Skip to main content
Topic: What's with me and headlight switches? (Read 2529 times) previous topic - next topic

What's with me and headlight switches?

I am losing the second one in about 1.5 yrs.  Last time the mechanism broke completely off inside, leaving the lights stuck on.  Now, if I want all my lights on I have to find a strange sweet spot between parkers and full lights.  I hope I don't have to change these guys every 1.5 yrs!!  LOL  Anyway, just venting...  I gotta go see if I can wire the 02 mustang switch to go with my dash.  Gotta see if I can put that voltage through it.  Any thoughts?
1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
'89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

Reply #1
Maybe switch to a relay? I'm seriously considering isolating my switch from the current with a relay.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

Reply #2
Yeah, I hear ppl do that, but my problems have been mechanical, not heat/voltage related.  I should still wire a relay up as well.

One other strange thing...  ok, so, in 'park' I get no parking lights, in 'head' I get headlamps and fog lamps (still no parkers/tails), if I back off to that sweet spot I can get all or parkers.  But in the OFF position, autolamp has the same issue; no parking lights.  Just can't make sense of this is my head.  Seems like autolamp should be unnaffected because the switch is in off...?
'89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

Reply #3
Looks to me like no parkers in autolamp mode has to be a seperate problem.

Reply #4
Hmm...  seems like a pretty strong coincidence that the switch is funny to where I don't get parking lamps (in park or head) and I also don't get them with autolamp but maybe...  I think I have a switch laying around; I'll try it tomorrow...

Reply #5
Check the headlight fuse. I had the same thing happen, couldn't figure it out for a few weeks. Checked the fuse, and it was bad.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #6
I don't think it would be the fuse because I get all my lights to come on...  just takes some fidgeting with the switch.  Also, I can't find my extra headlight switch now so idk when I'll figure it out.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Reply #7
Does anyone know what that single additional orange wire that goes between the autolamp system and the headlight switch is for?  It seems it supplies power to the autolamp system...?  Trying to figure out where I can run this on the mustang switch.

Reply #8
Dang you softtouch!  Why are you always right!  LOL, jk...  but yeah, it does look like the autolamp is faulty as well (no parkers).  The mustang switch solved the manual light switch issue but I still get no parkers/tails with auto lamp...  bummer!

Reply #9
Do you need a set of auto lamp switches?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #10
The extra orange wire on the headlight switch provides the power to the headlights in autolight mode. The power comes through the circuit breaker that is built into the headlight switch. It doen't come through any of the contacts in the switch.

If the headlights work in autolamp mode, it means the light sensor amplifier is picking autolamp relay #1. Relay #1 turns on the headlights and picks relay #2. Relay #2 turns on the parking lights.

Looks like relay #2 is not doing its' thing.

Reply #11
From jcassity's 87 EVTM

Reply #12
I already went through one set of potentiometers (only had autolamp a few months)!  I'll probably get a few more from the JY next stop just in case I do.  But thanks, Vin, I'll hit you up if I do! 

Softtouch, thanks, I'll check that relay!

Reply #13
LOL, thanks...  but my relays are now just above the fuse panel.  LOL.  Did need anything in the center of the dash because there was no place for the light sensor in the SN dash anyway...

Reply #14
Ok, update.  I got my SN switch wired in and like I said, the problem indeed seems to be related to the autolamp system.  But now, instead of having nothing in the 'park' position and headlights/foglamps with no parkers in the 'head' position, I get:

1.  Light switch on park or head: parkers (once again, if I get the switch in just the right spot between park and head I get all lights)
2.  Autolamp engaged: headlights and foglamps, no parkers

Can anyone think of a reason I'd get opposite lights working when they should depending on whether I go manual or autolamp?  Also, if I want all lights, I can use autolamp + the switch in the 'park' position.