Skip to main content
Topic: water leak..... (Read 1304 times) previous topic - next topic

water leak.....

-it seems as a vehicle sits, the more they want to become a fish tank for some reason.  the money pit sits on a level, concrete slab of driveway next to my house.  last year it began a leak that came into the drivers floor board.  after tearing into everything under the dash, i find that the hood cable grommet is not seated in the hole good, thus letting in water everytime it rained. made for musty smelling carpet. drying out and a cleaning later, its fine. so all is well, right?  about 2 weeks ago, i go to pull out a part i had laying in back seat and i glance at the floor board and it looks wet. put my hand down on the carpet and its soaked. nice little fish pond.  so i check the front, its still dry.  i think maybe i havent shut the door good when it rains and its leaked in.  so i dry it out, and make sure the door is shut good.  it rains a couple of days later, and the floor is soaked again(its drivers rear). so now i look around more. seems the padding up under the back seat is wet.  so i pull out the bottom of the back seat and the recesses on the drivers side is floating in water!!!  so this is more serious.  i pull the carpet back and man does it smell rough.  must have been going on a while, i figure.  i remove the drivers seat, pull the carpet up some more.  its moldy rough.  so i take a blade and cut most of the left side out.  i dry up all the water and let it air a while.  hump reinforcement has rusted pretty well.  so it has rained again since and the water pools up where the seat bottom recess is on the drivers side before it spills over into the floorboard.  before i go tearing every piece of trim/seats/etc, out, does anyone have a clue where it could be coming from???  i figure its gotta be 1/4 glass or rear window.  just wondered if anyone has had it happen before??????  i hate water leaks.  my ranger does it too......
-'87 turbo coupe with only 740 ORIGINAL miles.... :dunce:
-'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......:cool:

water leak.....

Reply #1
Not sure about the TC, but on your Ranger, check the firewall seams over by the blower motor and by the brake booster area. You can feel it, but you cant see a little oval shaped hole that wasnt sealed at the factory(for whatever reason) that appears to let water in. Congrats on sealing the deal for that white 89 shortbed.
[size=0]88 Thunderbird Turbocoupe 2.3T 5spd~78K miles
88 Thunderbird Turbocoupe 2.3T 5spd
[/size]

water leak.....

Reply #2
go get two or three tubes of clear silicone.

neatly cut off the end of the tip and insert the tip into the side and rear window trim and fill.  Smooth it out with your finger.

along the back window, silcone along the top edge of the trim above the trunk.

reach back inside the trunk up to the back seat area and see if its damp in there.

water leak.....

Reply #3
moon roof?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

water leak.....

Reply #4
sit in the car and run a hose on the roof and truly find where the leak is coming from then seal it.
Don't just go siliconing everything.

water leak.....

Reply #5
Is the trunk dry?
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

water leak.....

Reply #6
I noticed, my parts bird leaks around the upper rear window and 1/4 windows. also the body seam on the upper part of the trunk. the wells have an inch of water in them right now.
I would take some trim off inside before you do your water test.
It may also be rusting where it's leaking.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

water leak.....

Reply #7
Quote from: SLEEPER T-BIRD 87;212265
moon roof?

yes, has moon roof, but water gets under back seat, before it gets into floor.  and yeah, ive checked the trunk chuck, dry as a bone.... i figure to start pulling out trim panels this weekend to see if i find any water trails.  just wondered if anyone else has seen these characteristics before.....
-'87 turbo coupe with only 740 ORIGINAL miles.... :dunce:
-'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......:cool:

water leak.....

Reply #8
Quote from: shorangerbird;212352
yes, has moon roof, but water gets under back seat, before it gets into floor.  and yeah, ive checked the trunk chuck, dry as a bone.... i figure to start pulling out trim panels this weekend to see if i find any water trails.  just wondered if anyone else has seen these characteristics before.....

ive seen the drains get backed up and it drip from the headliner in this aprox location.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication