Skip to main content
Topic: Bunch of questions on a 3.86cyl (Read 1635 times) previous topic - next topic

Bunch of questions on a 3.86cyl

First all, i'd like to know the timerange a 936cyl cougar would run in 1/4 mile. and what a 95 4.6 cougar would run in a 1/4 mile,
2nd.. If i do the stroked 4.2 switch how hard would it be to come across the parts of the 4.2 and how long of a job do you think it would take. and how much HP is the stock auto tranny for 6 cyl's rated to take, also the rear end and such.
For anyone with 6 cyls. what are the first basic things i should do to get more hp/tq out of the engine,id like to SC or turbo it, yet i dont know the ranges of it, i know they usually run 2kish tho.
i would do the 5.0 switch, but i dont want to be like everyone else w/ a fast cougar ya know

Re: Bunch of questions on a 3.86cyl

Reply #1
more torque? stroke it! heh. looks like morana is up to his old tricks again. 4.6L Stroker The other stroker kits are there too.

Heads/Cam/Intake/Exhaust all make horses. You can port your own Heads and Intake or get someone else to do it for you. Plan on spending some money on this engine as it's not a popular mod for a reason. Super/Turbo kits are usually 2K and up. Turbos being the more expensive.

I haven't the faintest what these cars run in the quarter stock. Good Luck with your project. Traveling down the road less traveled can (at times) be a lonely one.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #2
Quarter mile times  Might give you an idea of what it would run in the 1/4
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #3
Wonder if it's possible to order that 4.6 kit with forged pistons as opposed to hypereutectics.  A 280 cubic inch V6That you could throw a blower on top of. 
That would be quite interesting to say the least!
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #4
hrm paul your right. a stroked 4.6 6cyl with boost sounds nice..i wonder how much boost it could take all day w/o worring about creep and such damaging....

Reply #5
a stock 93 3.8L should run about a 17.1-17.2 at the track

going 4.6L would be awesome, but overly expensive, 2,600 just for the kit, then youd need some machine work done, then to make some decent power, youd need a big cam, some major head work, and the intakes heavily worked over

also, some headers would be very helpful, but theyre hard to attain, 96-97 tbird/cougas came with tubular headers that flow well, they could use a little porting around the collector, but with that done, they dont become a restriction untill about 300hp, and youll need to have a custom bent exhaust made to mate to those headers

theres guys putting down 450+ rwhp on stock 4.2L bottom ends, and forced induction, so i dont know if going 4.6L and forced induction would push the limits of the block power wise

as for boost, it depends on your compression ratio, and other things, stock 5.0's handle 12psi with an intercooler very well, but you need to definatly be sure you dont run it lean, or your beautiful pistons will look like a set of ashtrays, forged or not

the 3.8 tranny and rear wouldnt hold up very well, youd need to at least have a performance/heavy duty build done to the transmission, and swap the rear out for an 8.8, like what came in the super coupes
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #6
Yea i see how much it would cost- which is scaring me... at the moment my pockets arent that deep.. =(. one of my friends is selling a 86 lincoln towncar w/ the 5.0 and if im thinking right doesnt it have the 8.8 rear in it? if so, how hard is it just to do a 5.0 swap so i can make a project of the 3.8 =) i still plan on building the 3.8 but its going to take a while to finish the project heh.
hes letting it go for 500$ wasnt 86 before roller motor also? didnt they come in 88+ lincolns/marqiuies and such? What would i need to do the 5.0 swap into a 93 cougar 6cyl.... ?
thx in advance

Reply #7
The 86 is a roller block NON HO.  To do the swap it would have everything you need to get it up and running at least until you got some coin together to do the ol HO upgrade.  For that go here:
http://www.coolcats.net/tech/advanced/ho_conversion.html
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #8
as for the 8.8, it wont work

the 89-97 thunderbirds and cougars have independant rear susension, which uses a pumpkin thats mounted to the chassis, then CV axles to the wheels, youd need mn12 specific stuff there
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #9
Whats the diff b/t the reg 5.0 and the Ho other than fir order and stuff, what made them change it? and tbird could you explian further about the mn12 stuff plz. if the 8.8 from the lincoln wont work, i believe i have the 7.5 at the moment, what would be best to do or would the 7.5 w/ a locker be ok for the 5.0... hate the 1 tire fires it does even with the 6cyl

Reply #10
the mn12 is the 89-97 platform, you can pick up an 8.8 from a supercoupe, or other various mn12's, im not sure what cars all got em in the mn12 line

a 7.5 would be alright for a stock HO in your case though

as for the HO and the standard 5.0, theres a bunch of differences, the HO got pistons with valve reliefs, better heads, a much better cam, better upper intake, better throttle body, and few other odds and ends depending on year and application
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #11
Try TCCOA They are directed more towards the MN12's (89-97 body style). I'm sure they would have alot more info for you.