Skip to main content
Topic: timing!... or vac leak. (Read 1270 times) previous topic - next topic

timing!... or vac leak.

not sure yet if the timing is 180* out or if there is a vac leak.  battery keeps draining on me.  this is frustrating.  i just had to vent.  i'll hopefully have more than 20 minutes to dick with it tomorrow.  i've checked all the vacuum lines that i know of and that i can follow and they all seem straight.  there's no boost leak that i'm aware of.  i've checked the timing on it, but i may have been wrong on that.  i hate this!  i just want to drive my car again.  if it's not the timing, is there anyone local that would be willing to come take a peek?  by the way, this is on an 87 tc.
91 ranger 2.3 turbo - nowhere near stock
87 thunderbird turbocoupe
06 pontiac g6 gt
:birdsmily:

timing!... or vac leak.

Reply #1
im sorry, my brain just cant process the thread title.

usually the two are wayyyyy unrelated as far as symtoms are concerned.

timing!... or vac leak.

Reply #2
well, i've had timing be 180* out before and the motor would run for a few seconds and die.  it'd have a hard time starting up as well.  i've also had boost/vacuum leaks before and they do the same thing.  like when i blow an intercooler pipe off, it'll sputter and die... a lot like it's doing now... i just can't find a leak.  so i think it may be the timing.  i'm not sure.  aaaarrrggh, i'm so  tired and i can't think straight... i know it's something simple, but i can't seem to figure it out at the moment.
06 pontiac g6 gt

timing!... or vac leak.

Reply #3
well, timing is easy to check when you get some rest.

get number 1 piston to tdc via turning the crank(suff a screw driver in the spark plug hole to feel)
take a peek at your harmonic
verifiy the pointer is at zero deg
If not at zero, keep rotating the crank until you have number 1 at tdc again.
now peek at the pointer, "0" should be in sight.

rotate the crank until the pointer is on zero.
remove distributor cap
verify rotor button is pointing to number 1 cyl plug wire post.
if its off a wee bit, ignore it cause you gotta remember, you have it slightly advanced anyway.

so that part is easy.
if its wayy the heck off, time to let us know if the dizzy has been out recently.

if it has not, its possible the dizzy gear jumped a tooth.(my opinion is if this happened, you would have known it).

if it has, let us know some more info.

timing!... or vac leak.

Reply #4
actually i did have the dizzy out... i just replaced the oil pump.  i have the tie down lose still so that i can position the dizzy in the right spot once i pinpoint the timing.  i was pretty sure i reinstalled the distributor correctly though.  what could i have done wrong there?
06 pontiac g6 gt

timing!... or vac leak.

Reply #5
Well, heres how i typically find out if the distributor is off. 
1. Take out #1 spark plug.
2. Remove distributor cap.
3. Place thumb of #1 spark plug hole.
4. Have someone gently bump over the engine with a screwdriver on the solenoid.
5. When your thumb is "puffed" off the plughole you are on the compression stroke for #1.
6. Look at the distributor and see if you are close to what you think is #1 (typically the next to fire).

P.S.  I don't really see how it could run at all 180* out.  It would be trying to fire at the end of an exhaust stroke.  If there was still fuel in the cylinder it would then pop and blow back into the intake as the intake valve opened.

Just my $.02

timing!... or vac leak.

Reply #6
i'm going to mess with it a bit more when i get home after work.  hell, i may even leave early today to go play with it.  i'll let you know what i find.
06 pontiac g6 gt

timing!... or vac leak.

Reply #7
Quote from: danzajax;212161
Well, heres how i typically find out if the distributor is off. 
1. Take out #1 spark plug.
2. Remove distributor cap.
3. Place thumb of #1 spark plug hole.
4. Have someone gently bump over the engine with a screwdriver on the solenoid.
5. When your thumb is "puffed" off the plughole you are on the compression stroke for #1.
6. Look at the distributor and see if you are close to what you think is #1 (typically the next to fire).

P.S.  I don't really see how it could run at all 180* out.  It would be trying to fire at the end of an exhaust stroke.  If there was still fuel in the cylinder it would then pop and blow back into the intake as the intake valve opened.

Just my $.02

x2 ($.04)

timing!... or vac leak.

Reply #8
where are you located i live in liberty mo,i will help if i can, your need add,i work nights though.

timing!... or vac leak.

Reply #9
xjeffs.  I am glad someone else does this.  Once I posted it for someone else (on my other forum) and I got back a buncha "YOUR CRAZY!!"  "ITLL SUCK YOUR THUMB INTO THE ENGINE!!!1!!ONE!!" and the like.  Its always worked well for me.

-dz

timing!... or vac leak.

Reply #10
that's what i thought too about the timing.  i was pretty sure i installed everything correctly and set the timing right, and i did.  just got done double checking it and it's spot on.  the only vacuum leak i've found so far is the crank case breather wasn't hooked up to the compressor housing.

kclerdood... i live in kc right off the grandview triangle on redbridge road.  give me a call when you get a chance... if not to help me figure it out, than just to meet up.

i'll pm you my number.
06 pontiac g6 gt

timing!... or vac leak.

Reply #11
Pull codes....?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Operation: X Marks the Spot
5.0L SEFI, AOD, 8.8" 3.02 TracLok - All Stock