Skip to main content
Topic: Alternator will not charge battery (Read 2975 times) previous topic - next topic

Alternator will not charge battery

I have replaced the battery, the starter, all cables, and the alternator has been replaced four times.  Is there some secret that would make the alternator not charge the battery...

Reply #1
What year car might be useful...

Does the battery light come one when you turn the key/start the car, and then go out once the car starts?
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #2
depending on the year, whatever your may be...
 did you replace the voltage regulator also?
what cables did you replace?
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible
2015 Ford Focus SE 1.0 EcoBoost

Reply #3
88 cougar v8
is there a voltage regulator on the starter?
thats what i thought it was...
car cuts on but
battery light beeps every 5sec...
reads normal at the same time.

Reply #4
I just had the same problem on my 1988 5.0- my issue was the green/red striped wire that is supposed to supply 12v key-hot to the regulator failed for yet to be determined reasons.  Take a voltage tester and make sure all the wires to the alt are performing their intended function (12v constant, 12v Key-hot, Ground, etc).
1988 Thunderbird 5.0 Sport
"Pretty Bird"

Reply #5
your voltage regulator should be on your alternator, earlier ones are on the pass. fenderwell.
have you checked the voltage at the battery while its running?
are you sure you hooked the wires up right on the alt.?
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible
2015 Ford Focus SE 1.0 EcoBoost

Reply #6
i have the same problem on my 86 t bird does anyone knows how to fix this the is voltage in all the cables new battery  new alternator and new regulator  battery still not charging please help

Reply #7
To troubleshoot the problem you need a volt meter.
Otherwise it's swap till you drop. If you have already dropped then it's time to get a meter.

Reply #8
I have replaced the battery, the starter, all cables, and the alternator has been replaced four times. Is there some secret that would make the alternator not charge the battery...

Reply #9
I have replaced the battery, the starter, all cables, and the alternator has been replaced four times. Is there some secret that would make the alternator not charge the battery...

Reply #10
If you are looking for suggestions for more parts to replace I can't help you.
I can help you troubleshoot the problem.
You need the basic tools for working on electrical problems, a multimeter and an automotive test light.
Is the car stock?
How do you know the alternator is not charging the battery?
Does the battery run down while you are driving or when parked?

Reply #11
Solenoid stuck? Had that freak problem once
Bad battery?
Something else may be draining your battery?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #12
when i start the car and go to the battery gauage(my instruments are buttstuffog)  i have 3 bars and the battery is flashing    it doesnt charge by when my dad shorts one of the cable posite to the battery the alternator stars charging and it shows on the guage    but if i shut the car down and start it again same thing happens    battery is down and not charging  besides are those multimeter on ebay the tool i need?    thanx for helping me out    that problem is keeping the bird in the garage and driving my dad nuts

Reply #13
Bad ground then?
what post is he shorting? the Neg.?
how is he shorting it out?
What is he shorting it to?

More exact descriptions would help the troubleshooting on this.
Any multimeter with dc would work, if it has continuity testing also, it would be a plus in checking for broken wires and cnnections.
once you get the meter, softtouch  or some of the others can tell you how and what to check.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #14
You can get a multimeter and a test light at any car parts store and most hardware stores.

The Ace hardware near me has them.
Digital multimeter $22
Test light $3.29

The digital meter is easier for the novice to use than an buttstuffog meter.
If you go to a hardware store, be sure to get a low voltage, 6-12v, test light. They also have electricians test lights for house voltages.