Skip to main content
Topic: how much?!??! (Read 850 times) previous topic - next topic

how much?!??!

does anybody know how much boost (from twin turbo's) and horsepower a stock HO can handle?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

how much?!??!

Reply #1
Stock HO?  Like 6 - 8 psi maybe?

how much?!??!

Reply #2
Hp range is between 5-600 before you split the block.
Running 14psi and in the neighbourhood of 500+ with my Vortech SQ trim and she stays together.

how much?!??!

Reply #3
do you have a stock HO dominator?
i just want to say that your car is savage dominator
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

how much?!??!

Reply #4
Quote from: dominator;223279

Running 14psi and in the neighbourhood of 500+ with my Vortech SQ trim and she stays together.

For now anyways.

Have you had a dyno tune done, or just a wideband and tuner on the road deal?
It's Gumby's fault.

how much?!??!

Reply #5
Thanks, she goes like a bat outta hell.
It's a 100% ford stock bottom end
(stock pistons,bearings,rods,crank and block)has heads cam intake combo.

Haven't had it dyno tuned or even dyno'd yet but with the parts i have and running 14psi i know she's in the 500hp neighbourhood.
For tuning i do it myself with my inovate wideband and anderson pms.
They compliment each other quite nicely letting me adjust both my timing and fuel tables at the touch of a button on the fly.
Allows me to see my a/f at all times, idle and wot most importantly to make sure she's a smooth idler and a fat runner.
At 14psi she runs a safe and fat 11.2-11.6 a/f, i could lean it out to around 12-12.5 to 1 but i prefer keep it safe.
I think my having an AOD (no missed shifts) and a fairly good tune (no detination) has allowed the engine to stay together for the last 2.5yrs.

how much?!??!

Reply #6
you runnin a bypass valve of any sort?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

how much?!??!

Reply #7
High RPM kills the block... Keep it under 6000rpm and a stock block will live at 500hp...

I know a guy who split a Ford racing block in his NA SCCA vintage racer Stang... Of course he was regularly spinning it 7800+... Bought one of the first Boss blocks, so far it's staying together...