Skip to main content
Topic: Always Keep a spare !! (Read 892 times) previous topic - next topic

Always Keep a spare !!

This morning I decided to take the bird out for a little hammering, as I have been working thru a variety of issues with things on this car. Thought I had all the bugs taken care of. New PCV setup so I am not blowing oil everywhere, changed my distributor back to my old 1983 version because my 88 was a POS.

Low and behold guess what happens !  BANG out the exhaust, car stalls and I figure not again (previously broke 2 roll pins in the gear on the dist shaft). I am like S@#* go out pop the hood and look at the distributor and what do I see, but a screw sticking out of the top of it. A plug wire hanging with a square thing sticking out of the bottom. Basically a big mess of things.

So around to the trunk and pull out the tools pop the D-cap and see that the rotor bolts are what is sticking out of the cap. All kinds of plastic shavings floating around,basically lunced the  thing. Go back to the trunk and pull out new cap and rotor, install and back on my way. :)

That was fun and all in a days work :mad:
1985 Thunderbird TC
2.3l .03 over,Ported and polished Head and E6 Manifold, LA3, T3/T4 Hybrid Turbo, Stinger FMIC, Forge BOV, Full 3" Exhaust, Essy Timing Gears & UDP's, BBK 255lph Fuel Pump, Kirban AFPR, Kirban Short Shifter, K&N Cone, Forced4 VC Vent Kit, PA Performance 3g Alternator, Energy Suspension Bushings throughout, CHE LCA's, SFC's [/LEFT]

Always Keep a spare !!

Reply #1
Nice to hear you had the right part when you need it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Always Keep a spare !!

Reply #2
I carry a spare tire,but that's about it.....unless I'm on a long trip,then the tool box goes as well,but I don't usually have any parts like that break.Love the 5.0.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Always Keep a spare !!

Reply #3
I had the mechanical advance self destruct in my truck one night.  That was a LONG night sitting along a major highway till dad got back with our car hauler.  I now carry a spare distributor and timing light:hick:

88 t-bird tc - 14.97 @ 90  IHI 18 psi + k+n filter...so far - NOW HX-35 @25psi - 12.75@112    348rwhp/395rwtq
78 F-150 - 11.61@120 on 175shot N20 - 12.55@110 on motor - 5200# race weight:hick: