Skip to main content
Topic: 4R70W swap (Read 3590 times) previous topic - next topic

4R70W swap

So after driving my 95 around all winter I've come to like to trans in it much better than my stock AOD in the 88. Both trannies are stock and the 4R70W just seems to respond much better to throttle inputs and in holding gears to higher rpms when warrented (full throttle ect). My AOD isn't dead or dying but if I wanted to do any upgrades (ie higher stall converter, shift kit, A servo, ect) I might as well just rebuild/replace the thing since mine has almost 129,000 miles on it. So I'm thinking that instead of getting a built AOD I'd go with a 4R70W swap instead. I know that there are kits to drop a 4R70W into a 5.0 Mustang (Bauman makes one for example) so I'm thinking about it. I know people are going to say just get a built AOD but it's a pain trying to find someone who knows what they are doing. I've heard horror stories about AODs from well know trans firms (TCI, Lentech, ect) blowing up behind 5.0s at less than their rated capacity. So any input (I know someone is going to say throw in a T5;) )?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

4R70W swap

Reply #1
:shakeass:  Had to the 1st  to say it :evilgrin: 
Put  a T-5 in!! :burnout: Na, seriously though, I've read somewhere in one of the stang rags that someone has an adaptor or something like that to put 4R70W behind a 5.0  Too bad I gave the one behind my 4.6 away :beatyoass:

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

4R70W swap

Reply #2
you could use a 94-95 v8 mustang computer and harness. still eec iv but it will run the electronic trans. also 5.0 and 4.6 have different bell housing bolt patterns
louie  :birdsmily:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]       
My famous last words:
It seemed like a good idea at the time.        88TC R.I.P.      88 Sport build in progress

4R70W swap

Reply #3
you can swap most of the 4r70's guts into your aod case. you can also purchase a manual valve body from PA, so you dont have to run a controller.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

4R70W swap

Reply #4
Quote from: dudeman351;209891
you could use a 94-95 v8 mustang computer and harness. still eec iv but it will run the electronic trans. also 5.0 and 4.6 have different bell housing bolt patterns

Yes but that computer is designed to control an AODE not a 4R70W.
One 88

4R70W swap

Reply #5
Quote from: CougarSE;209900
Yes but that computer is designed to control an AODE not a 4R70W.

its basically the same thing.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

4R70W swap

Reply #6
go to FordvsChevy.com
talk to a guy named silverfox
knows his transmissions and builds and sells performance parts for them. he will have all the info you need
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

4R70W swap

Reply #7
Quote from: 32VFoxBird;209903
its basically the same thing.

Nope sure isn't..  To run a 4r70w with an AODE controller you have to change the Torque Converter Solenoid and the valve body controller with units out of an AODE.  After those modifications it will work.  If you don't it will burn the EEC up.
One 88

4R70W swap

Reply #8
Quote from: CougarSE;209908
Nope sure isn't..  To run a 4r70w with an AODE controller you have to change the Torque Converter Solenoid and the valve body controller with units out of an AODE.  After those modifications it will work.  If you don't it will burn the EEC up.

i did say basically. :raspberry
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

4R70W swap

Reply #9
Quote from: 32VFoxBird;209896
you can swap most of the 4r70's guts into your aod case. you can also purchase a manual valve body from PA, so you dont have to run a controller.

I've thought about that but I kinda like how the electronic control works. It's kinda nice to have a smart trans;)

Quote from: daboss351;209907
go to FordvsChevy.com
talk to a guy named silverfox
knows his transmissions and builds and sells performance parts for them. he will have all the info you need

I've talked to him on the clickclick racing forums before. I'm thinking I should start a thread on there about this.

Any more input on this guys? Good vs. bad idea? Go for it I want to know what you guys think.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

4R70W swap

Reply #10
Kid i know from FvC has it in his mark 7, he LOVES the trans
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

4R70W swap

Reply #11
Quote from: thunderjet302;209913

Any more input on this guys? Good vs. bad idea? Go for it I want to know what you guys think.

Its a good idea. 

Get a 4R70W out of a later model v6 mustang, 99+.  That transmission is stronger than your current AOD.  Do the mods I mentioned and enjoy.  In your situation you will gain many things.  MAF (something you should have already done), a better transmission and transmission shift point tune ability.
One 88

4R70W swap

Reply #12
It really depends how much money you want to spend. Doing a rebuild with your current AOD, using a 4R70W gearset would be the cheapest and still be plenty strong. With a shift kit and hi-rev govenor your AOD shift points could be greatly improved. Plus, the trans would still be a drop in. If my AOD goes any time soon, I will probably go this route.
1988 Thunderbird
306 HO w/ A9P processor
AOD w/ Transgo Reprogrammer
Full Digital Dash w/ twin Cyberdyne A-pillar gauges 
245/50/16 Tires on Snowflakes
Engine swap - CA smog compliant

4R70W swap

Reply #13
I'd say swap to a 4r70 if you can swing it, otherwise just throw the 4r70 gears in your aod and call it done (if it's a 89 or newer aod that is). 87-88 had a not so good output shaft that doesn't get enough fluid to something something higher rpms something burn up your transmission. I don't know what it doesn't get fluid too, but I am replacing mine anyway with a newer stlye hardened output shaft to avoid that problem.

I'm guessing here, but I think that in the long run you would have a a cheeper solution with the 4r70 because:

1. you get to keep lockup on the highway and it will still be reliable

2. Programmable shift points means you don't have to spend a bunch on a manual valvebody or shiftkit.

3. better 1st and 2nd ratios over aod.
1987 Tbird 5.0 swap, go fast mods coming soon....

4R70W swap

Reply #14
Quote from: GrannysBird;210094
87-88 had a not so good output shaft that doesn't get enough fluid to something something higher rpms something burn up your transmission.

<87 had this issue. 88+ had the revised oiling.
1988 Thunderbird Sport