Skip to main content
Topic: 2.3 to 5.0 swap (Read 2124 times) previous topic - next topic

2.3 to 5.0 swap

Yeah yeah I know what you all will say "The 85 XR7 is rare don't do it!" But I just can't go rolling around with an unreliable four cyl. this thing could go to someone who would put it to good use but its not me. I did however have a few questions. I have an 86 Cougar LS that I am taking the 5.0 out of but I have read that it has 150hp, which leads me to my question does anyone know what heads they put on the 86 5.0? I figure the heads and the cam have a big hand into the 4 banger-like horsepower that and a restrictive intake. Anything you can give I'll take.

Brett

2.3 to 5.0 swap

Reply #1
Quote from: 86XR7project;223312
my question does anyone know what heads they put on the 86 5.0?

Yup...E6's.
E meaning 1980-whatever year (in this case, 1986, thusly "E6")

Slap on a set of of ported E7's ('87 and up truck, Mustang 5.0..NOT 1987 or '88 Tbird/Cougar tho, they still used the E6 heads) or even a set of aftermarket heads, a good HCI combo, and some decent headers/exhaust, and you're all set.

Depends on what kind of power you wanna make, what you want to spend, and if you want to stay with efi or go carbed.

Basically the same for either style of fuel delivery, just efi will cost a little more...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

2.3 to 5.0 swap

Reply #2
If ya wanna do it, don't bother with the 86 engine,get yourself an 87+ HO out of a stang, it'll cost ya about the same as doing all the parts swapover.

2.3 to 5.0 swap

Reply #3
Quote from: dominator;223363
If ya wanna do it, don't bother with the 86 engine,get yourself an 87+ HO out of a stang, it'll cost ya about the same as doing all the parts swapover.

X2... But don't forget, that requires a HO EEC...

The '86 motor can be converted without swapping heads, you'd essentially have a '86 HO engine that was rated at 200HP... Poke around in Cool Cats to get a idea on what needs to be swapped to make some HP...

http://www.coolcats.net/tech/advanced/

2.3 to 5.0 swap

Reply #4
Well as I said I HAVE an 86 LS Cougar for parts so.......No HO motor but I think I can get parts out of an old LX 5.0 so im not to concerned. It will be carbed but can I still utilize the electornic fuel pump still or...... ??? I've been wondering this for some time now.

Brett

2.3 to 5.0 swap

Reply #5
maybe the lack of an answer means no I can't use the fuel pump?

2.3 to 5.0 swap

Reply #6
Quote from: 86XR7project;224097
maybe the lack of an answer means no I can't use the fuel pump?

For a carb, you can with a special regulator that reduces fuel pressure to 5-7psi...

2.3 to 5.0 swap

Reply #7
AWESOME! Thanks buddy thats all I needed to know.