Skip to main content
Topic: Another "project evolution" (Read 3369 times) previous topic - next topic

Another "project evolution"

Reply #15
Sorry about long-time silence in this thread.
I must confess, that nothing notable wasnt happened. Shame on me :)
The project is on standby.
I changed my "conception" about bending and processing of sheet metal.
However I decided to build a classic english wheel and use it also for sheet bending.

It have rubber and steel upper wheels.

Same system for bending, like with hydraulic press.

Also I bought some books and dvd for learning.

Now I training how to process sheet metal and same time I continue to making lower rolls with different profile for my english wheel.
In winter I cant work with my project often, because my garage have some weak heating only in one room. Another room is cold and there my car stands.
At least in spring I will continue working with my project more faster.

Cougar 86 3,8ltr TBI

Reply #16
Hey! I was thinking about your car the other day! Great to hear from you again. :D

You MADE an english wheel. Wow. Not bad at all, definitely should be useful haha. Wish I had the patience to undertake an art like this...
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #17
Nice job on the wheels, That should help you out in a bunch of different ways.

I think I have that "Classic Car Bodywork" book. Or one very similar to it. Bought it when I was 16 or 17.

Good luck on the metal bending. I'm sure there's a lot of prefab work you can do for your car in the heated room.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #18
Hello :)
Long time have been quiet here.
The "evolution" of the project has been very very slow. I still in "Stone Age" but daminc is very close to nowadays 
During winter, in the heated room, I strengthen my English wheel frame but mostly there was a lot of work with lathe and here is the result:

my "Army of rollers" :)
(rollers are hardened)

Some tests

Also I made little sheet bending device and device for pressing grooves to the floor panels with my hydraulic press.

Here is my first repair test. Curves formed by English wheel.

Now, in summertime I hope accelerate "evolution" and make updates here more often.

Cougar 86 3,8ltr TBI

Reply #19
Wow! You are a VERY talented fellow! I look forward to seeing what more you get done on your car! Keep up the wonderful work!

Reply #20
very nice work,keep the pics coming..................this stuff is insane.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily:
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Reply #21
Great work!  I just found my old English wheel blueprints, and may start on building one myself.  Hopefully by year's end.
1987 TC

Reply #22
That's incredible. I'd like to have an english wheel, but I'd like to know how to use one even more...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #23
I can see a lot of money coming from your skills and that wheel.

Amazing work. Cant wait to see more.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #24
That is so cool that you made all that to put your car together. I think you're now the master panel maker of the group, and I can't wait to see this years progress. You get the official bow down smilie my friend.
 :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #25
I think what you two have done, and are doing with your cars is incredible...I'm not all too much envious of people...but the skills you both have makes me want to be able to do that as well.

On a somewhat different note, have either of you thought of making replacement panels to sell?
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #26
Thank you all very much ,for good words, your moral support and encourage me to continue :) :)
I myself wish, that I have skills to use my E-wheel correctly.
Making panels for sell.... oh no, loooong way to go. Not so much quality
All restoring progress is slow, I take this like a learning experience and I try to make the repairs invisible as possible.
This time I also tried to use flexible shape patterns for making correct pieces.
As you see, not much success. Pieces are not perfect but at least more or less acceptable.

this piece is waiting about to make fuel tank supports

fuel tank support are totally rusted and I even don´t know how originally are fixed to tank supports those metal stripes, which are under the tank :(

as compared to other pieces, this was easy to make

My welding gas was ended and I used flux core wire for temporary tack weld.

I have also some questions.
I can´t remember, which part was fixed to bracket nr1 on picture? I cut it out. Must I restore it ?
If I remember correctly, then bracket nr2 is for fixing the spare wheel?

Cougar 86 3,8ltr TBI

Reply #27
my full size spare is attached to #1 with a threaded rod with a hook at the base.
I don't have the other bracket in my trunk. It might be for the jack.

Sorry, I forgot to measure the brackets.
I'll go out there now and get the measurements. Don't go anywhere

Your doing a great job with those panels
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #28
keep it up. These cars are worth saving.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #29
here are the tank supports. I traced them on paper
I can send them in actual size if you send my your email address
I believe the bottom of the pass side is about 7 1/2" wide
They're both the same shape and size, but the  pass bracket is extended to the very top of the trunk pan and is welded to the side of the frame. I couldn't weld the bracket to the side, so I modded it to weld to the bottom of the frame instead.
I also drilled out the corners with a 1/4" bit to let any water out.
I still need to put a bolt on them to fasten the tank straps. I may just drill a hole and weld a nut to the bottom of the bracket .

If you want specific sizes or pictures, let me know.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook