Skip to main content
Topic: Why does't the US make ford vehicles look like european (Read 1640 times) previous topic - next topic

Why does't the US make ford vehicles look like european

Iv'e seen the Austraulin Mondeo and the russian and european Focus.... Why cant we as americans have those great looking vehicles here too? I mean the new Focus is not ugly, but the europe market Focus looks hot! And the Mondeo? Whats the deal, are we tyrying for plain Jane? Whats your view?

Reply #1
Good topic. We've had a couple of threads already on it. Try the search feature.

Reply #2
No, the new focus is FUGLY and unfortunatley my mom loves it,ewwwwwwwww.
Agreed though,some of the europen cars are hot.

Reply #3
That notched back does nothing for me i still prefer our focus's. Now i have a feeling if ford come out with this focus GT turbo 4 the hatchback will re appear probably as the euro focus.

Reply #4
Dude I would take that car over our Focus anyday!!!

Reply #6
Maybe Europeans aren't as picky about their cars, or maybe they are more so.... I personally don't like the looks of many of their cars. They aren't as sleek... and most just look dorky to me. lol

It could also be production costs.... I think a lot more Americans own cars than Europeans.... although I have nothing to back this up. I just think more Europeans ride bikes and walk than Americans do..... so maybe the production costs are different for each area.
:cougarsmily:~Karen~

Reply #7
Yes. The production costs of European cars are quite a bit more than comparable North American ones. Most Europeans are willing to pay more than we do for a car, which is why they think our cars have cheap materials. It's because they do. Most Americans aren't willing to spend an extra $3G to have a soft dash.

Reply #8
I think it would depend on the benefits of having a soft dash as to whether I'd pay more for it to be in my car. (just using that as an example)
:cougarsmily:~Karen~

Reply #9
A huge part of it is that North Americans consider small cars to be cheap shiznitboxes, so they expect them to be cheap. Europeans are used to high fuel prices, and premium small cars are not a new thing over there. They've long realized that you don't need to sacrifice style or comfort for fuel economy (an ugly car is just as expensive to build as a pretty one). Ford (and every other manufacturer) is more willing to invest in small cars in a market where people will pay premium prices for them. In markets where small = bottom-of-the-heap, we get bottom-of-the-heap cars. There are a few exceptions (Volvo C30, Mini) but for the most part we think cheap when we think small.

This might change as people move out of their SUV's and into smaller vehicles. Somebody with a leather-lined Eddie Bauer Explorer is not going to find a cloth-lined Focus acceptable.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #10
And that would explain why Mini's sales are up, to the point where more production is warranted, whilst everyone else's sales are down. Smart is doing well here too.

Reply #11
*Sniff* *Sniff*

I smell bad rice.

Reply #12
You're familiar with the term "Ugly American", right?

Pretty much every Euro version of a car makes the US version look like the homely cousin...
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #13
Quote from: Chuck W;227906
You're familiar with the term "Ugly American", right?

Pretty much every Euro version of a car makes the US version look like the homely cousin...

Yeah. That's similar to the "Fat American", right.

Reply #14
Quote from: oldraven;227960
Yeah. That's similar to the "Fat American", right.

"You see, the thing about putting a nice big engine like this on is for one big reason: weight, alot of weight. this big thing weighs nearly 600 pounds, which is the same as putting a whole american on the back" - Clarkson

Kinda..
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon