Skip to main content
Topic: Another "project evolution" (Read 3372 times) previous topic - next topic

Another "project evolution"

Hey to everybody !
I started this thread beside daminc-s project because sometimes I need Your advice or help and same time to show You what I have done :)
My overview is not so thorough as daminc-s, but at least something :)
At first I am sorry if my english grammar is not correct. It is not my native language and frequently I use dictionary.
Here is my project Cougar LS 1986 V6 3,8ltr.
I started it already a year ago. Project progress is very slow, because I dont have much time for it. My working schedule enables working with my project only two weeks in month. During those duty free  weeks also the family and other thousands things demainds time also.
In last summer I started disassemble of car, then I built car body rotisserie and then new room for car and oops!!, summer was ended :(
My garage dont have heating and in winter I did inside room works. I rebuilded engine and transmission.

In this spring.

During disassembling I understood that car needs much more body work then I hoped :mad:
Some samples:

Floor (seems on pictures better then in reallity)

Fuel tank supporting

Driver side rocker panel

Wheel well openings

Lower parts of rear fenders. Both sides.

Air suction of heater-conditioner blower

Rear subframes

And hundreds little places more :) :(

So, for using body rotisserie, I must at first repair boby framework.
Here I repaired part of left rear subframe.
To get better access I removed rear panel.

Some pictures about repairing.

After removing all floor isolation (pitch?) mats, I found a lot of work is waiting me :mad: 
Left side trunk and subframe

Same story on right side plus trunk bottom.

Floor under rear passengers.

Now the body is almost empty. Glasses, steering and so on are removed, except front and rear suspension components and crossmembers, brake calipers, lines and hoses.
For example about progress slow. I expend 3 hours to remove 2 (from 4) rear seatbelts fixing bolts.
One week I wet every day the bolts and trying lose them. Nothing. Then heating and beating, heating and beating again and again.
Result here:

Now my questions starts :)
About rear left subframe. Inside are two connections (another is hidden on pic) between subframe walls, it also going on bottom of frame and it has two nuts connected to nowhere. It is like double frame inside.
For what is it ?? At first I thought that it is for strengthing frame. But this "inside frame" was welded to "main frame" only with some buttweldings and was removed rather easely. Must I restore this "inside frame" or not ???

Cougar 86 3,8ltr TBI

Reply #1
looks like it is put there to keep the frame from being crushed when a bolt goes through the frame for something. May have been a future use idea.
If there's no bolt going through it there, and if there never will be a bolt over there, I would be safe to say, not needed

Nice progress and frame repair.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2
I am SO glad we don't have to worry about rust here in Oklahoma.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
Quote from: vinnietbird;225127
I am SO glad we don't have to worry about rust here in Oklahoma.
Yeahh!! Happy people !! :) :)

Now summary what I did so far?
Repairing middle part of left rear frame.
But at first how my car is looking at the moment.
One day, when I cleared my garage, I showed little bit sunshine to my cat :)

For rust removing I use sandblaster and here is my temporary chamber.

Sandbalsted and coated with rust inhibitor (50% dilution of orthophosphoric acid).
Btw, white color shows that I made dilution too strong and it musted be moisted with water again or brushed away. I knew that I will do cutting and welding works and will be brush it away anyway. So I left it like it was.

Making curves and grinding off excessive weldings.

Then piece by piece moved forward

Welded from both sides.

From outside excessive weldings grinded off. Only for good looking. Maybe somebody will be see it :) And for my peace of mind :) Then temporary painted with  zinc spray.

Inside painted with 2K primer.

Later I plan paint inside of frames with 2K paint for painting boats and ships underwater section.

Cougar 86 3,8ltr TBI

Reply #4
WOW
You win, LOL

I believe the "Project Evolution" title should rightfully belong to you. :bowdown:

Did you find thinner wire for your welder?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #5
Goodness! We some dedicated mofookie's on this board... I was thinking the other day that all that work work be crazy to perform... however, I then realized that I love my car a lot, so I'm guessing I would do the same thing if rust started to form.

Reply #6
Quote from: daminc;226497
Did you find thinner wire for your welder?
Yes I found it and big thanks to you for advice :) Before it really was my problem with welding thinner sheet. After some experiments with unnecessary sheets, I found correct welder machine settings for thinner and thicker sheet and those weldings of frames are made with 0,23" wire also :)

Cougar 86 3,8ltr TBI

Reply #7
Amazing work....................that is somthing I would never have the patience for.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily:
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Reply #8
That wire is nice, you can weld as fast as you can pull it, with no burn through.

1/8 inch is a little tough with it because of the wire size, but if you zig-zag the weld, it works ok. just a little slower

I've actually used about 8 lbs of wire on the car already. LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #9
This place never stops amazing me. It seems like all the time we're getting new members with either AMAZING rides.....or rides that the member is making INTO an amazing ride with a ton of work.

It's been beaten to death and we all feel it....but there is something to be said about these cars when this is what they drive their owners to do. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:  :cougarsmily: :birdsmily:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #10
Keep up the good work
I'll be waiting for the next batch of pics.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #11
Quote from: daminc;226576
Keep up the good work
I'll be waiting for the next batch of pics.
More pics will approximately after two weeks.
At present I am on duty on ship :(

Cougar 86 3,8ltr TBI

Reply #12
Hello again :)
Little update.
During my last short vacation days I did with my car nothing, but I did something for it :)
I started build roll workbench for making various grooves into floor sheets with various profile and width and maybe even some bendings on edge of sheet.
My skills working with lathe are poor and I fail with five rolls and just wasted material and time. After all I made one and half set of rolls with one profile and I get opportunity to try whether my idea will work at all.

Idea is simple. I will use bench from my hydraulic press.

For making different grooves with different blendings I will use different rolls in different positions.
With two rolls I make the basic groove into sheet.

and if a sheet will warped or I need grooves with blendings, then I use three rolls.

Now putting a sheet between the rolls and adding little pressure with jack. Then moving sheet by hand forwards and backwards. Again little more pressure with jack and again forwards and backwards. And again and again. It will take a lot of time. Of course if you are strong, you may do it with only one pressure adding :) My bench is not also fixed to floor.
Also be very carefully with edges of sheets!! They are nastily sharp. I broke two pairs of gloves and my hands also.

Beginning process:

Ending process:

After firsts experiments I may say that the idea works and results are here.

The profile is not exactly same as original but at least acceptable.

Btw, using bolts and nuts on rollers shafts is temporary. There will be  shafts from correct material. Also this rusted sheet I found only for experimentations.
Building and experimentation will be continued :)

Cougar 86 3,8ltr TBI

Reply #13
Wow, very impressive indeed. You are very creative and more patient than me :hick:

Looking forward to future updates...
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #14
Nice job,
You may be able to attach a variable speed motor to one of the roller shafts.
It would take a lot of work, out of the work, so to speak.

A hand crank would also work, but I don't think you have the room for that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook