?????'s

Reply #5
what about a truck 302 pre-'94?  They were non-roller cammmed.

Interestingly enough, according to Rockauto the trucks and the CFI 302's had the hardened gear -- Standard part # DG17.  I checked through an '88 F-150 and an '85 T-bird and got the same results as an '87 T-bird which was the same as a '90 Mustang.

Checking an '81 T-bird 5.0 gave me the other part #

The one you want is Standard part # DG1
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!