Skip to main content
Topic: 84 cougar issues? (Read 2024 times) previous topic - next topic

84 cougar issues?

In my 84 i have power w/l and the passenger side neither one work?? anyone else ahve this problem?
:burnout:  GET SOME!!!!!  :burnout:

84 cougar issues?

Reply #1
Are you saying power windows?

84 cougar issues?

Reply #2
i think he is saying he has both and neither work.
did you check the obvious first?(fuses, relays)
did you do a search on here yet?
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible
2015 Ford Focus SE 1.0 EcoBoost

84 cougar issues?

Reply #3
The only thing common to both the window and lock is their wires go through the hinge side of the door
They are probably seperate problems.
Can you hear the window motor run?

84 cougar issues?

Reply #4
Yeah the motor will run and nothing happens.... i've had a vandal get in my car and steal my head unit because it doesn't lock.... not sure about the relays but i did check the fuses

84 cougar issues?

Reply #5
if the motor is running and it is not going up or down, it is probably the window track. try to push down the windows with your hands. if they go down then it is the track for sure. i had this on my old 84 thunderbird. the pass side window could be opened by pushing it down with your hands

84 cougar issues?

Reply #6
yeah but why would the lock on the passenger side only not work??? the drivers side works fine!?

84 cougar issues?

Reply #7
when they broke in, they probably used a slim jim to get in,not knowing the lock was broken and probably broke somehting inside wiht the lock. there is a possibility they are not directly related

84 cougar issues?

Reply #8
Quote from: 84cougarV8;221296
yeah but why would the lock on the passenger side only not work??? the drivers side works fine!?

There isn't one fix for both problems. They are seperate problems.

1. the window problem is not electrical. you hear the motor running.
If the window glass has not come loose from the operating hardware as discribed above, then the gear assembly on the window motor needs rebuilding.

2.Either the lock actuator motor is bad or it has disconnected from lock mechanism.

84 cougar issues?

Reply #9
gears in motor
have had it happen to me
door lock actuator is prob bad
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

84 cougar issues?

Reply #10
so first i'll check the track then motor for the window, then check the hardware insie for the locking mech...... i just figured out that my key will not work so not sure about that?

84 cougar issues?

Reply #11
door lock acuator
mine went bad, and i couldnt turn the key in the lock cause it was locked solid
replaced it greased the rods
and it works great!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

84 cougar issues?

Reply #12
sweet! any hints where I could find some??

84 cougar issues?

Reply #13
If you can hear your window motor, then most likely the graphic bumpers in the plastic gears are shot.  Best source I know of is "CarQuest" if you have one in your area.  Carry the gears and bumpers for about $25.00 each.

Re: The door lock, the relay is under the passenger seat.  There are two relays, one for left side and one for right.  First put your ear to the door and see if you can hear the solenoid activate.  If you can, not the relay but a bad solenoid.  Requires a new unit -- about $100 each.

84 cougar issues?

Reply #14
Quote from: dw85745;221636
Re: The door lock, the relay is under the passenger seat.  There are two relays, one for left side and one for right.

One for lock and one for unlock.