Skip to main content
Topic: 1988 XR7 in KS (Read 1226 times) previous topic - next topic

1988 XR7 in KS

I have been the owner of this car since 2002 and wish it didn't come down to this.  The car is for sale as is, if no suitable offers come within 5-7 days I will begin entertaining offers to part out the car.  I have been offered $250 - 300 by the local salvage yards, i would rather sell it to an individual if possible.  I will also accept offers for car stereo equipment (nothing shady, I used to install professionally), Jeep Cherokee parts, or just ask.  The car is currently in El Dorado but should be brought to Andover sometime this week.

Up for grabs: (I will have pictures posted within 24-48hrs)

1988 Mercury Cougar XR7
200,500 mi
Strong 302
BAD TRANSMISSION

Exterior:
  Driver's fender, hood, header pannel are RED, the rest of the car is factory BLACK with gray factory striping and SILVER turbine rims.  All lights are good shape and working.

Interior:
  Gray velour.  All seats are in great shape with no tears, power driver's side, dash is cracked, armrest on center console is  severely worn, carpet is stained but is cleanable, no rear deck carpet (destroyed while removed from car)

Engine - Stock 302 with the following modifications:
  60mm throttle body and upper intake from a '91 GT
  Stock GT Headers & H-Pipe (cats gutted)
  Dynomax SuperTurbo lers

Problems:
  As stated previously the transmission has went out and is NOT DRIVEABLE, the car will not catch 1st gear although reverse works.  The vehicle was wrecked 3 years ago, hence the red front body work, I am not a body guy by any means and so the parts were hung quickly to allow it to be driven daily again, hood latch is not aligned properly.

Misc Info:
  I have been honest and upfront with all information regarding the car, its has been a joy to have and has much sentimental value to me but I no longer have the means and connections to replace a transmission.  I will try to answer all questions as quickly as possible, however I work overnights and sleep during the day so please be patient.  Pictures will be posted within the next 24-48hrs.  Please PM me with any questions and/or offers.

Thanks,
Brandon
Black 1988 XR7 - HO Upper, TB, and Headers.  Dynomax Exhaust.  Looks like  from a bad hit, but its my baby!

1988 XR7 in KS

Reply #1
what are you looking to get out of it cash wise??
:burnout:  GET SOME!!!!!  :burnout:

1988 XR7 in KS

Reply #2
how much for the wheels and tires?

1988 XR7 in KS

Reply #3
Sorry for the delay, been working overtime.

--Black88LS--
$200obo for the wheels & tires.  The backs are 235 fronts are 225 width, all have good tread remaining.  I'll make a part out / sell car decision after I get a chance to speak with 84cougarV8, I'll let you know what happens.

--84cougarV8--
So far you're the only one interested in buying the car as is, I just don't want it goin to the yard if someone else can use it.  Make me an offer better than what the salvage yards are saying ($250+).

My camera ped out on me but i'm able to send a cell phone pic to either of you.  If you want that just PM me with the number and what you want a pic of...sorry.
Black 1988 XR7 - HO Upper, TB, and Headers.  Dynomax Exhaust.  Looks like  from a bad hit, but its my baby!

1988 XR7 in KS

Reply #4
Pics?
1986 Cougar LS

1988 XR7 in KS

Reply #5
As I said in my reply above, my camera is not working.  I can send cell phone pics to interested persons for now, i'm trying to get another camera or find the cable to my palm to get pics posted.  I know pics are one of the most important things for selling a car and so I appoligize to everyone for the delay.

Brandon

1988 XR7 in KS

Reply #7
I should have pics up tomorrow afternoon, I've got a friend that's loaning me their camera.

1988 XR7 in KS

Reply #8
just let me know about the wheels, they are what i'm looking for.

1988 XR7 in KS

Reply #9
Finally, lost web for a few days...Heres the pics! 
Had to turn the quality down a bit for the pics to fit and it was 6:30am, best I could do.  I need to get rid of it ASAP.
And if anyone knows what the building is in the background, please don't front me out about it!

1988 XR7 in KS

Reply #11
Start talking $$$.  It would be a great project for someone with the tools / resources.  My biggest hurdle was a divorce in the family and that now former family member builds race cars, so I've always had access to any tool imaginable but not anymore. 

88Turbo: I've PM'd you my cell phone number.  If you're serious give me a call anytime after 3pm.

1988 XR7 in KS

Reply #12
LAST CHANCE!!! GOES TO THE JUNKYARD ON SATURDAY!!! 

$250 Cash.  I would be willing to negotiate a 1/2 and 1/2 payment with written contract to keep it out of the junk yard!

1988 XR7 in KS

Reply #14
Believe me, i really dont want to...if i had the ability to fix it i would consider slaping a salvage tranny and some other parts on a credit card and sell the cherokee.  But it needs to go.