Skip to main content
Topic: keyless keypad entry (Read 1278 times) previous topic - next topic

keyless keypad entry

does anybody know how to reset the codes in the keypad entry thing. i bought my car and it has it but i dont know the code and i have heard that it can be reset but i dont know how. any information would be appreciated.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

keyless keypad entry

Reply #1
I think there is some keyless info in my diy link  below but just use the search bar up top and its in there.

keyless keypad entry

Reply #2
Check the inside frame rail in the trunk for #. Or way up under the rear deck the module will have a sticker on the side that also has the #

keyless keypad entry

Reply #3
Yep, it should be on the car as described.

If not, I'll just call my little nephew - he'll just keep pressing different combinations until the door opens :hick:
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

keyless keypad entry

Reply #4
This is a shot in the dark, but you may be able to get the code from your local Ford dealer by using the VIN. The problem is to change the code, you need the original code.

keyless keypad entry

Reply #5
Quote from: BlackCardinal;222896
This is a shot in the dark, but you may be able to get the code from your local Ford dealer by using the VIN. The problem is to change the code, you need the original code.
Not on something as old as our stuff... There was no record of door codes, unless the selling dealer made one and the chance of said dealer having code now(if they exist) is zero and none...

Should be a sticker on either the passenger side trunk hinge or on the control module itself... On the 88's it's on the left drop down panel behind the back seat... Access is gained through trunk and removing a retaining screw... Original code cannot be changed(unless your into changing some soldered jumpers inside the module), only a second one added... If you use a aux code, be sure to record original as if the battery goes dead it looses the additional code...

keyless keypad entry

Reply #6
I have two keyless boxes and both have the number painted on them in yellow paint. There's also a way to discover the code with a special sequence of about 3,000 numbers. Someone somewhere on the Internet figured out a sequence that runs through all possible combinations using about 3,000 numbers. The idea is to go through them, listening CLOSELY for the tiny relay trip sound in the keyless box that tells you that you've found it. But you're really better off looking behind your rear seat for the keyless box (you can't miss it, it's huge, with two roughly 24-pin connectors on it). My car didn't come with keyless, I installed the entire system by myself, and simply reading the boxes was how I got my code. If I ever have to switch to my spare box, the code will of course change. Two reasons why I put my pad at the rear taillight are because I didn't have the guts to cut my door and because I knew of the 3,000-number sequence to open any car up. There's a thread on the forums somewhere of my install.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

keyless keypad entry

Reply #7
Quote from: Quietleaf;222959
I have two keyless boxes and both have the number painted on them in yellow paint. There's also a way to discover the code with a special sequence of about 3,000 numbers.

Yellow paint = Junk Yard marking... All I've seen have a small gummed label(which can fall off)...

Three Thousand numbers!!! :flip: No thank you!!!

I'll open it up and read the jumpers(assuming I have the module in my hand)......

keyless keypad entry

Reply #8
http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1520430

A little at a time, you could figure it out. Scary stuff nonetheless. You would have to listen for the relay trip since the doors won't unlock until you press the 4/3 button, but it's audible with the trunk open. Remember that there is a timeout so you can't have long delays between keying in and reading the next batch, so having someone read them to you might work best.

Now a REALLY cool idea (since it's your car) would be to disconnect the plug from the pad, connect the pins, say, to a laptop's parallel port, and write a program to cycle through the combinations automatically. There could be an issue with the car wanting 12V and the pins only outputting 5V, which would require more thought and/or a transistor for each pin, but it sounds possible. Hmmm, and I already have code for parallel port bit twiddling...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar

keyless keypad entry

Reply #9
I need to read my owners manual, but I'm thinking the newer ones have a "time out period" if someone is just continually pressing wrong codes... I'm sure the '88 module has no such feature...

keyless keypad entry

Reply #10
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2006/09/opening_keyless.html

At the bottom of the comments someone pointed out that Fords lock out after about 40 incorrect keypresses. I also wonder though if a 1988 module would do this.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar

keyless keypad entry

Reply #11
Quote from: Quietleaf;222978
I also wonder though if a 1988 module would do this.

Reread my last post...

keyless keypad entry

Reply #12
Nope, my '87 doesn't have a time-out and neither does my dads 2001 Mercury Marquis - that's the one my itchy fingered nephew kept pressing the keys on until the door unlocked :hick:
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.