Skip to main content
Topic: BBK / Factory Header question (Read 1675 times) previous topic - next topic

BBK / Factory Header question

Im thinking about buying a set of bbk 1515 shorty headers for my 84 t bird. Has anyone had any experiences with these either good or bad?
How many horsepower will the 1990 factory stang shorty headers support before an upgrade is nessesary?  Any opinions?

Reply #1
I've got a set of bbk shorties and they fit really well, no leaks etc etc, if I had to do it all over again I think I would have gone with the equal length shorties. I know that you'll see a few horsepower improvement with them over a set of factory headers. So if you got the money splurge and get the bbks they will eventually pay for themselves.
1987 Tbird 5.0 swap, go fast mods coming soon....

Reply #2
Quote from: JrP;225094
How many horsepower will the 1990 factory stang shorty headers support before an upgrade is nessesary?  Any opinions?

Not even what a stock HO is capable of developing... In a MM&FF head shootout, a totally stock HO produced 245Hp with dyno headers and exaust system... I've had the 1515s since '99 and have had no issues with them... Running them on a Trick Flow headed 5.0...

Reply #3
Do your bbk,s have lots of clearance around the steering shaft?  Do you think you would have enough room to put the equal lenght ones in? Got any pictures of the headers installed?

Reply #4
Steering shaft clearance is more than adequate w/ the shorties, I would take a picture, buy my motor isn't in the car right now so if someone else has pics of their engine bay? I'm also pretty sure the equal length shorties would clear fine, but obviously you want to be sure of that before you go and order a pair.

also on a side note are you planning on putting in a new H-pipe? Because I'm not sure if your stock one will mount up with the new headers. I think they're angled a little different than the cast iron manifolds. Can someone confirm this?

Another thing to consider is your shifter linkage, I went to a floor shifter to avoid the headache of messing with it you might want to ask around to see what will need to be done if you want/need to keep it column shift.
1987 Tbird 5.0 swap, go fast mods coming soon....

Reply #5
after market headers will not fit the SO y pipe
stock mustang one will
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #6
With new stock motor mounts, my 1515s did slightly rub the steering shaft(mainly on fairly hard right turns)... Now that they've settled, I don't notice any rubbing at all... As far as equal length, I dunno, ain't messin' with those bundle of snakes...

Reply #7
I bought and tried a set of hedman shorties on the 84, nothing but problems. Hit on the steering shaft,close but not hitting the shift linkage. The passengers side is the real problem. There too long and the collector not angled right.There to tight to the fire wall. The floor was so hot it would burn your hand.I took pics but i cant get them too post on  this site. i tried talking to hedman to see if their jigs were out of line or maybe the wrong header got sent.they wernt interested in talking to me. The hedman is junk. I bought them a while ago  and summit will not take them back either.......oh well im stuck with them.

I not interested in equal length,but think i will try the bbk 1515 or ford motor sport m-9430-p50.
what do you think.
Still like to see pics?

Reply #8
Quote from: JrP;225131
I bought and tried a set of hedman shorties on the 84, nothing but problems. Hit on the steering shaft,close but not hitting the shift linkage. The passengers side is the real problem. There too long and the collector not angled right.There to tight to the fire wall. The floor was so hot it would burn your hand.I took pics but i cant get them too post on  this site. i tried talking to hedman to see if their jigs were out of line or maybe the wrong header got sent.they wernt interested in talking to me. The hedman is junk. I bought them a while ago  and summit will not take them back either.......oh well im stuck with them.

I not interested in equal length,but think i will try the bbk 1515 or ford motor sport m-9430-p50.
what do you think.
Still like to see pics?

I am also stuck with a set of Hedmans ,that I cant use.I ended up buying the BBK's also and they fit real nice,no problems at all with them.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily:
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Reply #9
I  had a h pipe made at a local shop. It ends just  ahead of the transmision pan. So what ever i get for headers i will just have to get the shop to make new pipes from the header to the h pipe.

I just need headers that will fit and cause no problems.

Thx for any and all info.

Reply #10
hey sorry to cut in on this one but does anyone have full length headers? if so how's the clearance and all that jazz??
:burnout:  GET SOME!!!!!  :burnout:

Reply #11
I'm using BBK shorties,and have no problems with them.They fit great,and have been flawless,.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #12
don't buy the full length headmans...they don't fit...however, if you want to try I can sell you a pair!

just wondering, the BBK1515, what does the chrome finish look like after use?

Reply #13
Mine has blued a little,but still looks great after over a year.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #14
will the shorties play with low end torque? i love my torque, how close were those full length to fitting?
:burnout:  GET SOME!!!!!  :burnout: