Skip to main content
Topic: One of Connie Kalitta's 747's just went down! (Read 2294 times) previous topic - next topic

One of Connie Kalitta's 747's just went down!

Reply #1
So what does Kalitta's cargo jet crashing have to do with racing at the track???

No Michael, I know you didn't orig post this here, I'm asking whoever moved it...

Reply #2
Quote from: P71;220792
Anyways, word is it broke apart before taking off. Weird.

Too much HP... Maybe the nitro load was a bit rich... :D

Straying here...

I've read about the guys who race the P51s, etc using the huge 12 cylinder Rolls Royce engines... Was said they generate enough torque to literally twist the engine mounting rails... One guy said at 3600 rpms he was racing, at 3800 it would kick out a rod for sure, not if, when... Said it wasn't bad if it blew out the right side, but if it went out the left, he would get a face full of hot oil... Sorry, but that's more excitement than I could stand...

EDIT...

Ole Connie is quite a character... Years back, some guy busted to the cargo office demanding someone fly him out of the country(I believe he had a knife)... Connie heard the commotion, went to the office, and volunteered to personally fly him to his destination... Once out of the office, Connie turned on the guy and ed near beat him to a pulp...

Reply #3
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;220860

I've read about the guys who race the P51s, etc using the huge 12 cylinder Rolls Royce engines... Was said they generate enough torque to literally twist the engine mounting rails... One guy said at 3600 rpms he was racing, at 3800 it would kick out a rod for sure, not if, when... Said it wasn't bad if it blew out the right side, but if it went out the left, he would get a face full of hot oil... Sorry, but that's more excitement than I could stand...

Geesh I knew the Merlin was a strong engine but hell :eek:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.