Skip to main content
Topic: driveline vibrations (Read 11102 times) previous topic - next topic

driveline vibrations

Reply #31
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;322591
to the OP: can you swap axles to see if one (or both) may be bent?
Thunderjet302 had a bent axle once....

I am 99% sure that the last guy that worked on the rearend for me checked the axles. Maybe I need to recheck them.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

driveline vibrations

Reply #32
Quote from: 86T-bird;322577
I have aluminium driveshafts in both cars and had them both balanced prior to adjusting the crossmember on the T-Bird (on the Mustang I replaced the drop mounts w/standard height mounts).

Chasing an aluminium draftshaft is a red hearing, the material of the driveshaft is irrelevant.

Isolating each component in a process of elimination is necessary.  With the car on a lift or jack stands, start pulling off or disconnecting one item at a time.  You've replaced lots of parts, it's got to be something simple.  You'll find it and probably wonder how you missed it...

Good luck.

I think that the material of the driveshaft can be important due to its mass when changing to 3.73 gears or higher...at least that's how I understand it.

You've got it right though...it has to be something simple!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

driveline vibrations

Reply #33
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;322591
to the OP: can you swap axles to see if one (or both) may be bent?
Thunderjet302 had a bent axle once....

Yep passenger side. I replaced the axle and the vibration went away.

Quote from: 50tbrd88;322623
I think that the material of the driveshaft can be important due to its mass when changing to 3.73 gears or higher...at least that's how I understand it.

You've it right though...it has to be something simple!

I have a factory driveshaft and 3.73 gears. I have no noticeable vibrations at highway speed (I did have it rebalanced). I have a slight vibration between 73-77 mph on the highway that feels like driving over rumble strips but I know it's the road surface. How do I know? Every other car I've driven over the same stretch of road has the same  vibration at those speeds:hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

driveline vibrations

Reply #34
Quote from: vinnietbird;322585
I've always been taught that the aluminum drive shaft transmits less vibration that the steel one,and by the cast amount of Stang owners (and myself) who have also had great results from using an aluminum piece,I would agree.

With a drive line vibration issue, checking the shaft for balance illiminates it from the diagnostic process.  Aluminium or steel, makes little difference.

If the desire is to replace the shaft w/aluminium as an upgrade & added expense, great.

If the steel one is balanced, replacing it with aluminium won't get rid of the shake, something else is going on.

driveline vibrations

Reply #35
I'm good with that.I still like the aluminum shaft a lot,and,it wasn't much.I spent about,or less,than $140.00.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

driveline vibrations

Reply #36
In regards to the driveshaft...is there anyone near you that has a Bird/Cat? If you could borrow another 'shaft for a few minutes, it may rule out yours being out-of-balance...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

driveline vibrations

Reply #37
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;322717
In regards to the driveshaft...is there anyone near you that has a Bird/Cat? If you could borrow another 'shaft for a few minutes, it may rule out yours being out-of-balance...

In my area seeing a fox t-bird/cougar is like seeing a unicorn these days.  Most of the white trash folks have ragged them out by now.

I guess Mercuryman is the closest to me or maybe Chuck W but I doubt if they would let me "steal" their driveshafts.  Especially since I have never actually met either one of them.

That is a  good idea though.

driveline vibrations

Reply #38
If you were out here I would let you borrow mine. I am sure someone has a stock driveshaft in your area laying around.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

driveline vibrations

Reply #39
Quote from: Haystack;322839
If you were out here I would let you borrow mine. I am sure someone has a stock driveshaft in your area laying around.

I appreciate that!

driveline vibrations

Reply #40
Are you absolutely sure its coming from the rear and its not due to the front end being out of alignment?
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

driveline vibrations

Reply #41
Quote from: sarjxxx;322895
Are you absolutely sure its coming from the rear and its not due to the front end being out of alignment?

Car has had the front end aligned twice since I've had a vibration. The 1st time was when i put the lowering springs in back on 2005, 2nd time was when I installed the Mustang front brakes a year or two ago.

I've gone over the front end and everything seems solid.:dunno:

driveline vibrations

Reply #42
Quote from: sarjxxx;322895

A bad front end alignment won't cause a speed sensitive vibration.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

driveline vibrations

Reply #43
K well i was just wondering cause i have almost exactly the same problem but i know my front wheels are about 2" out of alignment with each other.
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

driveline vibrations

Reply #44
I had a BAD vibration in my '86 (when I had it). When I would let off of the throttle the vibration would show its ugly head. I replaced the u-joints on the driveshaft and it all went away.
If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't f**k with 'em