Skip to main content
Topic: brake line problems on rear end swap (Read 1168 times) previous topic - next topic

brake line problems on rear end swap

Hey guys i have put a lincoln 8.8 5 lug under my 86 thunderbird v6 and i cannot figure out what to buy to make the lines connect to the brake line block on the rear. It has two different sizes, one side is regular 1/4 i think. The other is at my best guess a metric size. I can't find any metric to standard adaptors at local parts houses or brake shops. Should I replace the line all the way up along with master cylinder or is there a simple solution. Also if anyone has done this is there a problem with the performance of the rear disc on the lincoln when using a mc for rear drum?

Reply #1
If you have a double flaring tool, you can create your own adapter by taking a small piece of brake line removing one standard fitting and replacing it with a metric.  Many parts stores will rent double flaring tools.  Plan on two or three tries to get it right.  There's a learning curve on doing double flares (filing the corrrect bevel is the key).

You will need to install an adjustable regulator in the line to the rear brakes to get the correct pressure to the discs.

Reply #2
It shouldn't be metric.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #3
One side is 3/16", the other is 1/4". I cannot remember if Ford did the ol' trick of using 3/16" tubing into a 1/4" female fitting by using a special male fitting (Edelmann 121034). I've got a spare rear line at my house and will check it out when I get home today.

Edelmann catalog

Reply #4
My previous post is correct. You need to either reuse the old tube nut or get the 121034 Edelmann tube nut and use 3/16" line.

PS - This should be in the Suspension/Steering section.

Reply #5
thanks for the help guys. I will try edelmann.