Skip to main content
Topic: Yay! Went faster! New PB! (Read 2813 times) previous topic - next topic

Yay! Went faster! New PB!

Just got in from the races (Friday night T-N-T at PIR). You all should have gone! There were EIGHT cars running! EIGHT!!! (Are you listening Ted? Jim? Matt?)

A 12-second blown Buick GS was there, a Viper, a few Hondas, and that was IT. I made 21 passes (didn't get there until 7, took 45 minutes off to eat, and let the car cool down a bunch). It was just DEAD, but the weather was awesome! REALLY cold (great for the car!) I beat everybody but the Viper and the GS. Some of the Honda's were mid-14 cars but they couldn't cut a light.:mullet:

I set a new PB in the 'Vic (14.854@92.37, 2.161 60').:burnout:  Even better was I cut a .001 light! :evilgrin: (and a -.001...):flame:

I'm all practised for tomorrow's bracket race! Too bad I won't be driving the same car! (Taking the RX-7 tomorrow )

Reply #1
14.8....  man that is moving for a big car....  Nice run.

Reply #2
Good job.  I love big cars that go like hell....
1988 Turbo Coupe

Coming soon to NMRA Drag Radial... :burnout:

Reply #3
It was awesome! I decided at the last second to go racing, so I just hopped ind drove 50 miles to the track. No tools, no tuning stuff, no slicks, just drove it like I drive it everyday (spare tire and a lugwrench are the only tools!)

Got to the track, teched in (took 2 seconds), took out the spare and floormats, and immediately threw down 6 passes in under 15 minutes. Never even shut the car off.

I filled up on the way home. 22.5 MPG WITH the racing :hick:

Reply #4
DO A J-MOD especially since you already have the chip. That will knock a good .25 off and only for about 40.00. Since your car is already an '01, you have the necessary hardware already installed. All you need to do is remove a couple of springs and drill a few holes (in a nutshell).
Duckin' agents like we was trapped in da matrix!

Reply #5
Was the Buick GS one of those incredibly awesome only-comes-in Saturn Yellow or Apollo White GSX 455 Stage 1s? (Somehow I actually hope it was a normal GS that was blown for those numbers since I'd keep a GSX stock if I had one)

Nice time and amazing fuel economy with that many passes. How much other driving was there to average that?
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

Reply #6
It was a Dark Green 2001 V6 one with the 3800 Series II and a serious host of underhood upgrades that looked bone stock.

Also!

Reply #7
A marauder tq converter and flexplate will help drop another .15 off and give you rocket-like launches as well (they are factory 24-2800 stall speed, stock is ~2000, great compliment for the J-MOD) They're also relatively in-expensive (like 175 NEW from the dealer).
Duckin' agents like we was trapped in da matrix!

Reply #8
Quote from: P71;214799
It was a Dark Green 2001 V6 one with the 3800 Series II and a serious host of underhood upgrades that looked bone stock.

Ah.  I forgot about the newer ones.
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

Reply #10
Thats pretty good times for a basically stock panther.  I have often thought on picking up one of these used cop cars for cheap.  My buddies shop works on cop cars and he likes the 03 and newer.  Anywho....congrats.

Travis

P.S.  I have not even been to the track this year, too busy.

Reply #11
Quote from: turbotrav;218204

P.S.  I have not even been to the track this year, too busy.

Me neither, but since the wifes '93 Grand Marquis has a new tranny and she now has a '07, think I'm going to see if I can better her last years time... The new trans has a smaller torque converter and may even have the 2.84 first gear, seems to have far more grunt from a standing start...

Reply #12
Awsome...

I have thought about picking up a 2003+ CV P71 for a while. Neat car to play with.

I'm impressed with the 14.8 with the limited mods. Get that 60ft down a few tic's more and you'll be hittin 14.5s!
1988 Cougar LS 5.0 (currently parting out):cougarsmily:
1989 Mustang LX Notch 2.3 (Project):ford:

Reply #13
Quote from: P71;214755
It was awesome! I decided at the last second to go racing, so I just hopped ind drove 50 miles to the track. No tools, no tuning stuff, no slicks, just drove it like I drive it everyday (spare tire and a lugwrench are the only tools!)

Got to the track, teched in (took 2 seconds), took out the spare and floormats, and immediately threw down 6 passes in under 15 minutes. Never even shut the car off.

I filled up on the way home. 22.5 MPG WITH the racing :hick:

That pretty much sounds like my Tbird.  I just drive it there, let it cool for a few mins, and then run it without changing anything.  Even the gas mileage is the same and the E/Ts are very close as well.  :)  Gotta love it.  Great runs, man.  That car moves  good.