Skip to main content
Topic: Turbocoup50 ever run eigth mile? (Read 1774 times) previous topic - next topic

Turbocoup50 ever run eigth mile?

I just made my first runs last night and while not bad was less than expected.  I ran a best of 9.44 at 77.4 mph (eighth mile).  I used a 1/8 to1/4 calculator and it gave 14.7 as 1/4 mile time.  I was hoping for a 13.9 or better.  I see turbo coupe 50 is running 13.11 n/a.    I have 88 Tbird sport with a  2000 explorer enguine 80k miles with gt40P's.  It has equivilant of cobra or GT40 intake and 65mm TB.  I have a crower 15511 and crane 1.7's (520 lift with 1.7's).  FRPP 1 5/8 un-equal shorties.  2 1/2 H pipe with 2 cats and Flowmaster cat back.  Im guessing right around 300 horse as thats what ford motorsports claims for a gt40 crate engine.  Im running a ranger trackloc with 3.45 gears and running 255/50-16 bfg T/A's out back and 225/60-16's up front on pony wheels.  Just rebuilt AOD with  red eagle powerpack, kevlar OD, A servo, Transgo shift kit 2300 stall with welded dampner clutch.  My 60 ft times sucked bad 2.6 avg.  I did not seem to be having traction problems.  I power braked it to around 2500-3000 as much as I could hold the car and let off the brake with steady gas and once rolling good hammered it to the floor.  I shifted to 2nd at 5500 and hold 2nd through the end.  Are AOD cars just dogs out of the hole and my real world 1/4 might be a little better than 14.7 ? Or am I just a victom of wishful thinking.  The car feels like it pulls a good bit harder than my  old 87 Gt 5 speed exept that the mustang pulled harder in first gear.  I know TC 50 has trick flow heads and 3.73 gears but I really hoped I would run within a few tenths of his time as the cars are similar.  I did race a 271 HP turbo evo from a 15-20mph roll and walked away big time.  How much does an 88 5.0 bird weigh? I figure maybe a 100-200 more than a fox stang somewhere around 3300 or so.  Any tips on getting to the 13's?  3.73's are in the works soon.  I also am going maf with an a9p and a pro m 75 bullet.

Re: Turbocoup50 ever run eigth mile?

Reply #1
Turbocoup50 ever run eigth mile?

Oh boy.... gonna get to talk some racin'... Woo Hoooo...(I hope to go next weekend  :D )

All I have raced in the last couple of years is 1/8 mi, track is a lot closer and I enjoy it...

Yea that 60ft is SUCKIN' major big time, With your converter and engine mods you should  get at least a 2.0(with traction), I usually get mid/upper 1.9s. Sure sounds like you're spinnin' the hell out of the tires, need to have someone watch the launch and see for sure. You trap speed is somewhat short of 300hp, should get about 80mph. Probably need to do some tuning, maybe tweek the fuel pressure or timing a little.

The 1/8mi on my 13.11 run was 8.42@82.99 (1.90 short time) and best on the 1/8th track has been 8.43@83 something(1.93 short). These were in upper 40* weather, in average conditions it usually goes 8.60 at 81 mph...(approx 13.35@104 1/4mi)

Reply #2
Well with a 2.6sec 60ft you were spinnin pretty bad i'd say,if you caught traction and shaved it down to a 1.9 or so my guess would be 14.0 in the 1/4.
As for weight, for what i've read these cars weigh around 3550 pounds on hte average depending on options.
The explorer engine was rated at about 250hp factory,with your cam and headers i would expect around 275hp not 300hp.
I'm going to be running edelbrock performer aluminum heads,70mm tb,76mm c&l,underdrives,ported cobra lower,stock cobra upper,24lb injectors,1 5/8 shortie headers,full mac 2 1/2" exaust and 1.7 rockers on my stock cam(about .477" lift) and from all the dyno pulls i',ve read with the exact same comb i should have 320hp.
Heads make a huge differance in hp,your gt40p's aren't bad but are not nearly as good as any of the aluminums out there.
If you upgrade your heads as TC50 and i you should see about 300hp with your combo,then if you catch traction you should be running in the mid to low 13s.
Hope this helps.

Reply #4
Thanks guys.  I think I must have been spinning more than I think.  I did not hear it and the back never got squirrly but I may have been doing the one wheel peel with a worn out 7.5 track loc.  I have an explorer rear with 31 spline 3.73 now but have not found a 5.0 8.8housing to transplant yet.  My buddy is upgrading to some vic jr heads and I will probably buy his world products heads.  They are the new style ones I think they flow 200-220 or so which is better than my p's.  I just hate to waste the 300.00 I spent on p headers. Plus I will have to get different rockers.  I guess I could put the p's on my bronco and make the headers fit.  I'll get my maf set up on.  Do some tuning and go back with the 3.73's in there and we'll see if I can muster an 8.9.  I say I will be happy to get in the 8's and 13's but are they ever fast enough?

Reply #5
Quote from: jaybo
I say I will be happy to get in the 8's and 13's but are they ever fast enough?
Yea I figured I'd be happy if mine went 13.7s.... First time out with traction and 2600 converter it went from 14.08 to 13.56... hummm this ain't bad, wonder how much more it has???.

Then with the full 2 1/2" exaust system ran 13.3, with a fresh tuneup and cool temps ran the 13.11.

Present plans incluce a mild 406 stroker, I'm expecting mid 12s...

You need to work on the traction issue B4 modding the engine, more HP will only worsen the problem..  May want to try launching at 2000 rpm, should help that 60ft.

Reply #6
I agree,  Im going to do the maf conversion for drivability and MPG.  I dont expect any more power from it.  Definiately going to get the 8.8 rear in. My 7.5 has a very scary amount of clunk and slop.  I will probably hold off on any other mods untill I get this thing dialed in good.  Later if I mod it more it will be add on I would install a 75-100 shot which brings up this question.  With the stock hyperetic pistons will I be safe with a 100 shot? 75 shot?  From what Ive read the explorer uses the same shortblock (crank, rods, pistons etc(exept cam) as the last of the 5.0 cobra's which had hyperetic pistons and Ive read that they allow tighter clearances but dont take abuse like forged slugs.  Other than that Im done with this engine.  I will be keeping my eyes open for a good 351 shortblock and build a 408 out of it.

Reply #7
Wouldn't use nos with those pistons,maybe a 50shot at most.