Skip to main content
Topic: 4.6 opinions (Read 1469 times) previous topic - next topic

4.6 opinions

for the sake of conversation, who has an overall opinion on the stock performance of a 5.0 against the 4.6?

Im starting to like how it keeps on pulling during high end rpms if i just floor it and let the transmission cycle.  I honestly think there is still a lot of more red line then the transmission allows for.

4.6 opinions

Reply #1
Depends on what year 4.6 and 5.0 that is a very broad question. I think as far as stock goes the 4.6 has been fine tuned very well over the 90's and into the present and for stock performance I would have to go with the 4.6.

Now for cheap power the 5.0 all the way. You can get a nice seasoned block for cheap, it has a huge list of aftermarket support, and it's pretty friendly to bore. The 4.6 is still pretty expensive to upgrade and even to find a decent block.

But once again... as far as stock the 5.0 does not really hold a candle to the 4.6
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
1984 Cougar (RIP) :cougarsmily:
1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed.  (sold)

4.6 opinions

Reply #2
Well the 4.6 is modular as you well know while the 5.0 is your traditional pushrod V-8.  The 5.0 is made for torque while the modular motors are made for some high winding, high RPM usage.  So I guess in stock form it all depends on what you like in addition with your application.  However, I rode in a Mark VIII with a 4.6 and it moved!!!!!!!!!

4.6 opinions

Reply #3
I am staying true to the 5.0 for now though. Love the sound, especially with a nice cam and I love the look.
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
1984 Cougar (RIP) :cougarsmily:
1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed.  (sold)

4.6 opinions

Reply #4
Quote from: Carl;222140
I am staying true to the 5.0 for now though. Love the sound, especially with a nice cam and I love the look.

Well, you just can't beat the sound that comes from a traditional pushrod based motor like the 5.0.  :D

4.6 opinions

Reply #5
Dunno, my friend's (twin cam) Cobra sounds pretty sweet, but isn't the Mod big and heavy compared to the spy little Windsor?

Isn't "stock" performance irrelevant to you?  Won't you be hotrodding whichever one ends up between the strut towers?
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4.6 opinions

Reply #6
Quote from: LJS30;222139
....  However, I rode in a Mark VIII with a 4.6 and it moved!!!!!!!!!

Quote from: t3skidoo;222153
Dunno, my friend's (twin cam) Cobra sounds pretty sweet, but isn't the Mod big and heavy compared to the spy little Windsor?

The Mark was the first application of the DOHC 4.6 - same engine as in the Cobra. It's not really fair to compare it to a SOHC 4.6 or a 302 since they don't breathe at anywhere near the same capacity. The Mark weighs 4000 lbs and the DOHC will definitely move it down the road, I checked on the way in to work this morning. :D ;) The Mark and 96-98 Cobras were aluminum block so I'd guess they don't weigh that much more than an iron block 302 when fully dressed. The are indeed huge from a width standpoint... wider than a 460. The heads are where most of the size comes in though, a shortblock isn't that remarkable.

I'd have to agree that in stock forms the 4.6 SOHC will perform better than a 5.0 if all other factors are the same. If for no other reason than the advancements in the EECs... When you begin to modify them it totally switches around though, the aftermarket has all but ignored the mod motors until just recently and things still aren't cheap.

4.6 opinions

Reply #7
Narrow it down a little when you say 4.6 are you talking 2v, 3v, or 4v?  When you say 5.0 are you talking SO or HO?

I'll leave the 03-04 Cobra motor out of the discussion as it's forced induction....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

4.6 opinions

Reply #8
I'll take a 302 over any mod motor any day...

I could put one in my 'Bird for Drag Radial, but am going to go with a 377..
1988 Turbo Coupe

Coming soon to NMRA Drag Radial... :burnout:

4.6 opinions

Reply #9
HO 302 vs. DOHC 4.6

4.6 opinions

Reply #10
Quote from: JeremyB;222226
HO 302 vs. DOHC 4.6

Stock for stock......Hands down the modular.....

For a builup where 500 RWHP is the goal.....

If N/A the Windsor.  Much more friendly on the wallet and The 4v motors have shown to be hard to get a lot out of since they are designed to breathe somewhat decent in the high end of the revs to begin with.

F/I it's a toss up IMHO.
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

4.6 opinions

Reply #11
I've read some people say the 4.6 is soggy in the lower rpms, does this also apply to the DOCH 4.6? I've seen a dyno plot of a stock 5.0HO and DOCH 4.6 and the 4.6 had more power (and torque) at all rpms

4.6 opinions

Reply #12
Like I said stock for stock I'll take the DOHC Mod over a 5.0 everytime. 

The Mods aren't known for low RPM grunt, but the 4v motors get into their powerband rather quickly.

My brother-in-law had a '95 4.6 2v (non-PI) with an AODE-E in an MN-12.  The car needed more than the 3.27's it had IMHO.  Keep in mind the AOD-E has a steeper 1st and 2nd gear than the AOD too. 

The VVT and IMRC's on the 3v help it immensely.  A nice broad torque curve....The stock 3v heads out flow the Patriot stage II aftermarket heads as well.  The 4v's slightly outflow the 3v's.  4v motors have IMRC as well.

A good grab is an 03-04 Mach 1 motor that was in a manual car.

4.6 opinions

Reply #13
I drove a 4.6 in a 94 tbird, it was a turd. I out ran it multiple times(not even top speed) in my gray 86 cougar all day long. And it was one of the whimpier 5.0's I've had. The h.o. against a 4.6 in a mn-12, I would say 5.0.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

4.6 opinions

Reply #14
Quote from: JeremyB;222226
HO 302 vs. DOHC 4.6

correct,, stock only with no goal of mods.  just stock.