Skip to main content
Topic: What R U doing during these record gas prices? (Read 6756 times) previous topic - next topic

What R U doing during these record gas prices?

Reply #45
Quote from: daminc;223198
nobody ever does that to a full size van. :mad:
Get yourself one of those Dodge (Mercedes) Sprinters :hick: It's not electric or hybrid, but with its 5-cylinder turbodiesel it's way more efficient than the Econoline or Savanna. It was developed for Europe, where fuel is about double what it is in the USA.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #46
I've been looking at those. You can stand up in them too.
I just hate Dodge though. I may have to give in.
I'll have to put a mercedes front on it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #47
Quote from: daminc;223288
I've been looking at those. You can stand up in them too.
I just hate Dodge though. I may have to give in.
I'll have to put a mercedes front on it.
  ON the FTE truck site I am on, one guy put a Mercedes turbodiesel in his 54 F100.  He can roast the tires, and still get 25 mpg in city....I'm kinda jealous.

Oh, and he put the MB emblem on the grille, lol.
1987 TC

Reply #48
Get yourself one of those Dodge (Mercedes) Sprinters

AHHHH, the Official Terrorist transport....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #49
I'm driving around an s-series Saturn, similar to Carm's but with a whopping 124hp. I got 38mpg on the usual trip up to Seattle last weekend, using 3.7 gallons of gas. The 30mpg commute is where it's at though - saves me 50% on gas over the T-Bird.

For reference, the T-Bird uses 4.6-4.7 gallons of gas for the same trip above and ~3 gallons for commutes every day.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #50
we have those sprinters @ work.  they get 24 mpg
as for nick and gas prices... i balance between 17mpg in the untuned dohc cat, and about 43mpg on the fz6

Reply #51
Vinny,
  I second that. I just got gas at $4.15 for regular. Who wants to march (I mean march because gas would cost too much) to Washington and remove Mr. Bush from power?

Reply #52
remove bush from power... do you realize all the jokers that are trying to replace him right now wanna put an extra $1.50 tax on every gallon?

Reply #53
remove bush from power... do you realize all the jokers that are trying to replace him right now wanna put an extra $1.50 tax on every gallon?  and they wanna tax the hell out of american oil companies because they make an 8% profit margin... just for reference, the beer companies make an average of 10%

Reply #54
The Prez, has nothing to do with gas prices...

You guys need to study global economics...

Reply #55
Quote from: AtroXR7;223358
remove bush from power... do you realize all the jokers that are trying to replace him right now wanna put an extra $1.50 tax on every gallon?  and they wanna tax the hell out of american oil companies because they make an 8% profit margin... just for reference, the beer companies make an average of 10%

I'm no fan of Bush, but I agree that he isn't to blame for this mess. The world oil crisis is going to spell disaster for just about every inspoogebent leader of every country in the world. The people are looking at them as sitting back and doing nothing while we get raped by arabs. Whether it's true or not is open to debate, but the people will see it that way and show their displeasure at the voting booths...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #56
Wow, typical devolution of a thread! Started out with some funny pictures which I enjoyed, then everyone started keying off of the title and discussing their own mileage issues, now it's devolved into talking about politics & the failed Texas oil man.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #57
The point is, the energy dilemma is not going away. We've lived pretty nicely up until last year, when the prices started going up (insert your blame here), and now they keep going up with really no hint of ever coming back down to previous levels. This is a reality check that's long overdue. It's going to force everyone to make better decisions for the long term--something most people are not used to doing nowadays--according to their driving patterns. For my personal situation, I don't drive much anymore so gas prices don't affect me like they do for others. Sadly, I probably put more pollution in the air from my riding lawnmower once a week, than I do in my weekly commutes in an SUV. :hick: Still, I'm a responsible member of society and will continue to do my part in trying to use less fuel. I still don't like looking at a gas pump, even if it is once every four weeks.

There are some promising developments for future fuels, though. Once company is making fuel from trash...they put their estimated street pricing at around a dollar a gallon. Think about the implications: we get rid of trash AND make cheap fuel. So far they're only in the experimental phase but hope to get product up and running in the next few years. I'm thinking about buying stock...

Reply #58
Yep, make the right gamble on a future energy technology and you'll have fuel for life!!

There are literally dozens of emerging technology companies vying for a stake in the now lucrative market (gasoline prices have passed the magical threshold where alternatives will be less expensive in high volume.) Funny thing is, the oil companies buy what they think are the most promising and will still be players in the market going forward.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #59
I just really worry what this is going to do to the aftermarket performance industry and hot rods and performance cars in general. :(