Skip to main content
Topic: 86 cougar vert on ebay #41 (Read 1125 times) previous topic - next topic

86 cougar vert on ebay #41

wow she looks like a nice one  and now we can acount for #41                                                                                        http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercury-Cougar-RARE-1986-Mercury-Cougar-CONVERTIBLE-44K_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6339QQihZ003QQitemZ130232804601QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #1
Go get that BEARMAX, You had said before that your mom wanted a c-vert after she saw yours right. Nice Cougar :cool: :headbang:

Reply #2
oh man! i wish i had a small fortune for that car! Id take it in a heartbeat.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #3
One of a kind huh?? Seems to me I've seen at least one other '86 vert somewhere... can't remember where... but I'm sure I've seen one. ;) lol

ARGGGG to have $7000 right now!!!:punchballs:
:cougarsmily:~Karen~

Reply #4
IMHO the price may be a little high for a V6 car. In fact it's approaching what I paid for a V8 car over a decade ago! But considering that it's one of the lowest-mileage '86 convertibles I've seen--and the fact that it's in really nice shape with most everything being in order--it will make a very nice cruiser for someone with just a little cosmetic work needed.

It looks to be Light Taupe Metallic (5E) with the Taupe interior. I've not seen that combination on a convertible before. I'm really, really starting to get into the Taupe interior color lately since it's so rare (1986-87 only) and it lends itself nicely to a droptop. The paint seems to be original, as the Car Craft badge on the trunklid looks unmolested. The tan top kind of looks odd on Taupe...black probably would have been kinder.

I'm also not liking the screwed-on V6 badge on the trunklid. Ugh.
:yuck:

Reply #5
what's with the hood ornament?  it looks like it has another ornament in front of the cougar badge on the grill.... hmmm is it a jaguar????

OOOH!!!  I'm a Eco Hypermiler :burnout: Not bad for 79mph on the interstate 2hours a day

Reply #6
It's still not as HOTT as the other one I've seen. LOL
I don't like the hood ornament or the grill on it, and I agree, the top needs to be a different color.... but, with a little work, it would be a beauty.... I'd still take it!
:cougarsmily:~Karen~

Reply #7
So I'm guessing these things couldn't have a power passenger seat as the control is used for the top/rear windows?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #8
looks good but i am not sure i could live with a V6 so i would have to mess that car up under the hood but it sure looks nice.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Reply #9
Quote from: thunderjet302
So I'm guessing these things couldn't have a power passenger seat as the control is used for the top/rear windows?

For most of them, probably not. I have heard that on a few XR7's, Car Craft put the top switch in the blank power antenna spot on the dash, which would allow the power passenger seat to be present. I've never seen photographic evidence of that, however. The XR7 convertible of which I have photos shows the switch on the console, same spot as everyone else.

The power seat switch had to be modified to work the top. The left/right tracer for the joystick has to be removed in order for the top motor to engage; otherwise there's feedback. I guess that was Car Craft's improptu solution...you have to remember that the cars got sent to them, and they never knew what they'd receive (consolette or console, power antenna or fixed, etc.). They had to do what they had to do.

Reply #10
I can't see paying $6,500 for it. I mean if it was a V8 maybe. But at 44k miles, its probably going to need a head gasket soon. And we all know the v6 won't get out of thier own way.

John

Reply #11
i have been dreaming of owning one of them for 9 years.  i would pay that much for one.  storage space is the only thing holding me back

Alan
Current: 2004 Chevy Monte Carlo LS (Aug 04 - current)
Previous: 1993 Thunderbird LX (Jan 04 - Aug 04)
Before that: 1986 Cougar GS (Nov 85-Nov 2002)
i am looking for another cougar/tbird, any leads on long island, let me know

Reply #12
Quote from: gopedxr7;224883
i have been dreaming of owning one of them for 9 years. i would pay that much for one. storage space is the only thing holding me back

Alan

Where there's a will, there's a way. If you want it, and you could get it, don't let anything hold you back. There isn't many of them, and as time passes who knows if any are getting wrecked, you might not get another chance. I'm sure there's storage places in your area. If you can pay that much for the vert, surely you can spare a few more per month to have it stored.

Reply #13
Quote from: jpc647;224850
I can't see paying $6,500 for it. I mean if it was a V8 maybe. But at 44k miles, its probably going to need a head gasket soon. And we all know the v6 won't get out of thier own way.

John

The V6 sucks, true, but speed isn't the point of that car, cruising in top-down style is. I'm sure Eric can tell you how much fun it is to have lots of power in a car with the structural rigidity of a jellyfish...

If I had that car the extent of the mods I'd do would be wheels (something stock Ford, like ten holes, snowflakes, ponies or turbines), stereo, and an SEFI upgrade to the V6. Maybe, just maybe, a split-port swap. At the absolute far end of the realm of possibility would be a stock 87-88 TC drivetrain. Whatever I did, it'd look as factory as possible...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #14
Looks to be a GS.

Wonder how many were made with vent windows and how many were made without?  Guess it didn't make a difference as far as needing them for the conversion because this one doesn't have them.
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]