Skip to main content
Topic: Toyota caught with their pants down - Tacoma Rust (Read 3903 times) previous topic - next topic

Toyota caught with their pants down - Tacoma Rust

http://blog.lexus.com/2008/03/living-up-to-ou.html#more

Some of the blog comments really make a lot of sense. What is Mom's Friendly Robot Company (Toyota) going to do for the thousands of people who had to junk/sell their Taco's already?

http://www.showstop.org/images/truck/rust_warranty/vehicle-inspection.pdf

I don't know about you guys, but maybe looking around some used car lots is a good idea right now :hick:

Reply #1
EXACTLY why I will REFUSE to buy a stupid JUNK import as long as I can
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #2
Junk import? Id like to see how you can call Toyota junk, when my fathers MN12 was rusting in 1995, when the car is a 1989. Thats a whole 6 years. They're talking about cars and truck 8-13 years old. Chrysler has had problems with their Neons rusting for years. Ford has always had rust issues when in areas that use salt frequently. So whats the big deal here? At least Toyota is willing to do something about it. Buy a Ford, rust in a few years, sorry, you're SOL. Buy a Chevy and it rust, same deal. Chrysler? Yep, you're screwed.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #3
I just dont think a cheap junk car is worth it. My moms 07 matrix, is cheap, plastic . I mean it takes the abuse I give it, but its so uncomfortable. I just dont like them. Plain and simple. I have driven camrys, tacomas, tundras, matix, corollas, None of which I have liked. Only one that was decent was the tundra, decent powered v8 other then that I dislike the truck.
Im stubborn, stupid, and nieve. I will NEVER buy an import unless its for my significant other, or im forced to.
Other then that, Ill take a rusting out american car.
This is why I am moving from the northeast ASAP.
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #4
Well, I have to own up to the fact I own a Nissan Titan. I have to say it is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Now I have owned over 50 vehicles and most of them were Fords. I do own a chevy too, which I am desperately trying to sell so I can get another Ford.

But my Titan isnt rusting and it consumes alot of gas and it was also built in Canton, Ohio. Quite honestly it feels like an american built vehicle and acts like one too... puppiesanese POS !

If you see what I am saying ?
1985 Thunderbird TC
2.3l .03 over,Ported and polished Head and E6 Manifold, LA3, T3/T4 Hybrid Turbo, Stinger FMIC, Forge BOV, Full 3" Exhaust, Essy Timing Gears & UDP's, BBK 255lph Fuel Pump, Kirban AFPR, Kirban Short Shifter, K&N Cone, Forced4 VC Vent Kit, PA Performance 3g Alternator, Energy Suspension Bushings throughout, CHE LCA's, SFC's [/LEFT]

Reply #5
And I'll say...for the thousandth ed time...define "import"!

It's built here, with parts made outside our borders...people need to learn the name on the box doesn't mean jack-shiznit.

Hell...a lot of Ford and Chevy vehicles can be considered import in that regard. Mexican and Canadian built.
See my point?

Quit bashin' em cause they rust because lazy fvcks can't or won't go to the car wash and cleans the undersides....

ANYTHING will rust if left unattended.
Quite frankly i'm sick and  tired of people always blaming the "puppies" cars for their faults, when I see more and more so-called "domestic" makes wrecked, abused, and junked out than ever before.

It's a machine. You fail to maintain it, and it will fail you.
Simple enough!?
shiznit fire people! :flame::evilgrin:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #6
Fordtruckfreeek,I was being sarcastic, cause I love my Titan and I agree with all that you just said :)
1985 Thunderbird TC
2.3l .03 over,Ported and polished Head and E6 Manifold, LA3, T3/T4 Hybrid Turbo, Stinger FMIC, Forge BOV, Full 3" Exhaust, Essy Timing Gears & UDP's, BBK 255lph Fuel Pump, Kirban AFPR, Kirban Short Shifter, K&N Cone, Forced4 VC Vent Kit, PA Performance 3g Alternator, Energy Suspension Bushings throughout, CHE LCA's, SFC's [/LEFT]

Reply #7
It's built here, with parts made outside our borders...people need to learn the name on the box doesn't mean jack-shiznit.

When the net profit goes overseas and their is no union to make sure the medical benefits of the workers are secure the yes to me it does....

It's a machine. You fail to maintain it, and it will fail you.
Simple enough!?

This I will agree with....

I see more and more so-called "domestic" makes wrecked, abused, and junked out than ever before.

Come to my neck of the woods.  All the hacked up imports are up here.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #8
Quote from: V8Demon;212666
When the net profit goes overseas and their is no union to make sure labour costs are so high they drive the company to build factories in Mexico and China...

Fixed it for ya ;)

Rusting pickup truck frames in salty areas is nothing new, and it's certainly nothing specific to Toyota. Many mid 90's Ford pickup trucks have been junked due to rust - rusty frames, rusty boxes, rusty fenders, rusty cab mounts, rusty rad supports - you name it, it rusts out on a Ford truck. My '95 F-150 4X4 is a basket case right now because of it - the box and both front fenders have completely rotted out. The box isn't even savable, so it'll be replaced with a utility box. The fenders will need replacing. At least one frame cross member is rotted out. I haven't even checked the rad support, but given their reputation and the condition of the rest of the truck I'm not optimistic.

It's not even truck-specific. Like Shawn, I had an MN12 rot away on me. Both rocker panels, both doors, and one quarter panel literally wasted away. My car was a '91, the rust started in '93 (Ford wouldn't fix it under warranty because there were no holes), and by the time the car was 6 years old (out of warranty) it was ready for the s yard.

Like Chris, I owned a Nissan truck ('90 King Cab) and it was the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. This truck lasted me well over 500,000 miles (800,000 km) - I don't know how much over because the odometer quit working at just over 800,000 km, but I drove it for two years broken. When I sold it it had the original tie rods, ball joints, brake drums & rotors, wheel bearings, spark plugs, air filter, coolant, power steering fluid, and brake fluid. NONE of these things were ever replaced over the entire life of the truck. The rotors and drums were certainly worn below spec, but they were still the originals. The only problems that truck ever gave me was a bearing in the tranny that would go bad every 75k miles. I got tired of replacing it and replaced the whole tranny with a $50 used one. Even the clutch lasted 250k miles and when I took it out (to do that bearing - I figured it was a good time to do the clutch) it was only half worn. That truck showed me what reliable was.

Most manufacturers have their dirty little secrets. The difference with Toyota is how they're handling it. As was said by somebody else, if this were Ford or Chevy (or Honda or Nissan or BMW or Bentley, for that matter) you'd be SOL.

But wait, maybe not SOL with everyone. Toyota isn't the first manufacturer to go good on a rotten frame problem. Isuzu  had the frame recall 'd complained about many times, and GM recalled early 90's W-bodies for rotted out subframes.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #9
Meh, I could care less about the how's, why's, are whose-at-faults.

MY point was, Toyota is blindly offering to buy back every single Tacoma from 95-00, regardless of mileage, condition, or what owner you are, for 1.5 times the KBB "Excellent" Retail Value!

Let me spell that out for you. I go out right now and buy a $500 95 Tacoma with 300K miles on it and a rotted frame. Monday morning I bring it the Toyota dealer, they say "yep, we have to buy it from you, here's a loaner car for 30 days". Then I get a check for $7500 (1.5 times the $5000 KBB Excellent Retail Value).

Rinse and repeat.

Reply #11
Quote from: daboss351;212645
EXACTLY why I will REFUSE to buy a stupid JUNK import as long as I can
Excuse me? Are you blind, illiterate or just fekking stupid?

Name me one american car company that would have offered that on ANY of their vehicles. They'd have paid millions to lawyers to find a way out of taking care of you. "Oh gee, that's too bad. I guess you should have used the underspray option at the car wash more often. I'm afraid this looks like a lack of proper maintenance. We can't help you." Or "I'm terribly sorry but our warranty does not extend to third owners. You're on your own, chump."

I have to appaud Toyota, much as I dislike puppies vehicles, for standing behind their products.

Reply #12
Quote from: ThunderChicken
Originally Posted by V8Demon 
When the net profit goes overseas and their is no union to make sure labour costs are so high they drive the company to build factories in Mexico and China...

Fixed it for ya

When you have someone trying to make it so you don't get paid for the sick days you didn't take and trying to make you pay into your medical at a rate of $150/month excluding dependents AFTER they switched to a different provider who's service is for , lemme know;)

This rant was here once before.  I'll just leave it that I'm pro-union. 

MEH.....  The Only 2 things truly native to America anymore are prostitution and beer.  Most people buy Coronas and
Heinekens:hick:

Quote from: P71
Let me spell that out for you. I go out right now and buy a $500 95 Tacoma with 300K miles on it and a rotted frame. Monday morning I bring it the Toyota dealer, they say "yep, we have to buy it from you, here's a loaner car for 30 days". Then I get a check for $7500 (1.5 times the $5000 KBB Excellent Retail Value).

Rinse and repeat.

I doubt they'd let you do it more than once.  I'm sure the one time would be a little difficult as well.  Toyota didn't become as big as it did by giving the store away (That leads back to the union statement.....)
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #13
Quote from: daboss351;212652
I just dont think a cheap junk car is worth it. My moms 07 matrix, is cheap, plastic . I mean it takes the abuse I give it, but its so uncomfortable. I just dont like them. Plain and simple. I have driven camrys, tacomas, tundras, matix, corollas, None of which I have liked. Only one that was decent was the tundra, decent powered v8 other then that I dislike the truck.
Im stubborn, stupid, and nieve. I will NEVER buy an import unless its for my significant other, or im forced to.
Other then that, Ill take a rusting out american car.
This is why I am moving from the northeast ASAP.

Matrix is  because it's so cheap.  They don't put much into it so people with low incomes can afford something with a warranty.

Reply #14
The only Toyota i would ever buy is a Supra any year and any model other than that i don't care how many are rusting.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily: