Skip to main content
Topic: 2.3 turbo (Read 2050 times) previous topic - next topic

2.3 turbo

just bought this car.had a cracked head. replaced the head,he installed a ranger roller cam.now it wont run.it starts runs about 5sec then dies.i think its fuel related.what do you think.i get car home friday.any help will be helpfull

2.3 turbo

Reply #1
Did it run before it was taken apart?

What makes you think it's a fuel issue?  Checked fuel pressure?

Could be timing out of whack, could be a vac leak. 

Need more info, which you most likely won't have until the car is in front of you.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

2.3 turbo

Reply #2
yes it ran before head was replaced.yes you are right i wont know intell its in front of me.it could be timeing out.head was cracked in cylinder # 2 also he installed a ranger roller cam witch i dont know if fireing order is same.

2.3 turbo

Reply #3
The cam has nothing to do with it as long as it was set (timed) properly.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

2.3 turbo

Reply #4
starts runs for 5 sec then dies sounds like a TFI  ignition module.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

2.3 turbo

Reply #5
is the hose that goes between the vaf and turbo inlet on correctly and the clamps tight? just a guess
louie  :birdsmily:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]       
My famous last words:
It seemed like a good idea at the time.        88TC R.I.P.      88 Sport build in progress

2.3 turbo

Reply #6
ok have car home,timeing was 180 out fuel pressure key on engine off 40 psi start it it drops to 30psi have not replaced filter yet. has after market boost controll valve,vaf lost.

2.3 turbo

Reply #7
Quote from: kclerman;211483
ok have car home,timeing was 180 out fuel pressure key on engine off 40 psi start it it drops to 30psi have not replaced filter yet. has after market boost controll valve,vaf lost.

Pressure is SUPPOSED to fall to approx 30psi running... Your F/P regulator is working...

Under boost it should be 39-40 psi + one pound for each PSI boost... OR approx 55psi at 15lb boost....

2.3 turbo

Reply #8
can spray brake clean down throttle body and stays running

2.3 turbo

Reply #9
Quote from: kclerman;211483

What do you mean by "vaf lost"?
Long time Turboford freak...
84 SVO
88 TC
87 XR4Ti

2.3 turbo

Reply #10
ok up date got car to run but have to hold vaf door open!also noticed vav line to egr was melted shut. and also vac line on tree marked g was melted.

2.3 turbo

Reply #11
Then your problem is vacuum leaks.  Also you need to work on your typing/proofreading, your posts are hard to understand.
Long time Turboford freak...
84 SVO
88 TC
87 XR4Ti

2.3 turbo

Reply #12
ok,sorry brain works faster than my typing skills.

2.3 turbo

Reply #13
im still thinking its fuel pump,did compression check 160psi per cylinder cold,have ignition,timeing is correct.fixed vacuume leaks.

2.3 turbo

Reply #14
i got it!!!!!!!:shakeass: the guy i got it from turned the vaf backwards dah! i never noticed it untill i went to bolt air box back down and bracket  would not line up with holes.:burnout: