Skip to main content
Topic: What R U doing during these record gas prices? (Read 6755 times) previous topic - next topic

What R U doing during these record gas prices?

Reply #30
Im drivig the 99 with the 2.5 and not caring much about prices.

Reply #31
I'm driving the shiznitbox 1.9-liter Saturn in all its 100 horsepower glory. Let me tell you, when the A/C compressor kicks in on a 100-horsepower car you feel it. Still, with its 2200-lb weight and 5-speed it's not too bad. The 40-45 MPG certainly makes it easier to tolerate :hick:
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #32
I fill up the Mountaineer once a month (work close to home). Gas prices really don't affect me much for that vehicle, and considering that I only drive in the city, I'm actually getting better fuel economy with an SUV than any of the previous daily driver Fox cars. Go figure.

But coupled with another car ('84) plus a vehicle that requires premium unleaded (convertible)...yeah, it can suck. I'm just careful to overlap when I fill up, that's all. Not as painful that way.

On the highway...
Mountaineer - 22mpg (with full time AWD, a roof rack, trailer hitch, 136K miles and in need of a tune-up...not frickin' bad!)
'84 Cougar - between 25-40 mpg (V6, 107K, no overdrive)
'86 Cougar - don't know, don't care!

It's all in the way you drive and how you use 'em. I can afford a toy (convertible) so it all works out.

Unfortunately there's no way that I can ride a bike to work, due to a very large hill and no safe way to transport my laptop. Plus I don't trust people in cars. :hick: Never got into motorcycles...like my 4 wheels on the ground, thankyouverymuch. ;)

Reply #33
Gas is $3.99 a gallon for the cheap stuff.  I drive the Jeep GC when the weather is bad @ 15 mpg. 85 miles everyday to and from work.  I drive the Saturn SC2 @32 mpg when the weather is good. (bald tires, py wipers, gets blown around in the wind, etc...)  Lucky for me, the weather has been py everyday this year so far.  Today we have a windchill of 30F.  It has rained everyday this month, that's 11 days straight.  My yard is a river, and the grass is nearly 15" tall.  Our home furnaces are still kicking on.  My buddy's propane tank had to get another 100 gal. @ $2.99 per.  Most all the guys at work who have fuel oil, have paid more each month for heating than their mortgage payment.  And that was this last winter, how do ya think they'll do it this coming winter.  You can't give away a corn burning stove anymore.  It's no wonder every other house along the North S of Lake Superior has a realty sign in the yard.

As for me, I work 10 hours of OT every week to make ends meet these days: gas, food, heating, etc...
1987 TC

Reply #34
This is not aerodynamic. nothing like pushing a box through the air, with an extra ton of weight inside. the floor liner alone weighs about 120 lbs.
I'm about ready to quit and get a job at the local hardware store.
I'd probably make out money ahead at the end of the year.

I'm done, I feel better now. LOL

edit: Gas is $4.21 for regular BTW--- 40 gal to fill it
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #35
I take a jar of this stuff with me when ever I head to the gas station (It helps offset the pain of shoving the nozzle up my ass).
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #36
Quote from: nirvanagod;223144
I take a jar of this stuff with me when ever I head to the gas station (It helps offset the pain of shoving the nozzle up my ass).

:rollin: :rollin: :rollin:
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I'd like to get a motorcycle to ride back and forth, but I cherish my life and a bicycle is really out of the question :punchballs:

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #37
Oh man do I feel your pain! Gas in the NE part of Taxifornia gas is $4.55 g cheapest in town. Between my 88 TC and my wifes 04 V6 Mustang were doing ok, have to fill the cars up every 2 weeks due to alot of hills and grades here. This week was roughly $200 for our fillups. The good thing, I work in a machine shop and the lube is cheap! lol

Quote from: nirvanagod;223144

Reply #38
Quote from: HAVI;223128
Gas is $3.99 a gallon for the cheap stuff.  I drive the Jeep GC when the weather is bad @ 15 mpg. 85 miles everyday to and from work.  I drive the Saturn SC2 @32 mpg when the weather is good. (bald tires, py wipers, gets blown around in the wind, etc...)  Lucky for me, the weather has been py everyday this year so far.  Today we have a windchill of 30F.  It has rained everyday this month, that's 11 days straight.  My yard is a river, and the grass is nearly 15" tall.  Our home furnaces are still kicking on.  My buddy's propane tank had to get another 100 gal. @ $2.99 per.  Most all the guys at work who have fuel oil, have paid more each month for heating than their mortgage payment.  And that was this last winter, how do ya think they'll do it this coming winter.  You can't give away a corn burning stove anymore.  It's no wonder every other house along the North S of Lake Superior has a realty sign in the yard.

As for me, I work 10 hours of OT every week to make ends meet these days: gas, food, heating, etc...

That's why wood heat is nice. I bought 10 gallons of furnace oil last October, just enough to make sure there was some there if the wood fire went out overnight, and it's pretty much all still in the tank. I did burn about 8 cords of wood, though, at $150 per cord.

I'm hoping to supplement the wood/oil furnace this year with a simple wood stove. I am betting it would burn half as much wood, and it'd be WAY safer (I just can't be comfortable with a fire burning in the basp00get in a 40-year-old furnace).
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #39
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;223151
That's why wood heat is nice. I bought 10 gallons of furnace oil last October, just enough to make sure there was some there if the wood fire went out overnight, and it's pretty much all still in the tank. I did burn about 8 cords of wood, though, at $150 per cord.

I'm hoping to supplement the wood/oil furnace this year with a simple wood stove. I am betting it would burn half as much wood, and it'd be WAY safer (I just can't be comfortable with a fire burning in the basp00get in a 40-year-old furnace).

I've never been so glad to live in Buffalo before.
Heating was pretty nice this year. I went to Lowes and got 20 bags of insulation to blow in the attic. $100 for the insulation saved me about $100 a month in gas bills. hopefully the fireplace will go in soon. I give away tons of s wood every year.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #40
As an aside to the original topic, I moved from the py old trailer with woodstove into my new place across the driveway this last Nov....in-floor heat with electric boiler.  Ended up being cheaper than buying wood, and then there's the cut, split, stack, etc...
1987 TC

Reply #41
radiant heat is the best for money saving.
but anyway, I want to know why cargo vans aren't made to run on batteries while city driving. did anyone ever notice how many vans there are driving around all day long. I'd buy one first chance I got, if they made one. There's tons of space to put batteries and not use any cargo space.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #42
They do.  Phoenix Motorcars Inc.  They even had a street rod production back when they first started out, but soon moved into the fleet suplly in CA.  http://www.phoenixmotorcars.com/index.php

suckamps EV racing is another
1987 TC

Reply #43
nobody ever does that to a full size van. :mad:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #44
All I can say is as a gearhead, I am bummed that I won't get to enjoy going to the track as much. Strangely enough, our favorite track is closed due to forclosure but hopefully it will open next year.

Looks like the guzzler 460 will come out of the Turbo Coupe and I will build the car to drive 70 miles to the track.

Just as well, as I was getting tired of wearing out my trailer.
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10